Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Symmetry or Size?

The only sewing I've done on this quilt to date is sewing the star points onto the sashing.  I rarely cut all the blocks for a quilt at the same time but this quilt seemed to need it.


Whenever I make a quilt I often have this running discussion with myself about symmetry and size.  Do you want the pattern to be symmetrical or is the size of the quilt more important? 

The way this quilt is laid out, above, it is not symmetrical.  The first row of three stars shifts left, the second row shifts right, the third row, left, etc.  I have to decide whether I can live with the out-of-balance arrangement because the size, 69½" x 84½" (before quilting, washing, and drying), will be better:  a decent size for a twin bed or a nap.

Or is the symmetry more important?  Three stars in the first row, two in the second, three in the third, etc.  If so, I would remove the right and bottom rows and have a quilt top that measures 60" x 74" (before quilting, washing, and drying).  Not quite bed size and definitely not long enough for tall people who want to tuck the quilt under their feet for a good nap.  (Doesn't everyone tuck a quilt under and around their feet?)

To add to the decision about size, there's the consideration of how much shrinkage there will be after a quilt's been washed and dried.  In some quilts I've lost 6" in both directions!  That's a lot to lose.

Sizes of quilts has been of ongoing interest to me.  From several quilting books (both modern and vintage quilts) and my own quilts, I noted size ranges of finished quilts. 

chart of quilt size ranges collected from several quilting books

I often look at these sizes when deciding how big to make a quilt.  I find it hard to tell when unstitched pieces are laying on the floor.

I tell myself that when a quilt is on a bed, or wrapped around a person, or folded on a shelf, no one notices whether it's symmetrical.  It's only when a quilt is hung for show or photographed on a floor that we notice whether the pattern of a quilt is symmetrical.  I think this quilt stays as it is.  (Unless I decide it should be larger.)

What do you do?  If you can't have both, do you choose symmetry or size?

I'm linking this post to
> WOW at Esther's Blog
> Let's Bee Social #212 at Sew Fresh Quilts
> Midweek Makers 107 at Quilt Fabrication
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.
. 

20 comments:

  1. This quilt looks symmetrical to me because the top row shifting to left is balanced by the bottom row shifting to the right. It's a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of it (or didn't see it) quite that way, Robin. Thanks for the insight!

      Delete
    2. Yep! I was seeing the balance of the quilt the same way as Robin :-) It is pleasing to my eye.

      Delete
  2. I go by the size 95% of the time. There's always that one quilt that needs to be symmetrical. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I should generally go with size, too (except for that occasional one), especially because we rarely see a whole quilt all at once.

      Delete
  3. It depends on the design, for me. The symmetry of this quilt won't be noticeable when all is said and done, IMHO. If this was mine, I'd go with size. Now if I was making a trip around the world, or a quilt with a chain pattern that needed closure on each side, symmetry might rule.
    I love this twinkly looking design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, some designs (to my mind) demand symmetry, Janet, but I generally tend that way anyway. It's strange that my eyes pick up balance/symmetry in block patterns but not necessarily in color placement or other aspects of design.

      I hope the stars continue to twinkle after quilting!

      Delete
  4. I most often go with size. I can't remember who but someone put out a quilt book about symmetry years ago. All I remember about it was there are a lot of different ways to achieve symmetry. Also, when a quilt is quilted it can take up some of those inches you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should see if I can find the book about symmetry. I think it would be interesting to see what the author has to say. (It's probably out of print or our library doesn't have it, but I'll look.)

      You're so right about the quilting taking up inches, Bonnie. And the washing and drying, too!

      Delete
  5. I think your quilt looks great the way it is right now! Most of the time I try to keep mine symmetrical too, but it doesn't seem necessary in this case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the layout of this quilt and the compliment, too. I left it was it was but I admit that if this quilt is on a bed, it might bother me that there's no strip of stars in down the center of the bed.... I'm crazy!

      Delete
  6. Agree, I like it the way it is. Every other row shifting is symmetry enough for me. Love the way the stars sparkle on the neutral ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jennie. I just told someone else that I think not having a column of stars in the center when I put it on a bed might bother me just a little. BUT, it's already sewn together and I think it's staying as it is. (I think....)

      Delete
  7. I like it this way - 3 left, 3 right. Makes it more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Susan. Everyone who left a comment agreed with you and I finally sewed the blocks together in that arrangement.

      Delete
  8. The size of my quilts vary according to pattern and purpose. I've got one top started simply to match a piece of flannel backing I want to use up. This simple star quilt of yours will make a great lap quilt. I can envision a flying geese border to softly frame it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gypsy Quilter. I was thinking the other day about the reasons to make a quilt and one reason was to use up a piece of fabric. This quilt may be bigger than a lap quilt but I won't know for sure until after it's quilted, washed, and dried. I was deliberating about a border and finally decided against one -- until I read your comment. Maybe it will have a border or maybe it will have a wider-than-usual, dark blue binding. I don't know yet!

      Delete
  9. It looks like you have your answer Nancy which is good because I'm not good with the eyeing of these blocks. It all looks good to me! But thanks for raising this issue...will I have to deal with it with the snowball blocks I'm making- not sewn together yet and just going with one light, one dark together. Maybe they won't make that much of a pattern to worry about symetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jocelyn. I don't think snowball blocks will be a challenge with regards to symmetry unless you want every corner to have a dark (or light) snowball....

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...