Thursday, August 29, 2019

When the Idea in My Mind Doesn't Match the Pattern

I saw the quilt block here, at Oldepatchart Antique Quilts and Designs, and thought it would be perfect for an alternate 12" block for Cheddarback.  I made a quick sketch. 

Lily Quilt Pattern block

I can often figure out sizes and how to cut simple patterns but when it came to the diagonal in the center of this block, I didn't have a clue how to figure out cutting sizes.  I began searching for a pattern.  I found similar patterns but none that had the white squares in the center cut off as much as in my sketch.

Lily Quilt Pattern block, Eagle's Nest quilt block

I learned that the pattern I found has several names:
  • Lily Quilt Pattern (at the website above) and in Ginny Beyer's The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns 
  • Lilies or Lily in Rhoda Ochser Goldberg's The New Quilting & Patchwork Dictionary 
  • Des Moines in Maggie Malone's 500 Full-Size Patchwork Patterns 
  • Eagle's Nest in Judy Hopkins's 501 Rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks 
  • The Corner Star, The Crowfoot, The Spring-time Blossom, and Sweet Gum Leaf in Beyer's The Quilter's Album...

There is some variation in color placement among those blocks but they're essentially the same pattern pieces.  But none were just like my sketch.

I chose the pattern in Judy Hopkins's book because she gave cutting instructions for a 12" finished block.

I was disappointed that the inner triangles in the corners didn't have more space between them when my sketch showed more space.  When I looked at the original blocks again I realized that I couldn't find a pattern that matched my sketch because my sketch was not accurate! 

My finished block looks like this.  I can see now that if I had made the 9-patch in the center a little larger and cut it down a little, the block would have looked more like my sketch.

Lily Quilt Pattern block for Cheddarback Block 26

I think this block will work just fine for Cheddarback, though I'm not sure the blue is dark enough.  Ah well, done is done.

Do you make accurate sketches of blocks you see, like, and think you might like to make, or are yours more like mine -- quick and messy?

--Nancy.
.

6 comments:

  1. Your block turned out great--it will look very nice in your quilt. The sketch you made looks like a block from Bonnie Hunter's Talkin' Turkey quilt in her String Fling book--one of the quilts that's been on my bucket list forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen.  Looking at it again, I hope the three different blues so close together don't visually collide!  I think this block is similar to a Turkey Tracks block which is probably what Bonnie based her Talkin' Turkey block on.  I'll have to go look, I know I've seen others' versions on her quilt online, just can't remember it for sure.

      Delete
  2. I REALLY like your finished block, whether it met your expectations or not. :)
    When I see something I like and want to try and create, I am not usually in a position to make an accurate sketch. I might make a rough sketch like yours, or take a photo with my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janet. 

      Yes, me, too:  rough sketch or phone photo.  I have so many photos....

      Delete
  3. Oh, Nancy - your block turned out so lovely! Sometimes I become frustrated when I see something in my mind and can't translate it into fabric or even if I do, I seem to take the hard road and think, "I'm sure there is a pattern for this". Yet, I will continue to doodle on my graph paper and figure out dimensions. On the positive side, it's exercising our brains! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karin.  Oh, yes, I'm like you.  Too often I take the hard way and then find out there was an easier (and sometimes better) way to make a block.  I guess, as long as the blocks look fine in the end, no problem.  And I know my brain needs more -- much more -- exercise!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...