Thursday, April 18, 2019

Picking Up the Pieces

Nothing impels me to cut and sew faster than knowing that my grands will be visiting and I'll have to pick up the pieces of an in-progress quilt from the design floor before they arrive.  They'll be here in a few hours and my floor is now clear.

This is what was on the floor before.  I didn't count the squares but when I had to pick them up I knew there were a lot.  I have more ready to use if needed because I know I'll lose inches when I sew the squares together.

auditioning sashing for Linda Brannock's Flowers quilt

I took lots of photos just in case I like the arrangement and color balance of this layout and want to repeat it.

auditioning sashing for Linda Brannock's Flowers quilt

But maybe there are too many lights -- corals and pinks --  and I need more reds.  I thought about adding greens and a bit of the purple I used in the flowers below, left, but too many colors and it might look a little circus-like.

auditioning sashing for Linda Brannock's Flowers quilt

I'll play when I can lay the pieces on the floor and leave them again.

auditioning sashing for Linda Brannock's Flowers quilt

I wish I'd been able to sew some of the sashing squares together but it takes a long time to cut and sew triangles into squares:  cut, pin, sew, press, square (if necessary), trim dog ears, repeat.

auditioning sashing for Linda Brannock's Flowers quilt

I believe this quilt will need a border around all those squares, but I'll wait till the top is sewn to make a decision about that.

When I first learned family was coming, it was my younger, single daughter for five days over last weekend until yesterday.  No problem leaving blocks on the floor while she's here.  When I learned that my older daughter and four grands were coming I thought I would have just one week to finish the quilt after they left.  When I glanced at the calendar I was pleasantly surprised to see that the month ends on Tuesday, which means I'll have a week and two days.  I may yet meet my goal of getting this stitched into a top in April!

I hope you're having a wonderful Easter week.

--Nancy.
.

22 comments:

  1. I do love your current layout of the blocks. I know how having the grands over works, as my grands end up sleeping in the sewing room on three air mattresses and there's literally no walking room left. This after I've moved a bunch of stuff out of the room! But having family come for holidays is a blessing. Happy Easter to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. The grands were great fun! I hope you had a Happy Easter, too!

      Delete
  2. Your quilt just sparkles with all those pinks. I love it. You have just the right balance. I've got a busy weekend coming up. 2 birthdays tomorrow and a funeral, 2 birthdays and an Easter egg hunt on Saturday, Easter Sunday Luncheon, and then Monday my husband's brother and his wife are coming. Good thing I like everybody - ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I'm working on putting all the pieces back together again. I hope I can get the same feeling as the first time.

      I hope you had a good weekend. It sounds like it was super busy. Sorry about the funeral but hope you had fun celebrating birthdays.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I think we all go through the frenzy of cleaning up sewing projects before company arrives--and little ones mean more stuff needs cleaning up than if only adults are coming. :)
    You know, circuses are a lot of fun, so if you want those other colors in the mix of HSTs, why not?
    Have fun with those grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yes, no matter who's coming to visit I race around cleaning and cleaning up. I did enjoy my grands and am so glad they came. I'm still tired, though.... I wish I had the energy they have. I hope you had a good Easter.

      Delete
  4. Wow! This top is really coming together. I think it looks great how you have it laid out. Have fun with your grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca. I took lots of photos but trying to get all those sashing squares back to rights is a bit challenging, even with photos. I enjoy my little grands immensely.

      Delete
  5. Love seeing this come together! I was frantically cutting scraps up yesterday so I can clean up my mess on the dining room table to accommodate Easter brunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karrin. It sounds like many of us quilters are so much alike -- cleaning off tables, beds, floors -- all in preparation for either visitors or some other need. I hope you had a Happy Easter.

      Delete
  6. I love the look of your quilt. The colors are fabulous. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. I'm trying to recreate the quilt as it was when I first laid it out but am not sure I will succeed. Even so, it will have all the colors as the first time.

      Delete
  7. Oh no--the pressure is on--lol! I hope you can get it all together--it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. LOL. Yes, and I don't do well under pressure. I got it all picked up and am now trying to lay it out the same way again. I don't think I will succeed but at least the colors will be the same.

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous! It is funny what motivates us to get things done. I only wash the floor when I need to layout a quilt and I have to do that between grandchildren and grand dog visits too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. LOL. I guess some of us focus on the most important things in life, huh?

      Delete
  9. The sawtooth sashing is delightful! After you worried and fussed so about how it would look, silly girl. Lovely lovely, and now a family holiday! You are blessed indeed. Have so much fun with your family! Maybe the grands are young enuf for Easter baskets and egg dye etc? That would be so fun.

    happy Easter!

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lizzy. I'm trying to put the pieces back together -- and struggling mightily. I have the photos, of course, but the layout was so rough and now I need to sew the pieces together. Ha!

      We had a fun (and exhausting) weekend with our grands. There are four between the ages of 6 and 5 months. Such energy! I wish they could share it with me.

      I hope you had a good Easter.

      Delete
  10. Your triangles look terrific! (I knew you could do it!)
    Enjoy the family, then enjoy the sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gayle. I appreciate your confidence in my abilities. I'm in the process of laying the quilt out again and beginning to sew it. We'll see if I can make it look like the original layout.

      Delete
  11. A wonderful looking top. I have always liked this quilt, but sadly didn't get the patterns. Yours is a real beauty and an heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I'm not sure this will become an heirloom. We'll have to see how much use it gets -- whether it wears out or not.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...