Thursday, September 21, 2017

Flags and Crows Joins 2017 Bloggers Quilt Festival


Amy of Amy's Creative Side is once again hosting the Bloggers Quilt Festival this fall.  It's a festival where many quilting bloggers share their favorite finishes from the past 12 months. 

This year Simply Flags and Crows is participating in the Festival.  I rarely use patterns and when I do, I usually adapt them one way or another.  That's true with this quilt, too.  I wanted this for my front door and began it the last week in June and finished it in time for the Fourth.  Record speed for me!  But then, it's a small quilt, finishing at about 18" x 24".  It was such a speedy quilt that I didn't take measurements as I went along or even at the finish.

This is a primitive pattern and practically everything about the quilt is primitive, including the stitching and thread.


The fabrics are mostly plaids and a few prints and the thread was an old spool of thick cotton that came in a box at an auction, or possibly from a thrift store.  It was sturdy and worked for this quilt.



I can report that this quilt hung on our front door for over two months and I haven't noticed any fading of the fabric.




I hope you'll visit this year's Bloggers Quilt Festival and enjoy the great variety of quilts submitted by participants.

--Nancy.

15 comments:

  1. Lovely finish with you quilt.
    How great to be able to use it on the door to your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen. I can never decide what to do for patriotic holidays and this seemed just about perfect.

      Delete
  2. Such a great prim. looking quilt! Your reds are very happy and sparky looking in this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely prim, Audrey, and sparky is a good description for those reds. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I love this little quilt. This would look so great in my red, white, and blue living room or in the dining area where I keep all my crows. I wish I had something to link to the the Quilt Festival but the finishes have been few and far between this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it sounds like this would be a good quilt for your home, Robin.

      I was hard-pressed to find any finishes this year. I was surprised (and a little depressed) to realize that in the past 12 months I've finished exactly 2 small quilts, 1 baby quilt, and 1 approximately twin-sized quilt. All year I've been trying to finish and all I've really managed to finish are a few applique blocks and a few small tops.

      But surely you must have finished at least one quilt you could enter the festival?

      Delete
  4. Nancy this is a great quilt. Glad to see it hanging on your door. Congratulations on a quick finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cocoa. Sometimes a small, quick finish is the best I can managed (and they give me a small, immediate sense of accomplishment).

      Delete
  5. Two great entries. Always love your ability to use what you have to make great quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennie. You're so kind. I do occasionally buy new fabric but I seem to have trouble cutting into it sometimes. I just keep using (and love to use) scraps....

      Delete
  6. Wonderful way to greet your guests! Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the simplicity of this little Patriotic quilt. Nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorites of your quilts - good choice for the Bloggers Quilt Festival!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...