Sunday, April 28, 2024

Slow Sunday Stitching

Today I'll be appliqueing this block.  The two stems on the right are finished and I just started stitching the stem on the left.  I fold over and pin pieces (the leaf and the flower) if they're in the way.  After the stems are stitched, I'll finish the inside of the basket handle, then sew the leaves, and finally the flowers.
I'm amazed at the detail an enlarged photo will show compared to what I see through my glasses.  I was surprised to realize that some of the pins look like they are rusty!  What?!  I can't feel the rust with my fingers nor see the rust when I look at them.  I suppose I should get rid of those pins, don't you think?  Leave them in longer than a week and I'll have a rusty zinnia.  (If you want to see, you can click the photo to open it in another tab, then click again to enlarge.)

I may also continue quilting Everyday Patchwork.  I haven't put a stitch in this for several weeks, at least.
I was going to post last week for Slow Sunday Stitching but didn't manage it.  Below is the block I was stitching, which is now finished.  (Though no photo of its finish.) 
I added another leaf on the right side of the stem on the right.

I don't see any rusty pin in this block, below.

It seems that summer has waltzed into town.  We've had a beautiful, relaxed, and slow early spring.  Lately the temperatures have been in the mid-60s and low 70s, but today it's in the 80s, and probably will be for the next week or so, if my weather app is correct.  It's time for short sleeves, at least for now.  It could be in the 50s again in two weeks.

I'm sorry to have learned of the death of one of my blogging friends.  Susan Nixon, who blogged at Desert Sky Quilts, passed away last week.  She'd fought cancer for several years.  Rest in peace, Susan.  Maybe you knew her?

I'm linking this post to Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.  Click through to see others' handwork.  Thanks for hosting, Kathy.

--Nancy.

12 comments:

  1. Just really like your little plaid baskets--your applique is so neat and lovely...nice work hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how the camera picks up what the naked eye doesn't. Your baskets with flowers are so cheery and pretty. They just make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kim! Having a camera with a macro setting is almost better than having a magnifying glass. Thanks for your comments about the baskets. I'm looking forward to (eventually) having them all finished and choosing how to put them together into a quilt.

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean about getting back to the hand quilting. I only worked at the hoop one morning this week. At this rate I won't be done till October and that's not an option. I've got to give it more attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I'm not alone in this, Robin. I'm trying to figure out what my hold-up is but haven't yet, so still no progress on the quilt! I hope you've made progress on your quilt by now!

      Delete
  4. Your Baskets are a perfect slow stitching project for a spring Sunday. The zinnies look so cute.

    The rusty pins! Like you I couldn't see them until I enlarged your photo. Will you discard them or de-rust in an emery strawberry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lizzy. Yes, those baskets are perfect for a slow Sunday.
      I forgot to do something with those pins and they are now back in my pin box! I don't feel like searching them out just now but I probably should. I don't have an emery but I think I would have used fine sandpaper to remove the rust. Or put them in vinegar.

      Delete
  5. Just caught up on your posts, Nancy. Always enjoy my visits with you. Thanks for those links too. I especially love the slow stitching projects and that consistent interesting vibe you always achieve. Meanwhile, my projects look like they are made by a person with multiple personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, Jocelyn. I do have several other sets of quilt blocks in the works but haven't managed to take photos to post. If I were more focused and had more energy, you might see a bigger variety here!
    I don't think "multiple personalities" is the correct view, Jocelyn. I like to think of a wide variety of quilts-in-process like yours as eclectic. In fact, had I realized that my blog would become a mostly-quilting blog, I would probably have named it "The Eclectic Quilter" or some such.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been watching for news on Susan at Desertsky, so thank you for sharing this information. She was such a cheerleader for us quilters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I used to check on Susan every week or two, just to ask how she was doing and let her know that I was thinking of her. I think she died the day I sent my last email. Her oldest child let me know.
      Yes, she was a great cheerleader for us, and so generous, too.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...