Thursday, February 22, 2024

Links to Enjoy #20

I've included just four links this time.  I've been busy with Bramble Blooms and having the flu and not spending much time doing other things.

I love this video of Ken Burns, documentarian extraordinaire, sharing his quilt collection at his barn.



You can also watch a video of his quilt exhibit at the International Quilt Museum in Nebraska here.  

Anna DevĂ­s and Daniel Rueda take such fun photographs.  Always a twist on people and the environment.  I love the photo of the lady in a red skirt, pulled wide into the shape of a mouth, standing below two arched windows.  Suddenly, the wall is smiling!

Welcome to Monowi, Nebraska: population 1.  The post at the link was written a few years ago.  Elsie Eiler, now 90, is the sole the resident or Monowi and serves as mayor, librarian, tavern owner, and more. 

It's about mindset and movement:  My Mother Got on a Bike.  It Changed Her life.  (If you can't read the article at that link, go here and click the link to read it.)

This chart, right, goes along with the concept of mindset from the above article. 

If you're new to this concept and want to learn more, read Carol S. Dweck's book, Mindset:  The New Psychology of Success.  Or watch one of her youtube presentations or interviews.  I thought this one was good (though it's a little long at 47 minutes), but there are others, too.

Enjoy!
--Nancy.

6 comments:

  1. In the time I had I got through the first three links, and enjoyed them all. But the Ken Burns video was especially interesting to me.
    The photos in the next link were really clever.
    And I am fascinated by the town of one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love that Ken Burns video, Janet.  So interesting.I was thinking it might be fun to go to google maps and see if the one-woman town has been photographed yet.  If so, we could "drive" down the main street and take a look.

      Delete
  2. You always come up with great things to learn and experience. I could have used that mindset chart today. I had an especially hard conundrum on familysearch to figure out. I found it last night and decided to sleep on it instead of trying to tackle it with a tired mind. It took me all morning to figure out what was correct - there was a family where the oldest son supposedly married his step-sister. It just didn't seem right and it wasn't but it took a lot of investigation and time. Thanks for the new links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin.  Mindset is such an interesting concept.  I'm glad you were able to solve your genealogy problem.  It sounds like it was a hard one.
      When I first began family history, one of my mom's cousins told me the name of our great-grandmother's parents.  She had immigrated from England in 1866.  I found death certificates for her and her older sister (with parents' names "unknown") and for her siblings {with parents names given).  I thought that very strange.  I kept looking and found that my great-grandmother's mother had died a number of years before the family moved to the U.S. and that her father had remarried.  My g-grandmother had only one sibling and many step-siblings.  Sometimes it takes a while to work out problems.  So glad you were able to do it in such a short time!

      Delete
  3. I always find the mind set/ resets really annoying. No empathy for struggling people. Tho my fave I use, I tell myself, "If every idiot on eBay/etsy/ Blogger/ etc can do this, I can do it too."

    I am so sorry you had the flu! Did you have a flu shot but still got sick? Take your time, feel better!

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your experience with mindset is interesting, Lizzy.  After reading Dweck's book, it seems to me that mindset is more inward than outward focused--a fixed mindset sees oneself as a finished person who is unable to change or grow and a growth mindset sees oneself as a person with continuing possibilities for learning, growth, and change.  I don't know what to think about your experience with mindset and how it relates to lack of empathy for struggling people.
      My husband and daughter both had flu shots and both got the flu.  I didn't have one and my flu was milder than theirs.  Go figure!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...