Sunday, January 17, 2016

Green Star, Scrappy Background

I'm stitching a tiny little repair on some underwear today that won't take but a minute or two.  And I'm stitching the last few stars (I think) onto scrappy backgrounds.  (Did I mention that I love these stars and that I love stitching them?)
This green one is partially done.  I hope to finish it today.  The light one, below left, is finished and the other two are next in line to be stitched.

I've never made a quilt like this before and while I'm having fun playing with the circles I'm not sure how to resolve the color placement of the circles.  I go back and forth between choosing the circles based on the interaction of stars and colors of the whole quilt and/or based on their interaction in each individual block.  


Before I began I chose colors for the stars and circles and I felt like they were compatible and looked good together.  I've added a few fabrics (another blue, two reds, an orange), removed a few others (too much gold), and I still think they all work well together.  However, that doesn't mean that any two fabrics touching will look fabulous side-by-side.  So I continue to stitch and play.  (Can you love quilt blocks too much?)

Have you made quilts with multiple layers in multiple colors?  How did you choose the colors of the layers?  Did you choose before you ever cut or stitched?  Did you choose intuitively as the work progressed?  Or after the first layer was stitched on all the blocks?  Were you concerned about the interplay of colors across the whole quilt, or within one block, or both?

I'm linking this post to
 Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts and
 Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

I hope you're having a calm, peaceful, rejuvenating Sunday.

--Nancy.
.

8 comments:

  1. I think you are doing a great job choosing your colors. The blocks you have made look wonderful. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder you love those stars! They look great on those scrappy backgrounds. I am a fly by the seat of your pants kind of girls. Most of the time I am happy with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy! Your star project looks beautiful! How fun to choose the circles and I love always stars! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is coming together beautifully. I suspect it's true with making any quilt it's helpful to have an open mind and be ready to make changes and substitutions as the work progresses. Even more so in a scrappy quilt with extra fabrics being added in layers. Flexibility is a good attitude and skill to develop alongside the 'creative process'. Thank you for keeping us up-to-date with the making of this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think you can love quilt blocks too much - especially these ones! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the scrappiness of this -- it's really wonderful! I especially like the creamy neutrals that make your base. Maybe it's just the time of year, but I find myself very much drawn to creams and tans and white on white prints! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nancy, Thanks for visiting Spiral! The blocks are 12". I'm making that quilt as a sample for the Civil War Quilts club being offered by my local shop.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...