Sunday, July 28, 2024

Post-Surgery Thank You and a Few Stitches

Thank you, dear readers, for your good wishes, words of encouragement, thoughtful comments, and prayers in response to my last post.  I appreciate all of them.     

It's been four weeks, almost five, since surgery, and a few stitches on this basket are all I have to show for that time.  I haven't felt very motivated and the doctor tells me no sewing on my knee-pedal Singer.  (But I did finish one book and am almost finished with another.)  (And I have a new knee!)
Knee replacement surgery is not for the faint of heart!  The surgery itself isn't the challenge (the doctor takes care of that), it's all the work that comes after the surgery.  Just when you want to go home and let your knee rest and recuperate, along come the physical therapists who give you a dozen painful exercises to do ten times each, three times a day.  My poor arthritic knees were in bad shape (and one still is) which, I think, means that the exercises are more painful or just, perhaps, harder to do.  Extend the leg so the knee is at 0 degrees; and bend the leg, heel to bottom, to a minimum of 120 degrees.  Ouch!  And then there are the strengthening exercises, which I started last week. 

I went into surgery thinking I'd done my research, knew what was coming, and was at least moderately prepared.  I won't make that mistake again....  Several websites tell me that a knee replacement surgery is one of the hardest and most painful.  Even hip replacements were not as painful as this.  I guess it takes about a year to full heal.

So, on June 3, Judy of Small Quilts and Doll Quilts had surgery.  I think she must be the poster child for quickest healing after a knee replacement surgery:  she proclaimed herself all well and healed on June 24! 

The hospital gave me a box of tissues.  I liked the box better than the tissues.
This is a view from my walker. I move with the stars around me. Haha.

I'm using the walker less and less, but I'm not up to speed yet.  I will try to visit your blogs and leave comments as I'm able.  And thank you again for your comments on my last post.

--Nancy.

14 comments:

  1. oh I do hope that your recovery will progress at a quick pace for you. PT is not for the faint of heart, that is for sure!! ;((((
    My DH has just come home [ last Friday] after carotid artery surgery and is starting to come back to normal...he is in resting mode and getting anxious to feel normal again...at 85 it will take a while longer for him...
    Take care and hang in there Nancy--we are all pulling for you...;)))
    Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose.  The doctor commented that it had only (only!) been five weeks and seemed to think I've been making good progress.  I shouldn't complain....
      I hope Tom's appointment went well today and that the doctor is happy with his healing.  I'm glad the medication for your thrust has finally helped.  I've not had thrush but it sounds miserable.  With you, I hope that your August is free of all problems!

      Delete
  2. All best wishes to you as you continue to heal, hopefully each week will bring a bit more flexibility to your knee and overall balance. That tissue box has a lot of applique possibilities for Bramble Blooms or other projects. Fun, the new kleenex boxes also have some fun designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat.  I'm seeing progress as far as flexibility though I still need to continue to work on balance and strength.  I have several more weeks of physical therapy. 
      I'll have to take a look at the new Kleenix boxes.  The box from the hospital tissues made me think of Bramble Blooms, or even just Audrey's style of flowers and leaves for applique.

      Delete
  3. Glad you feel good enough to post. I'm sorry it's such a challenge but it sounds like you're doing all the thing you should to make a full recovery. This has been an unproductive quilting summer. I've been working at the frames and I have 3 of the 8 rows stitched. That's about it. I saw a great quilt last week by Edyta Sitar called Scraptacular. It came out a while ago but it looks like something that might spark some interest. Wish I could come over and wile away the afternoon talking "Quilt".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin.  It seems like recovery has been a long haul, even at five weeks, and I know I have a few more weeks of physical therapy, but at least I'm seeing progress even if my knee is still painful.  One of these months....
      Hand quilting seems so slow sometimes.  I think I have 3 rows finished of 8 with my Everyday Patchwork quilt.  I'm stalled and I don't quite know why.  I need to pull it out and get on with it--like you with your quilt. 
      Scraptacular looks like a fun quilt that would use lots and lots of scraps.  Do you think you'll make one.
      Yes, it would be wonderful if we lived close enough to have a quilt visit, Robin!

      Delete
  4. Hi! I was happy to see your post and get an update. PT is not for the faint of heart, but I know you will try. Just do your best, give yourself that year if that is what it takes.
    Sending lots of support and good wishes to you always.'

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate your good wishes and support. I've really made good progress with PT but I still have a ways to go, with several more weeks of appointments scheduled. Both the doctor and PT are happy with my progress, I guess it's just me that's disappointed at the continued pain and what seems like slow progress. I guess I should just be grateful for the progress no matter how long it takes.

      Delete
  5. The tissue box image would be great in fabric! Sorry your recovery is taking longer than you'd like. (Do you have to have the other knee done?) What book did you finish and what are you reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of your comments came to my inbox even though you deleted one.  (I finished the deletion from my side of blogger.)
      I had both hips replaced 20-some years ago.  I knew knees would take a while but I think I forgot how long a month seems when I'm only partially mobile and in pain.  Yes, I have to have the other one done, scheduled tentatively for October 22.  Dreading it, of course, but then after it heals, both knees should be in great shape.
      I read Jacqueline Winspear's last Maisie Dobbs mystery, The Comfort of Ghosts, and one you mentioned in a post (thank you), The Hazelbourne Ladies Motorcycle and Flying Club.  I enjoyed both.

      Delete
  6. i feel your pain and understand well the challenges...my doctor nixed knee replacement surgery for me due to other medical issues but i have heard so many say how much worse it was than hip replacement. sending prayers for quicker and comoplete recovery...the leg joints are all connected and trying to move one with any leg injury affects them all....not for the faint of heart at all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers for my recovery, Grace. I appreciate them. Really, I'm making progress... it just seems so slow. I'm sure I shouldn't complain. I had both hips replaced 20-some years ago and I remember thinking how painful and slow the recovery was, but since having this knee done, I agree with those who say a knee replacement is worse.
      I hope you're somehow managing the pain in your knee. It's hard to keep going with pain like that.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad to hear the surgery is done. A year from now, you'll hardly remember the recovery, particularly if you do all those annoying PT exercises! The tissue box is cute and looks to be a good inspiration for a quilt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie.  I'm glad the surgery is done, too, but it's hard to imagine not remembering the recovery and PT exercises!  (I still vividly remember post hip replacement surgeries.)  But, I hope it will all be worth it when my knee is finally healed.  Sadly, I have upcoming surgery on the other knee in a few months.
      I thought the tissue box looked quilty, or at least like sewn or embroidered embellishments.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...