Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Cheddarback Blocks 6-10 for April

These are my Cheddarback blocks for April.  I somehow managed to fit them in between sewing triangle squares for my "Flowers" quilt.  The creator of Cheddarback used a variety of fabrics in her blocks -- cotton, flannel, pique, etc.  Most of my blocks, below, use colors close to hers but the kinds of fabrics are different.  I love the idea of the original creator and I being parallel quilters -- her using the fabrics she had available in the late 1800s, I using as similar fabrics as hers from the fabrics I have available from the late 1900s and early 2000s.  You can see the original blocks at this month's post at Sentimental Stitches.  Block 6 will finish at 12", the others will finish at 5".

Block 6
Cheddarback Block 6
Gosh, those pinwheels are hard!  The placement of the medium squares in the corner of this block is interesting to me.  They cause the star to disappear.

Block 7
Cheddarback Block 7
Gay Bomers, the creator of this sew-along, graciously provided two ways to make this block.  I chose the one without y-seams.  I don't have many black prints so used one with colors the closest I have to the original, but the fabric style is completely different.

Block 8
Cheddarback Block 8
By the time I finished this little basket I thought it was the cutest little basket block and pattern I've ever seen.  It's just so petite and sweet.  It was a bit of a challenge to make and even the original quilter was not able to keep all the points in the basket, though she lost hers at the top of the basket instead of the bottom, where I lost mine. 

Block 9
Cheddarback Block 9
Another square-in-square block.  I managed better with this one than the one in the first set.  I tried to keep the colors and style of fabrics but didn't have a blue and white check like the one in the original.  If I find one I might unstitch and exchange it for this blue.

Block 10
Cheddarback Block 10
Another pinwheel (with my mismatched points in the center). 

Cheddarback Blocks 6-10
Cheddarback Blocks 6-10



I bought fabric for sashing but haven't had time to wash and press it yet.  The creator of Cheddarback used two different fabrics for sashing, one off-white print and the other a light blue fabric which she used around the edges.  I'd like to use both but I haven't found a light blue yet.  I also already have a choice of two red fabrics to use for the cornerstones.

I have a feeling some of other blocks in this quilt will be really difficult for me.  This is definitely not a quilt for a beginner but it's certainly one that will expand my block-making experience.

I'm linking this post to BOMs Away at What A Hoot Quilts.  Thanks, Lynette.

--Nancy.
. 

8 comments:

  1. Your blocks look great. It makes me want to remake some of mine. I'm having a hard time being satisfied with my fabric choices. I, too, don't have much reproduction black fabric but I was able to find something in my Jo Morton stash. I'm not going to change anything yet - I'll wait and compare with the other blocks I make. Looking forward to seeing your flower quilt all finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I think it's good you're going to wait before making changes to your blocks. I'm going to do that. Who knows where this quilt will go as we keep making blocks. It's impossible to have the same fabrics, or even reproductions that are the same, so our finished quilts will definitely have a different feel to them from the original. Hopefully all of the fabrics in our own quilts will work together in the end. I wish I could get personal view of Cheddarback and examine it!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed hearing about your challenges and conquests with these blocks. You have done well. Using what you have that is as close as you can get to the original is a great idea, and eliminates the need to replace any fabric if you find something closer to the original later, IMHO. I'd say, go with what you have and love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. I like your suggestion to just keep going with what I have. I hope there's some unity to the finished quilt!

      Delete
  3. Fun read :) Nancy, you've done a really great job of capturing the essence of each original block. Don't feel out of your league on this quilt - I suspect it was a skillbuilder for the original maker as well, if she's also got some dropped points here and there. It's a lovely reproduction project, and your fabrics are working very well for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your encouraging words, Lynette. I really appreciate them.

      Delete
  4. You are doing fantastic with these blocks, Nancy. They remind me of the Farmer's Wife which now when I look back, realize was over my head. I got through it barely. I think I could do better now but haven't the heart to try it. But I love following your progress. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn. Oh, yes, I've seen the Farmer's Wife quilts, and actually borrowed the books to consider some of the blocks. Above my skill level, too, though I might have considered a sew-along to make them. For some quilts, once is enough and since you succeeded with your first effort (and learned along the way, I'm sure) you can be satisfied with that!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...