Saturday, July 6, 2019

More Cheddarback for July

How often does it happen that you go to the thrift store hoping to find something in particular and actually find it?  For me, nearly never, but I'm always hopeful.  On Friday while looking through men's shirts I came upon this one.


It doesn't look like anything special and a few months ago I would have not have given it a second look.  But on Friday, it was a serendipitous find!  It cost more than I'm usually willing to spend on a shirt even though it was much less expensive than a new one.  I put it back twice and finally decided it was way less expensive than buying a fat quarter.  I bought it.

Close up, the stripes look like this.


The fabric in this shirt is close to the fabric in the largest Cheddarback block for July, the one at upper right in the image below  The two fabrics are not identical but they're close enough to make me happy.  I don't have any fabric with stripes even remotely similar to it.  (I've been scouring through my fabrics since the blocks were posted--not that it took me all that long to look through them.  I just kept looking hoping I had missed the perfect fabric.)

Cheddarback Blocks, Month 5

These look like fun and challenging blocks and the fabrics are especially interesting.  The fabric in the lower right block is gorgeous -- a black background with golden flecks and flowers of black and gold with teal in the centers and around the outer edges.  Where, oh where, will I ever find a fabric to compare?!  Surely not at a thrift store!  You can see great photos of the blocks for July here.

Being generally unmotivated again this month I've chosen the Cheddarback blocks as my One Monthly Goal.  I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal July Link-up at Elm Street Quilts.  Thank you for hosting, Patty.

--Nancy.
.

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. It's not an exact match and I may decide after cutting and laying out the block that I want some fabric that's closer to the original -- but I hope not! It looks like a hard block to make so making it once should be enough. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Grace. I hope it looks as good in the block as I imagine it will!

      Delete
  3. Blocks make a great goal! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great find Nancy! I think I need to start thrifting--lol! I haven't started my blocks yet--it's been too nice outside, but I'm sure rainy days are on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. It would interesting to find out how many quilt bloggers I know use recycled shirts and other clothing from thrift stores. I actually haven't started my Cheddarback blocks yet, either. I was choosing fabric today. Purples/lavenders are a challenge around here!

      Delete
  5. An excellent representation of that fabric. I find it way too easy to bring home shirts from the thrift store--though I have been showing more restraint since I got them all cut up and neatly stored. :)
    Good luck finding a fabric to represent the black/gold/teal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. It is so hard to resist shirts at the thrift store, especially if they're a good price and/or marked at 75% off. Who can refuse a shirt with a good fabric for 50 cents? I probably have more shirt fabric than any other kind.
      I haven't yet found black/gold/teal but I did find black/gold with a little red, but I don't think it will work. I'll find something that will have to substitute.

      Delete
  6. It is so funny that you write about this find, Nancy. I'm just cutting up a found shirt to use for my borders on those string blocks I'm making.Of course, I'm second guessing myself all the way, oh dear. But yours looks totally ideal for the purpose. Great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jocelyn. Second guessing is what I do best! Glad I'm not the only one. I hope you loved the shirt fabric for the border on your sweet string blocks. I'm looking forward to seeing the next step for those blocks.

      Delete
  7. So nice that you found this shirt. It's just perfect. I haven't started making the blocks yet but I'll look through my stash tomorrow to see if I have anything that might work for the black-gold-teal block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I hope the shirt fabric works like I think it will. I haven't started these blocks yet, either. I just started looking at and choosing fabrics today. I may have one that will work for the black/gold/teal block. Another fabric was almost perfect -- except that the background was army green-ish which I know would look awful with any tint, shade, or tone of lavender/purple.

      Delete
  8. Good shirting is the best! So fun to find just the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, Cynthia. I hope this shirt fabric will look as good as I imagine (though I also imagine it will be a bear to align those stripes!).

      Delete
  9. Great find! I do admire your quest for finding just the right fabrics for CB. And how often you succeed!

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lizzy. Cheddarback offers so many fun challenges -- the fabrics -- color, style, etc. -- and stitching those difficult blocks. I always feel like I accomplished something when I sew a difficult block and it lies flat and is the right size!

      Delete
  10. During the summer, I haunt the Goodwill for shirts that are large, have long sleeves, and are cotton plaids or stripes! I buy whatever is in the color of the week that's 50% off. It's more than a yard of fabric at 3-4 dollars when it isn't 50% off! I even use the cuffs and collar parts for leader-enders when company comes to sew. =) This is a great shirt, and it would have made my basket, too!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...