Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Hand Quilting Is Not Like Bicycling

I haven't had my fingers on a quilting needle for nearly a month.  When I picked up the needle the other day I realized that hand quilting is not like bicycling -- at least not for me. 


I never forget how to balance and pedal on a bicycle.  But it will take me a block or two before I find a hand quilting rhythm, and perhaps longer before I can stitch the quarter-inch seam evenly around a block.  Right now those quilting lines are a little wobbly and uneven.

The photo below shows colors that truer to real life.


I'm linking this post to
WOW = WIPS on Wednesdays at Esther's Blog
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
Let's Bee Social #101 at Sew Fresh Quilts
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework
Thank you, ladies, for hosting.

Remember you can still link to Quilty Inspiration #10 with your posts about the origins of a quilt or quilted project.

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope life is good for you.

--Nancy.
.

8 comments:

  1. It will take you no time at all to get back in the rhythm. It is going to be beautiful when it is finished. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hand quilting look! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pattern is lovely and your color choices are great. The quilting will come back to you and it's going to turn out great! I do hand quilting, too, and I'm always my own worst critic. Others never notice our wonky lines...they see the quilt in total. Enjoy the process. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carla. I like the colors, too, and I think we are similar: I am a great critic of my own work and can so easily see the mistakes and imperfections, both large and small, especially when I'm in the midst of the work. I enjoy the process and know that most mistakes in quilting won't be obvious after the quilt is washed and dried and in use. Thanks so much for visiting and for your words of encouragement.

      Delete
  4. This is such a lovely quilt and your hand quilting looks fabulous to me. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THat's a very nice quilt, and it's really lovely that you're hand quilting it. Your work looks marvelous - when it's washed, you will not even see the wobbles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am the same way, it always takes me a couple of blocks to get back in the rhythm.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...