Friday, October 27, 2023

Flowers, a Finish

Linda Brannock's Flowers quilt
Flowers is a Linda Brannock pattern and was offered as a sewalong hosted on a Facebook group from mid-2018 through the end of January, 2019.  And now, finally, it's finished (as of August 23).  It was a grey and windy day when I took these first two photos.  Sadly, I forgot my Canon digital camera so used my phone.  Not ideal but you get the idea.
Linda Brannock's Flowers quilt
I finished the blocks and the triangle squares for the sashing and borders then edited the pattern to make the quilt larger.  It didn't work.  The top had a time out while I decided what to do.  I finally unstitched and restitched following Linda's original pattern.  (Why, oh why do I imagine I can come up with a better way than the creator of a quilt pattern?!)  In the end, the only change in my finished quilt from the original pattern was that I increased the width of the border by an inch or so.  Now I'm satisfied with it.  

It took a while to decide on a quilting pattern.  I eventually chose diagonal lines at less than 45 degrees.  As the quilting progressed and I had to mark the lines as I went, I was concerned about having wavy lines across the quilt.  I don't think that happened.  Then as I was nearing the end of the quilting, I was thinking how much the quilting made it look like a mattress pad or a manufactured quilt.  I think the appliqued flowers help avoid that look.

I used a Mountain Mist 80 cotton/20 polyester batt which is puffier than some other cotton/poly battings I've used.  It may be one of the thickest bats I've quilted and makes the diagonal lines stand out.  It was easy to quilt through and did not beard.  It seems like it will be warm and cozy to sleep under.

One thing I learned from this quilt is that I should not use light quilting thread when the backing is a dark fabric, and vice versa, until my hand quilting is better.   (Will it ever improve?!)

The quilt top measured 84¼" x 62¼".  After quilting it measured 80 3/4" x 61¼".  And after washing and drying it measured 77" x 57 3/4".  All that to say the quilt lost 6" in length and 4½" in width.  It makes me think I need to make quilt tops larger than I want them to be when finished, but who can know how much larger when there's no standard shrinkage?
Linda Brannock's Flowers quilt
My favorite block of the whole quilt is the one with these three tiny, 3½" x 4", imperfect baskets.  I think they are adorable.
baskets from Linda Brannock's Flowers quilt
I'm linking this post to
> Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
> Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework
> Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
> Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
> Beauties Pageant at from bolt to beauty
Thank you for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.

16 comments:

  1. What a stunning finish!! I love the colors you used throughout and that fine quilting really makes the baskets stand out beautifully--nice work
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose. Surprisingly, I like how the colors worked together on this quilt, too.

      Delete
  2. Stunning finish. So beautiful, I love the rich color choices. And as always your lovely hand quilting brings the
    to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all the compliments, Lizzy. I appreciate them.

      Delete
  3. This is a gorgeous finish, the deep border color highlights the basket blocks perfectly. You should be well pleased every time you sleep under this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I slept under it last night and it was almost too warm, but then we're not into winter yet....

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on such a fabulous finish, Nancy. I've enjoyed seeing the progress of these blocks...love flowers, and was so tempted to join in. I'm glad you worked out the sashing/border details to your liking. The colours are all working together beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn. When I struggle with getting a quilt right (as in the sashing on this quilt), it feels like a bigger accomplishment than when everything goes smoothly.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful finish Nancy! You know I love everything about this quilt. You many convince me to go back and put those baskets in mine. I opted for a single stemmed bloom that I've never really liked. The quilting looks wonderful. That's a lot of shrinkage, I'm surprised. Are you going to give Audrey's SAL a try? It makes me a little nervous but I'm going to try. Enjoy your Halloween - hope the trick or treaters have some good weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I had forgotten that you put a stemmed flower in yours, but yours is already quilted, isn't it? I think your finish is great, too.
      I'm not sure about doing Audrey's sewalong. I'm in a slump and it almost feels like too much effort right now. Maybe I'll decide after she publishes her next post about the first quilt.
      I hope you've been having beautiful weather. It was grey and rainy today and rain is predicted for the next four days, which will be disappointing for the trick-or-treaters.

      Delete
  6. Very nice! Mine was on hold until recently when I finally found some orangey pieces. Now to finish more HST's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. So glad you found the fabric you needed to continue making yours!

      Delete
  7. It's just lovely. The baskets caught my eye, especially. After decades of using Warm & Natural I'm now trying Hobbs 80/20. Yes, it is "spongier." Easy to work with, but I'm not sure if it will become my preference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nann. I used Warm and Natural for a few small quilts but it seemed a little dense for hand quilting. I layered Hobbs 80/20 in Everyday Patchwork, the quilt I'm currently hand quilting. So many people think it's great. I like it but after the MM 80/20, it seems really thin. Like you, I don't know if it will become my preference, either.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on a wonderful quilt finish! It is just beautiful! After I saw you working on this quilt I was on the look out for the pattern, finally got one from Ebay. It seems we learn something from every quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca. So glad you found the pattern. I wish I'd known that you wanted it because I would have passed mine along to you. I doubt I'll make another one.
      That's so true about learning something from every quilt--sometimes lots of things!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...