Thursday, August 24, 2023

Everyday Patchwork--August One Monthly Goal Finish

My version of Cheri Payne's Everyday Patchwork is finally layered, pin-basted, and quilting is in progress.  That was my One Monthly Goal for August.

Of course, now I can see how some blocks could have been placed differently.
Cheri Payne's Everyday Patchwork
I deliberated what quilting pattern to use.  I'd been leaning toward Baptist Fans and finally made the decision to go with three arcs per fan, each about 1¼" apart.  I've never marked the fans before and I didn't really want to this time, but I always feel uncertain about the irregularity of my freehand/free motion hand quilted arcs.  I found encouragement in this article, "How-to Quilt it Freehand," by Joe Cunningham at Threads magazine.  My arcs will never look like his, but then this is a primitive-style quilt in which perfection is not expected, right?

Quilt beginnings with dark green thread, right through the appliques.  Will I like it?  I don't know but I wanted to try all-over quilting on an appliqued quilt.
I love the combination of teals, dark greens, and greens-leaning-toward-blues.  Cheri used black for her background but I just couldn't do it.  These dark greens were the closest to black I could find on my shelves that looked pleasing to me.

It's a wonder I'm getting anything done.  I have little energy and no motivation.  Maybe it's the heat.  Even with central air conditioning, the humidity and high dew point make themselves known.   I'm looking forward to fall and cooler weather.

Just for Fun....
sunflower
My husband grew a small patch of sunflowers a number of years ago....  The centers, with their amazing symmetry, never fail to attract and hold my attention.
sunflower

And our girl, Nona, tight-lipped and not thrilled to be the Airedale-of-interest for the camera.  (She is always thrilled to be the Airedale-of-interest in person and loves any bit of attention.)  This is one of the first photos in which she looked my way and held a pose.  I'm still working to help her adjust to being photographed.  
Airedale Nona

I'm linking this post to
> One Monthly Goal Finish Link-up at Elm Street Quilts
> Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
> Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese
> Finished (or not) Friday at Alycia Quilts
> National Dog Day 2023 at Quilt Fabrication
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

I hope all is well in your part of the world!

--Nancy.

20 comments:

  1. Progress! What a pretty dog she is. I never realized Airedales were so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, progress.  Slow, but sure.Airedales can look neat and tidy when their hair is either clipped short or they've been stripped, or they can look scruffy when their hair begins to grow out.  They are my dog of choice so either way I think they are adorable (which is also partly their personalities).
      I hope you're feeling better and able to more of the things you'd like to so, Susan.

      Delete
  2. Oh Nona is such a cutiepie!! :))) My DH just loves Airedales...I had to call him over to see her pix. We have a trail camera set up to try to catch wildlife coming through our woods and they shy away from the camera--amazingly the deer try to knock it over!! Must be the sound when it takes a picture...
    Lovely sunflower--
    I just love how your quilt came together--I will be interested to see how "all-over" quilting will look on appliques too...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Nona is really cute, Julierose.  So glad to learn your husband loves Airedales, too.  Great dogs!
      You have smart wildlife to stay away from the camera, or try to know it over.  I'm sure that's not so great for your camera.
      I wonder how the Fans will look on the appliques, too.  When I was quilting another quilt someone commented that a century or two ago people quilted through the applique, which is what gave me the idea.  It might not be something I'll do again but there's not a lot of applique on this quilt so I thought it was worth trying.

      Delete
  3. I too find those flower centers mesmerizing in their beauty. And look at another beauty, Nona, there sitting so prettily. I have never done all over hand quilting but would love to give it a go sometime. Right now I'm going block by block and it's easy going. Good luck with the arcs, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jocelyn. I've done all-over Baptist Fans before, just not over applique. And these fans, with three arcs, are smaller than I've done in the past. I got tired of having to move the hoop to finish the arcs and thought I'd alleviate that problem with smaller fans this time.

      Delete
  4. Your quilting looks lovely. I like the quilting through the applique. I makes me feel like the applique is more secure somehow. This is going to be such a fun quilt to work on. I'll have to go listen to what Joe Cunningham has to say. He's quite an interesting quilter. He doesn't tie knots at the beginning or end of his thread, he just weaves it into the batting. I'm slowing down with the humidity too. We've had a lot of rain from Hurricane Hannah's leftovers in the Pacific and the leftovers of one in the gulf. It's been a crazy month weather wise. But, when we have a wet late summer we have a very colorful fall so I'm hoping. Nona is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. My quilting stitches are neither tiny nor consistently the same size, but I would rather have imperfect hand quilting than machine quilting--for now, anyway. Yes, those appliques are probably more secure with hand quilting through them.
      I don't know much about Joe Cunningham but I think he and Gwen Marston worked together for a while and wrote at least one book together, too. I don't know how I feel about not beginning a line of stitching without a knot....
      I did not realize you would be affected by the hurricanes on the west coast. Wow! Our humidity has been in the 80s and 90s with the dew point in the high 70s. I hope you have a colorful fall! I didn't realize that a wet late summer results in a more colorful fall.

      Delete
  5. This quilt turned out great, and I love that you are doing Baptist Fans. That is a favorite of mine. Very nice quilting.
    The centers of the sunflowers are mesmerizing!
    Maybe Nona is finally getting over being camera shy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet.  I thought the fans might unify the quilt.  It could have been fun to quilt each block with outline stitching but I couldn't imagine how that would look on the back.  Though maybe it would have been great. 
      We get a photo or two of Nona looking at the camera, but then go days and days and days with her resisting.  Little by little she'll make progress.

      Delete
  6. Great choice on the quilting!!! Looking good! I recommend linking Nona and your blog up to QuiltFabrication for National Dog Day today: https://www.quiltfabrication.com/2023/08/national-dog-day-2023.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion to add this post to the link part at Quilt Fabrication, Nancy, which is exactly what I did.Thank you, too, for  your kind words about the quilting.

      Delete
  7. I like your dark green-blues much better than a plain black. They lend more texture behind the appliques. Baptist fans are going to be perfect for this quilt, and add texture without detracting from all those wonderful blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment about the greens. That's exactly how I felt.
      I hope the Fans don't detract from the blocks. I thought about individualizing the quilting in each block but didn't think it would be effective, especially on the back of the quilt -- but maybe it would have. I think I'll be okay with the fans.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful project! I love Fans, perfect choice.

    Nona is darling! Try holding a treat in your teeth to get the dog to look at you while taking pics, or if the treat sounds icky, hold it w the camera. or phone. She will look at the treats. Then praise her and give her the treat. Mo turns away too, if not enticed properly. I have been low energy too. I love summer but it does sap one's inner resources sometimes.

    love
    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments about the quilt, Lizzy.
      That's a great idea to try holding a treat in my mouth.  Nona would rather have praise and pets than treats but she's getting used to treats.  I don't think she had them at her previous place.
      I wonder if the phrase "lazy days of summer" refers more to the lack of energy we have than that people get to take it easy from their work.  (I think of farmers and their families in and before the early 1900s when there was no air conditioning.  How ever did they keep going?!)

      Delete
  9. Love the sunflower photos. Cheering you on as you continue to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Anne-Marie. I appreciate that.

      Delete
  10. Nona is too cute- she just doesn't like the camera in front of your face... she can't see you ;-) Your quilt is so lovely - I think the quilting is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments about both the quilt and Nona, Alycia. You may be right about her wanting to see my face without the camera in front of it but I really think it's the camera she doesn't like. Either way, I need to help her learn to be photographed!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...