Tuesday, June 7, 2016

One Monthly Goal (OMG) for June

My One Monthly Goal for June is to finish hand quilting this quilt.

Sister's Choice (variation) quilt block

The reason it's not already finished is the half-blocks on the ends.  When I made those pieced side-setting triangles I knew the grain of the fabric needed to align with the edges of the quilt and I redrafted the half blocks so the bias wouldn't be along the edges.  I extended them a little because I didn't know what I was doing.  (You know, that first-time-and-let's-see-if-this-works experience.)  I left them that size, thinking it would be easier to cut them off than have them too small.  In retrospect, I think that was probably a bad idea.

pieced side-setting triangle

This quilt is one of those too-long quilts and now I want to get rid of the extra 1 1/2" on each end.  A more experienced quilter might consider it an easy fix (or wouldn't be in this situation at all) but I see problems:  seams unraveling, crooked or wavy edges, etc. . . .

There are eight of these half-blocks and I've quilted parts of four of them:  all the parts that don't go to the edge of the quilt.  I'll have to spend some time deciding how to measure and mark the edges, and then quilt them.

These setting triangles have become such an ordeal (a mental roadblock, so to speak) that instead of just quietly finishing the quilt, I have to set fixing those edges as a specific monthly goal so I can finish it!

I think one of the wonderful things about life is that we can learn as we go. 

I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal June Linkup: Goalsetting at Red Letter Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Heidi.

--Nancy.
.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Missy. I've been contemplating it a while and I think I know what to do. I just hope it works!

      Delete
  2. It is a beautiful quilt, well worth the extra effort of figuring out the edges. Learning can be a bit of a headache at times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, sometimes a headache, Allison. I could probably leave the quilt long but.... I hope my solution works without any glitches. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...