Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Burgoyne Blocks, October One Monthly Goal Finish

My One Monthly Goal for October was to make one more Burgoyne Surrounded block, which would have left me with two more to make to reach the 12 I wanted for the top.  I pushed through (despite the kitties' interference) and finished all three.  Placed next to each other, they look like this.
Burgoyne Surrounded blocks

I think they need a little space between.  To do that, I'll use either 9-patch or quadruple 9-patch blocks at the corners where the sashing meets.
Burgoyne Surrounded blocks
The challenge of Burgoyne blocks, in my opinion, is their size:  at 15" there's not as much leeway in choosing a finished size as there would be with, say, 6" or 8" blocks.  There's no in-between with Burgoyne blocks other than altering the width of the sashing or borders.

I love this Burgoyne Surrounded quilt by Martha A. Page.  (Not copying because of copyright.)  It has quadruple 9-patch blocks in the corners between blocks and then wide, appliqued borders on three sides.  I think the finished quilt probably measures about 86" x 100".  That's bigger than the quilt I want, but I do love the appliqued border.  Maybe oak leaves and acorns for this quilt?

These are horizontal views of the quilt, first with blocks close together,
Burgoyne Surrounded blocks
and with the blocks given space for sashing and cornerstones.
Burgoyne Surrounded blocks
I love this block (even though these blocks didn't use as many 4-patches and I thought they would).  I don't think there's a way to ruin a Burgoyne Surrounded block, except by not keeping the light to dark/bright pattern, or maybe, if someone decided to use plaids or some splotchy fabric.  Otherwise, keep to the lights and darks and it works.  If I make this block again I will make the circles stronger by using scrappy, one-color fabrics for each individual circle and letting the diagonals be multi-colored and really scrappy.  This is a great quilt for using scraps! 

I'm linking this post to
> One Monthly Goal - October Finish Link-up at Elm Street Quilts
> To Do Tuesday at Texas Quilt Gal
> Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than housework
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.

20 comments:

  1. Oh, it looks so lovely Nancy. I so glad you were able to push through and get these blocks done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I was surprised to get all three finished, and happy, too.

      Delete
  2. Your blocks are wonderful and I especially love seeing them separated as if they had brown sashing strips. The separation really accentuates the block pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. The blocks will be separated by 3" sashing but it will be lighter fabrics, not brown. I was focusing on the diagonals instead of the square blocks. But I can see that brown could be a good sashing, too. Maybe for the next Burgoyne....

      Delete
  3. A lovely group of blocks for your quilt--the colors you chose are so pretty together...nice work hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose.  I was going for an autumn color range and now see I have plenty of red, reminding me ot the brilliant maples we see during good autumn seasons here.

      Delete
  4. Your quilt is going to be gorgeous, Nancy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are pretty blocks. They'll look nice with a sashing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your scrappy colors. You are definitely right about the big blocks. It doesn't leave that many options for a finished quilt. But every Burgoyne quilt I see I just LOVE! Way to go on meeting your October OMG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. I'm adding the sashing now and keep thinking about other options for size....

      Delete
  7. Oh it is beautiful! And the inspiration quilt helped me visualize what the extra cornerstone four patchs will do. I think acorns and oak leaves are a great idea. I am planning them on a small quilt for ''someday''. You might want to look at Minick and Simpson's designs on etsy, as they often do appliqued borders with pieced centers. Some add fun woodland animals, like squirrels, bunnies or the family dog. These are not cutesy, more folk art in style. []as I am sure Burgoyne would not tolerate cutesy even in defeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy. The inspiration quilt has quadruple 9-patches in the corners between sashing. I'm doing only 9-patches because of size so there won't be so much "blank" space. Thanks for suggesting I look at Minick and Simpson's designs. I'll do that. I agree, I don't think Burgoyne would tolerate cutesy.

      Delete
  8. Hi Nancy, I LOVE your header! Your Burgoyne blocks are beautiful, I've heard of them and have them on my bucket list. I love the look with the extra space on your floor. That's a great way to visualize!
    Thank you for linking to To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. Every once in a while I think of changing it but don't quite get around to it. So glad you love it.
      I use the floor because I don't have a large enough space on any wall that I walk past often enough to glance at a quilt and get impressions. The floor's not best but it works.
      Thank you for hosting To Do Tuesday.

      Delete
  9. Blocks look great. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful blocks! I hopped over to the Met site to look at the Page version and it is lovely. It was made in the mid 19th century and I think that puts the design in the “public domain” which I believe allows you to copy it if you want. An appliqué border would be great, even if you design your own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gladi. I should have realized I could copy and paste the photo but I was thinking more about the copyright of the photo itself and the person/organization that took and published it. But you're absolutely right that there's no copyright on the quilt itself.
      I'm trying to imagine how to create the border. I hope I come up with something that works well for the quilt.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...