Friday, August 7, 2015

Quilt Books on Loan

I'm a frequent borrower of books from our local library -- lots of quilt books but also fiction and non-fiction; however, the librarians are often surprised when I check out my books and there aren't any quilting books.

Here are four of the books I've borrowed recently.  I'm showing only covers (so I don't violate copyright) and adding a few notes/comments.

Everything Patchwork:  40 Classic Quilts, Bags and Accessories by Corinne Crasbercu.
Everything Patchwork
     This is a beautiful book.  The photographs cover the first half of the book, the patterns follow.  The subtitle almost says it all.  I know a title can't list all the accessories but they include pincushions, scissors holder, tidies, bunting, bags, tea cozies, aprons, and more.  There is a shoulder bag (p. 48) I'd love to make.
     Being from the U.S., I was slightly put off by measurements in centimeters.  I'm not math-inclined so trying to imagine the size was hard.  Of course a tape measure with both inches and centimeters solved the problem.


Quilt Lovely:  15 Vibrant Projects Using Piecing & Applique by Jen Kingwell
Quilt Lovely by Jen Kingwell
     You'll find modern, vintage, traditional-with-a-modern-twist quilts; applique and patchwork quilts; and both bright and natural colors.  You'll also find pillows and suggestions for using a quilt pattern for a pillow, and vice versa. 
     There's probably a pattern for everyone to love in this book.  Clear directions for each pattern accompany the photographs, which cover several pages.
     This is a book I will have a hard time returning to the library.  Even if I never make one of the patterns exactly, it holds a wealth of inspiration amongst its pages.


The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters:  A Guide to Creating, Quilting & Living Courageously by Sherri Lynn Wood
The Improve Handook for Modern Quilters
     My first response to this book was "too modern for me" and "these quilts look too hard to make."  But as I read I realized that the book is not about making beautiful quilts nor about providing patterns for quilts but about encouraging an adventurous spirit in the quilt-maker to try new ways to cut and use fabric, to see things differently, and to experiment.  I love the rhythm and symmetry of traditional quilts but I appreciate the vibrancy and energy of modern quilts.
     If you are a hesitant block-maker and are willing to experiment and take chances, this will be a great book for you.  If you're already adventurous and want to acquire new skills and experiment, this book is for you, also.


Sew Organized for the Busy Girl:  Tips to Make the Most of Your Time & Space:  23 Quilt & Clever Sewing Projects You'll Love by Heidi Staples
Sew Organized for the Busy Girl by Heidi Staples
     I found this book on a shelf with other new books and brought it home.  It's not a quilting book but I think many quilters will appreciate the no nonsense ways the author helps the reader evaluate her work methods, her environment, and her time.  The first part of the book includes topics like discovering your workspace personality, finding and organizing storage space, creating project bags, keeping sewing files, fitting sewing into your schedule, etc.  The other three-quarters of the book is filled with projects both large and small, all fabric and/or quilt related.
     I recommend this book even if the only reason you read it is because you need help organizing your time, your fabric, or your workspace.  Of course, there are also some fun patterns for projects created with fabric.


There you have four of my recent quilting book finds.  Have you found any great quilt books lately?

--Nancy.
.

5 comments:

  1. Lucky girl, your library has a much better selection than mine does! I've borrowed all of the quilt books they have and often the shelves in hopes of new purchases. *sigh*
    Thanks for the tip, I'll look for these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reviews. I bought the Jen Kingwell book. It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reviews. I haven't seen any of these until now. You've inspired me to check out the craft section of our town library ( 'discovery centre' as it now known!). I like browsing through quilting books and magazines but have found the last few magazines I've bought quite disappointing. So borrowed books to dip into is a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Encouraging an adventurous spirit." Great summation of Sherri Wood's book.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...