Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Fraternal Twins

Fraternal twin blocks, that is.

My substitute for Cheddarback Block 26 on left and Block 35 on the right


I've been having fun making blocks for the Cheddarback quilt-along at Sentimental Stitches.  For the most part I've been using the fabrics in the original quilt as a guide for the fabrics I choose, trying to keep them as close to the original as possible (which is sometimes not possible at all!).  I try to go with color and/or style of fabric.

Last month or the month before we made a block that was not in the original quilt.  Gay added it so the quilt would be longer (and will add several more across the bottom of the quilt.)  The original quilt is six 12"-blocks wide (plus sashing) by six-and-a-half 12" blocks long plus sashing.  It measures about 68" x 76".  Wide and not too long.  The extra row across the bottom will extend the length by about 6".  Of course, we can choose to add the extra 12" blocks at the bottom, or make the quilt like the original, or change it any way we like, even as far as substituting blocks.

The pattern for the extra block was a Barrister's Block.  I thought the quilt needed a block that had a strong diagonal to carry the line created by the other blocks along that diagonal.  So I made this block.

Cheddarback Block 26 (my version)

I really like this pattern and thought it carried the diagonal line pretty well.

But then we made Block 35, below, this month.

Cheddarback Block 35
Cheddarback Block 35

Don't you think those two blocks look like fraternal twins?

They are placed diagonally from each other separated only by a cluster of four small blocks.  I look at these and shake my head.  How could I have missed such an obvious similarity?

I will remake the extra block (Block 26), probably in another color, or I may choose a different block completely.

If I can find better blues I will remake Block 35.  I'm not a fan of most blues and don't gravitate toward them when I visit a fabric store.  Occasionally one will stand out and I'll buy a piece.  The shades and tones of blue I really like are not popular just now so they're harder to find.  But sometimes I come across a piece at a thrift store, a sale, or in a piece of clothing.  This block is just below center in the quilt and really needs to be made with stronger blues.

Oh, Cheddarback, how I love your challenges!

--Nancy.
.

12 comments:

  1. I think both blocks are terrific. You are approaching this project in such a thoughtful way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia.  It's because I'm trying to reproduce the original Cheddarback as closely as possible that I may seem thoughtful.  I think Cheddarback's creator had fabric limitations as well as a distinct way of combining fabrics and laying out the blocks.

      Delete
  2. I love both blocks and wouldn't worry about remaking them. If it bothered me too much I'd just put them in a different order on the quilt. I got online today to get the new patterns - oops! I'll have to wait till tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, Robin.  I'd still love to find a darker yet brighter blue or two but maybe I won't and I'll leave these two blocks as they are. 
      I don't know why I was surprised by this month's blocks.  I guess I hadn't realized how close we were to the bottom and those additional letters.  Which letters will you do this time?

      Delete
  3. I’m not a huge lover of blue either, but I really like these blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennie.  Oh, I'm pleased to find another like-minder quilter (when it comes to blues).

      Delete
  4. These blocks are beauties, Nancy, just the way they are. Perfect points too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn.  I wasn't pay too much attention to points but I'm sure the camera lied if it shows they're perfect.  ;-)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...