Wednesday, July 18, 2018

A Little of This, a Little of That Sweet Land of Liberty

When you applique by hand do your blocks end up not lying flat?  Like this one?  This is a poor photo with not-quite-right colors but it was the one that showed how it's not flat.


After this photo, I pressed it and most of the "ruffles" came out but there are still a few waves at the edge.  Should I be concerned about them?  Do I need to change how I applique?

I think this block may get two more stars, small ones, but I'm not sure yet.

I finally made one of the pieced stars.  I think they are supposed to be paper-pieced but I just cut a quarter inch around the seams (except on the edges where I added a half inch), and stitched them together.  Below, these are partially stitched with the papers pinned in place so I would get the pieces sewn together correctly.


And this is my first finished star.


It could have been wider but I cut it to 5½" x 7½" as the directions said.  It could have been wider and longer.  I'd like this quilt to finish wider than the ~60" I've heard it will be so perhaps I'll let these stars be wider and add width on other sections of the quilt.

This quilt is fun but it's the craziest way I've ever made a quilt.  Cut a little off here, add a little there, make it fit one way or another.   It's just a bit of a challenge for me with my perfection-leaning tendencies.  Learning lots, though.

While I've been working on this quilt and Linda Brannock's Flowers blocks, I have not been hand quilting.  I fear I will come to the end of the year with nothing but one finished quilt and a few finished tops to show.  That's not bad, I suppose, but I do love those quilted and bound finishes.

I learned a month or two ago that we'll be welcoming a new grandbaby in November so I need to begin thinking of a quilt to make for him/her.  I haven't talked to my daughter for a few weeks because she's been away on vacation but I suspect she knows by now whether the baby is a boy or girl.  When I know that I can decide on a quilt.

I'm linking this post to
> WOW at Esther's Blog
> Let's Bee Social #234 at Sew Fresh Quilts
> Midweek Makers #133 at Quilt Fabrication
> BOMs Away at What a Hoot Quilts

--Nancy.
.

16 comments:

  1. I think my larger applique blocks turn out a bit ripply too, though I don't do a lot of applique. Yours look fine to me, and that bit of ripple should quilt right out. Congratulations on the new grandbaby, we also have one on the way due to arrive early next year. We're very lucky grandmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the information not to be concerned about the applique and its ripples, Quilting Babcia.

      Oh, yes, I feel very blessed to have one more grandbaby on the way. He/she will be my fourth. Such fun! Congratulations to you, too. Do you know if it will be a boy or a girl, or will the new parents wait till the baby's born?

      Delete
  2. I think your SLOL applique block looks wonderful and your applique itself is perfect. No need to change anything. One of these days I'll be all caught up, but love seeing everyone else's in the mean time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the high praise, Pat.

      Do you have a blog? I looked at your profile but it looks like you haven't blogged at Washboard Quilts for a few years. I'd love to visit your blog if you have one.

      Delete
  3. I am always impressed with your applique blocked and I think this one is wonderful! I love the rustic look this quilt is going to have.
    Congratulations on your exciting announcement! Let the baby quilt planning commence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so kind about my applique blocks, Karin. I hope I can keep the rustic/primitive look. It's a new style for me and I feel like I don't quite have the hang of it yet, especially in choosing fabrics. Even so, it will cover and warm a body for a nap!

      Thank you for your congratulations on the new baby. I have to get busy soon or I won't have a new quilt for him/her.

      Delete
  4. I hear you on the overcoming-the-perfectionist-tendencies. I've practiced a bit with the add-some-on-chop-some-off (ie: my Gwennie medallion quilt) and it was really hard. I could practically hear my grandmothers tsk-tsking over my shoulder...
    On the other hand, it was remarkably freeing to just toss matching to the wind and unpoint the points. (Though I still had to hide the seam-ripper from myself)
    I think your applique block is wonderful - mine is always a bit ruffly, too, and it quilts right down. Relax and enjoy the process!
    8)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to learn that the ruffles quilt down, Gayle. I thought and hoped they would but wasn't sure. I won't give them another thought now (though I'll try to be more careful with upcoming applique blocks).

      Freeing, but I still stress just a bit about having the sizes come out as they should be. But, as you can see, I keep working on undoing/overcoming my perfectionism. I don't think about my grandmother tsk-tsking, but I do think about my sister-in-law, who was a master quilter and had a grant though the state to teach others how to quilt. Now I know she would be tsk-tsking if she were still alive!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful finish on your block!
    The only hand applique I do to any degree is with wool. I always cut my blocks a little larger to start with, then if it pulls in one direction or another, I can square it up afterward. And as Gayle said, that little bit of ruffle will work out in the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. You're so kind. I thought about making the blocks a littler larger but decided against it because they are such a bear to cut out. They're over-size, larger than my cutting rulers, so I have to use the cutting mat to measure along with two rulers. But I may be return to cutting over-size if the ruffles get out of hand. Several of you have said that this block looks like it will quilt out so I'm not concerned. And I'll try to pay more attention as I go along on the other blocks to keep them flat (if that's possible!).

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on the expected arrival. That's a fun excuse to make a small quilt. I love the smaller ones because they are easier and faster to finish. I don't worry if my block doesn't lie completely flat. It's never affected the outcome of the quilt. Your star looks great! I've made enough of them (previous quilts) that a few more aren't a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. We have three little grands now, ages 6, 4 1/2, and 2 1/2. It will be fun (and tiring) to have another. How true that the small quilts finish more quickly. Still, for me, the hand quilting takes a while.

      Thanks, too, for the hint not to be concerned about an applique block not lying flat. I'll try to be more aware of what I'm doing that prevents it from lying flat going forward but I won't stress over it.

      Delete
  7. Love your projects. What great news. Grandchildren are so special. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. Yes, exciting new about the baby. We're looking forward to meeting and cuddling him/her!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations, Nancy! That'll be a finish for you - the baby quilt. =) I do like the way this block looks. I didn't see anything that looked concerning to me, if it were my block. It'll work out. I can hardly wait until fall when I can finally start this quilt. Your star looks great - yes, it's a different way of doing things, but when I read the blog of someone who had made it from kits bought in 2007, it seems like there isn't another way to do it. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I should have at least three ideas for a baby quilt in mind right now, but I don't. It will come to me when I learn whether it will be a boy or a girl -- I hope!

      Several of you have said there isn't a problem with the ruffles on the block and you all have more experience than me, so I'm not going to be concerned about it (except I'll try to be more careful from now on).

      Oh, for sure, Cheri's patterns are a different way of working from the traditional quilt blocks. Fun and challenging at the same time. I'm looking forward to seeing your blocks when you begin.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...