Saturday, November 21, 2015

Quilty Inspiration #9

A few months ago I fell in love with Linda's daisy blocks (here and here) at koka quilts.  Go look -- you'll need to scroll down a few images -- and then come back.  Aren't those blocks to make your heart sing?

I kept thinking about them but didn't have the templates, didn't want to buy them, and didn't want to stitch them.  How to make that shape some other way?  Why not make a template and cut from a single piece of fabric?  So I began.


I stitched the shapes onto the scrappy backgrounds I've been putting together.  (I don't love applique but it perfect when one doesn't have the energy to do more than sit.)


I think of these as flowers.  I have only nine so far and haven't stitched anything onto the centers.  I'm just playing....  (Heck, I think of most of my quilting efforts as play!)

It's amazing to me how ideas settle in my mind, change, evolve over time, and become similar to the original but with a twist.  Inspiration sometimes works that way for me.  How about you?  What've you been up to this week?  Link up and share your inspiration!

(I'm linking this post to Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework.



P.S.  This may be the last Quilty Inspiration link-up.  The number of people reading the Quilty Inspiration posts here is declining by the week.  Fewer and fewer readers are clicking to look at the posts others have linked, and even fewer bloggers have linked their posts.  (Thank you to those who have:  Ann Marie, Allison, Linda, Linda, Lori, Claire, Audrey, Sandra, and Karin!  I appreciate the support.)  I understand that quilters may not think about or share their inspiration in their posts, and most of those who do haven't linked their posts.  If I discontinue now perhaps I'll pick it up again sometime in the future.  Maybe I need more readers/followers....

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for featuring my Daisy blocks! Love your scrappy backgrounds! I do think the idea for sharing our quilty inspiration is a great one, I'm always curious to know about the how/where/what's of what drives others creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the scrappy backgrounds on your stars. I think the quilt will be amazing. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame quilty inspiration hasn't gained momentum. I agree with Linda that there is a curiosity to know what has inspired others and I certainly find it very useful to find links to tutorials etc as I'm reading blog posts. Perhaps it would be worth doing it as a monthly feature with a reminder a week before so people can prepare posts or use one written earlier in the month? Thank you for giving it a go and persevering for the past couple of months :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would hate to see this end too. It inspired me to write some posts! Unfortunately, I've been traveling a lot for work, and just haven't been home to sew or take pictures. Maybe stick with it a bit longer and see if momentum builds after the holidays or switch to monthly. I'm home now and hope to be inspired later today when I finally get back into my sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love to read what inspires people and how that inspiration gets translated into a quilt design. I don't have inspiration-related posts to link up very often, though. I suppose success of a linkup largely depends on awareness of its existence (I only found out about it after Allison (New Every Morning Patchwork and Quilting) mentioned it in the Quilty Bloggers FB group...). Your flowers on scrappy backgrounds are lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...