Saturday, October 28, 2023

Busy Weeks

On the quilty side, I'll show you the last eight of my scrappy stars.  Aren't they just the craziest blocks? 
scrappy stars for #ScrappyStarStitchalong
If you want to compare them to the originals, click here to see Taryn's post and scroll down to blocks 13-20.  Mine are not very close to the originals but at this point, I don't think that matters much.
scrappy stars for Scrappy Star Stitchalong
I think these are the scrappiest blocks I've ever made, sometimes with 12 or more different fabrics in each block.  It was both freeing and encouraging.  All those little pieces of fabric I've saved, if they're at least 1½" by ~3", could become star points for Ohio Star blocks.  I need to decide on fabric for the alternate blocks for these stars and this quilt.

I have been cleaning, sorting, editing, and organizing the room where I have fabric, my sewing machine, all other creative supplies, my computer, paper supplies, and family history papers, files, and photographs.  Either I have too much stuff or the room is too small.  It is so easy for things to pile up and I've been trying to unearth.

We had a time-consuming interruption last week.  Nona and I were outside playing when I heard what I thought was a strange, new-to-me bird, except there were no birds around.  I listened for the sound and followed it to the unfenced side of  our back yard where I found a tiny kitten.  Oh, no.  You can probably imagine how that went.  (Let me lead your thoughts away from our keeping it.)  I still haven't gotten back to sorting and cleaning.
When we couldn't find anyone who wanted it, my daughter decided she would keep it, at least on a trial basis.  The kitten will go home with her next Wednesday. 

I probably don't need more fabric but a Bernina store on the north side of the city had a fabric swap this weekend.  People who want to sell fabric bundle and price it and people who want to buy fabric shop.  I'd not been before and didn't know what to expect. 
I found mostly high quality fabrics of all kinds, clean and neatly bundled, at great prices.  I bought a stack of 24 Civil War reproduction pieces that were at least a fat quarter or a third yard each, equaling 6 yards for $5.00.  Someone sold a Primitive Gatherings red and white charm pack for 50 cents.  And someone had neatly stuffed small- to medium-sized zipper sandwich bags full with pieces of Civil War prints and sold them for one, two, or three dollars.  There are no local shops that sell the variety of fabrics in those bags and I was thrilled to see them in person.  Of course, I bought six bags or so.  If I do make more scrappy stars, I can add some of these pieces to scraps I already have.

On the tech/blogging problems. I still don't know why comments appear on my blog posts but are not being sent to my email box.  Very frustrating.  I've checked blog settings but can't find the problem.  I did resolve the problem with not being able leave comments on others' blogs.  I use Mozilla's Firefox browser and it's very protective of my computer.  I learned that I have to turn off the protection and then I can comment.  If you're using Firefox and have the same problem, click on the shield icon to the left of the url box at the top of the page.  Then click on "Enhanced Tracking Protection" to turn it off.  It automatically goes back on at the next website you visit, or you can turn it back on after you publish your comment.

Another recent blogger problem is that I can't add photos to blog posts unless I'm in a private window and sign in to blogger.  Again, frustrating.  It probably has something to do with security protection, in which case I guess I should be grateful....

We are finally getting some bright autumn colors, but we've had plenty of rain lately, too, and more predicted for the next few days.  Where did October go?!  It's usually the most colorful month but this year it was mostly green and felt more like summer than fall, at least until the past few days.
I've babbled enough.  I hope all is well in your home and part of the world.

--Nancy.

P.S. If you leave a comment I'll respond here on this post and also send you an email if I have your email address.  So sorry for the inconvenience.

8 comments:

  1. The blocks are looking great and without a reference to the original, no one will ever know how much they differ. The kitten is adorable and I'm glad you found it a home. As for blog comments, I've had trouble in the past as well but found that deleting the email to send them to and saving that new setting then going back and reentering the email and saving again has helped. You might want to log out and back in between the deleting and reentering. Also I had issues with commenting until I used Chrome. Seems that Google only likes Google sites. Annoying but at least that is easier. (Can you hear my eyes rolling?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the information about getting comments to come to my email, Katie.  I made some changes and will see what happens, maybe with this comment!
      Thanks for your comment about the blocks.  I agree--only if compared to the original would someone notice that they're different.
      Kitten is still with us.  My daughter took her to the vet here and she was diagnosed with a cold.  It's better if she's here rather than with my daughter's two other cats, so they don't all end  up with a cold.  One of her cats is so feisty and grumbley that I can't imagine how awful she would be if she had a cold!

      Delete
  2. I really love your scrappy stars--you did such a beautiful job choosing all those colors --lovely work!! Our trees are just "golden" this year--they are lighting up our gray skies today--thankfully!! They are predicting our first freeze overnight, but I think it will be mostly North of us here on the coastline...
    I was able to hand quilt another line along the clouds at the top of my Autumn Stars piece--so will be resting my hands for a couple days now...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose.
      Many of our trees were golden, too, even the ones that in other years were other colors. Such an unusual autumn.
      Did you get a freeze the other night?
      I hope your hands are feeling better now. Sore hands are hard, especially with a hobby like quilting.

      Delete
  3. Love those star blocks, looking forward to seeing what you choose for your alternate blocks and borders. Sweet kitten, our Sammy wasn't much bigger when he showed up at our barn three years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I wish I had fabric on hand for the alternate blocks. I'd love to turn this into a top sooner than later. Maybe I should dig deeper and be more open-minded about a color for them.
      How is Sammy doing after three years? Is he an indoor cat now? And what color is he? You've probably posted photos before but I can't remember.

      Delete
  4. Your Srappy Stars are really great! I resisted the urge to join the Scrappy Stars QAL, though I did join Audrey's Bramble Blooms (Quilty Folk blog). I looks like you got some really nice fabrics at the sale. I hope it works out for the kitten at your daughter's home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca.  I enjoyed making the stars and think I might continue to make more.  I think they are the scrappiest blocks I've ever made!  If I make more I might use a little restraint so they're not quite so scrappy as the original stars.
      I just posted for Bramble Blooms, if Audrey will have me, I'll join in.
      I just sorted the small bags of fabrics by color tonight.  If I hadn't just finished the Scrappy Stars blocks, I might not have bought those bags, but I do love the fabrics that are in them.
      The kitten is still with us.  It has a cold and my daughter doesn't want her other two cats to catch it.  She's a very sweet kitten.  (One of my daughter's other cats is a tortoise shell--I never knew cat personalities related to coat color--and she holds true to the attitude they're reputed to have:  sassy, independent, uncuddly....  My daughter will be thrilled to have a somewhat cuddly cat who likes to sleep on a lap.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...