Saturday, December 31, 2022

Between the Old Year and the New

The week between Christmas and New Year's Day always seems busy to me.  It's a catch-up time for unfinished things, especially ones that need to be finished before January comes.  And then there's planning and preparing for the coming year, particularly as regards quilting, family history research, and blogging for both.

Burgoyne Surrounded is not one of those essential things, but the top is finished as far as the extra blocks.
It is now four blocks by five blocks and measures 75" x 94", which seems seems huge.  My husband and I sleep in a queen-size bed and my thought for this quilt is to add an applique border on the long side to make it closer to 82" x 94" so I can lay it horizontally across the bed.  Neither of us likes the weight of a quilt handing over the end of the bed, and I love having extra on the side so I can pull it up and wrap it around me.  So it might work

I'm envisioning the border across the top appliqued with oak leaves and acorns, which means I'm almost right back where I started two months ago when I decided against a border all the way around the smaller version of the quilt.  I think that must have felt too daunting to me at the time.
I have lots of  leftover 1½" squares and strips to be cut.  I don't know if I'll make another Burgoyne Surrounded quilt or not yet, but they'll become something.

For years now I've made my own purse-size calendar book.  Many years ago I bought one that worked perfectly but when the new year came, they weren't making that style any more.  So I made my own.  Closed, it measures ~4½" x 7". 
A couple of years ago I bought a ream of paper and took it to a binder who has a guillotine paper-cutter and a machine to punch holes in the edge.  Old school, I know, but I go with the idea that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  I'm also a person of habit and love consistency in some everyday things.  When the last week of the year rolls around and I don't have my calendar book finished, as happened this year, I feel rushed and focus my attention on just it.  Yes, it takes time to make it but I love it.  And now it's ready for 2023.

Christmas passed almost without my catching and enjoying it.

One of our favorite Christmas activities is going to Merry Tuba Christmas.  Thank goodness it was inside this year!  I love this experience for so many reasons.  The feeling of being inside a whale with the blubbery music all around fills me with wonder.  One of the other reasons I love it is because the audience is invited to sing along to some of the carols.  It reminds me of when I was a child and we sang from small booklets of carols.  Except with Merry Tuba Christmas, for someone who can hardly carry a tune, it's a great pleasure to know that the tubas are so much louder and cover any mistakes I make.

We baked Spritz cookies--so festive and delicious--
spritz cookies with marachino cherries
and made Buckeyes.  Yum!  From experience I now know that buckeyes are best with real butter (as opposed to vegan butter).
buckeyes
And the last event of the Christmas season came today when we visited the Nativity in the city.  It is a life-size or larger display of the Annunciation, of Mary and Joseph travelling to Bethlehem, of shepherds in the fields with their sheep, the Wise Men, Herod, and Mary and Joseph with the Baby.  My photos do not do justice to the atmosphere of the environment when in person among these displays.
State Auto Nativity display 2022
State Auto Nativity display 2022
State Auto Nativity display 2022
State Auto Nativity display 2022
State Auto Nativity display 2022
State Auto Nativity display 2022
This display has been set up every year since 1931 by State Auto Insurance.  For many years it was in front of the building, elevated in a narrow space between the sidewalk and the building.  It was okay but a few years ago they created a small park where they arrange the figures in groupings to create scenes.  It is amazing to me that a secular insurance company can create an environment that feels so special and spiritual, holy even.  There is a sense of hushed reverence and awe while in that little park.  

snow on the windowsill, December 2022
The weather now, in the 60s, feels like spring.  But on the Friday before Christmas we had snow and the temperature was -5 degrees with a "feels like" temperature of -32 degrees.  No doubt the 26 mph winds helped it feel so cold.  I think that's similar to what many experienced around the U.S., except, of course, the Buffalo area was worse.  I love the snow, not so much the negative temperatures.

This is the last post of 2022.  I would breathe a sigh of relief that the year is over but I'm not letting myself do that yet.  The way this year has gone, anything could happen in three more hours!  It ain't over till it's over, as they say.

Happy New Year to you!

--Nancy.

8 comments:

  1. Happy New Year's. Thanks for sharing the beautiful Nativity scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you're welcome for the Nativity photos. It was a very grey day when we were there and the photos don't show the statues off to their best effect, but they're still amazing.

      Delete
  2. Ahhh. . . the goals for the new year. I admire you for keeping your calendar/planner up to date. When something works so well, why change it? The Nativity sounds wonderful. The Tuba Christmas concert makes me smile. I'm glad you got to go once again. It's hard to imagine what it must sound like - quite loud I would guess. I found a pattern in one of my MILs old magazines that I would love to make. Maybe you'd like to make it too. I'll have to send you a picture or blog about it or something. My blogging was no existent in December. Just too busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually set goals for the new year, Robin, I suppose because I've never had much success.  I just keep a to-do list going.  I use the calendar book for my daily to-do list, for appointments, and to make notes about unusual events in our lives.  It also had an address book, information about sizes of things around the house that I occasionally buy, info about quilting things, etc.  I'm thinking maybe I should get rid of the old ones but haven't moved on that thought yet.
      Before we went to TubaChristmas for the first time I wondered how it would sound, too.  I think some people think it's really loud but I think it just fills the theater without being overwhelming.  Does a city near you have TubaChristmas?
      I'd love to see the pattern you're thinking of making.  I have quilts to work on but have the itch to start something new, but can't quite make up my mind what!  I saw that Corinne and Cecile are doing a quilt-along with the theme of houses this year.  Thinking of that, maybe....
      I hope you enjoyed whatever kept you busy in December!

      Delete
  3. I love that you make your own date book! That nativity scene looks like an an event to see!!! Glad I could see it through your blog photos! We went to Tuba Christmas when we lived near Sioux Falls, so I can just imagine it. Interesting that you make Buckeyes--I've only seen those at Amish stores in this region. Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy.  The Nativity is one that we try not to miss.  Ohio is the Buckeye State so it's become a tradition.  When I was growing up in northeast Ohio, we had never heard of buckeye candy.  It wasn't until we moved to central Ohio in the late 1970s that we learned of them.  They remind me of Reese's peanut butter cups, but different.
      Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely Christmas post. The life sized nativity scenes are stunning. And how fun the Tubba Carols must be, esp as you get to sing along.

    Burgoyne is beautiful and ofcourse I m thrilled that the acron border is back in play.

    Your cookies look fabulous. I must look up Buckeyes, new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy.  I'm pleased to know there will be oak leaves and acorns on that quilt, too.  I hope they'll be a nice finishing touch.
      Buckeyes remind me a little of Reese's peanut butter cups.  They're an easy recipe to make but it takes time to roll the balls.  I'll send you the recipe if you're interested.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...