The first problem was the stars. We need four paper-pieced stars that finish at 4" x 6". I knew I'd made five so I thought I was set to go. Unfortunately for me, the stars I made were not the stars for the upper border but, instead, for the lower border and finish at 5" x 7". I realized this only after I'd cut the 6½" strip of fabric for the top border and placed my stars next to it. They were too big.
After looking at the pattern directions again it didn't take many minutes to realize the problem. So I cut and stitched four new stars.
Next, I realized that the Economy blocks I made might not be quite right for the upper right side border because two birds and a star will be appliqued on them. I won't take the time to prepare and stitch applique pieces that won't show, so I want to have a choice of Economy blocks in lights, mediums, and darks when it comes to choosing the fabric for the birds.
So I cut and stitched a dozen more Economy blocks.
Yes, some of the squares are floating but I'm fine with that. I love the look of Economy blocks all over again. And now I have enough blocks to play with placement when I choose fabric for the birds. But, of course, I'll probably make more of these wonderful little blocks.
Partially or already done:
- The vine and berries are prepared.
- The basket is prepared.
- The eagle is cut out.
- The patterns for the letters are all traced and cut out.
- The star for between the birds is ready to stitch.
- The hand is prepared to applique but needs to have the heart attached (which is ready).
Still to do this month:
- Finish appliqueing the star to the basket block.
- Cut and sew the 1½" strip to the top row.
- Sew the stars and 6½" strip together, then stitch to top of quilt.
- Position the vine and berries.
- Choose and sew together 5 flying geese for the left border, then attach to the quilt.
- Choose, cut, and sew a strip that goes between the main part of the quilt and the Economy blocks.
- Choose and sew together 5 Economy blocks for the right border and sew to the quilt.
- Applique the heart to the hand.
- Choose fabric for the birds on side border (on the Economy blocks).
To do when this above is finished, either this or next month:
- Applique the vine and berries.
- Applique the hand.
- Applique the eagle.
- Cut, prepare, and applique the birds.
- Choose fabric for and prepare the letters, then applique them. (I think this will take a lot of time! Those letters look challenging.)
I like lists a lot but I felt much better about my progress before I wrote these lists. Putting it all in writing makes it seem like there's lots more to do than when I was just thinking about it. But, hey, I have 10 more days! I can do this. Right?
I'm linking this post to
> BOMs Away at What a Hoot Quilts
> Moving It Forward Monday at Em's Scrapbag
> Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
> Main Crush Monday (MCM) at Cooking Up Quilts
> Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Thanks for hosting, ladies.