Thursday, November 16, 2023

Parsonsfield in Progress, Growing Things, Soup

Except for the borders, this is my version of Lori's Parsonfields quilt.  She used lots of greys and whites, but I chose whites, off-whites, and creams, plus a few tans.  Mine looks less "dotty" in real life.  She posted the original quilt and final steps for us last night, two borders.  I hope to finish the top sometime this coming week.  (Unless I spend too much time on Bramble Blooms, which seems likely at this point.)  Many thanks to Lori for hosting this sew-along.
Most of my time has been devoted to trying to clean and tidy the room where I sew and to Bramble Blooms -- choosing colors, fabrics, trying to decide background and flower colors for the center, etc.  I hope to post about that soon.

Growing things....
Most of our trees are now leafless but we still have plenty that are holding their leaves, giving us a brilliant show in the late afternoon sun. 
The other growing thing is this little pot of sweet woodruff, also known as galium odoratum. 
I have two large pots outside that I hope will withstand the winter in our breezeway.  Because they are shade-loving plants I thought they might grow inside.  I dug out a little section of plant and potted it about two weeks ago.  I was beyond thrilled when I saw three little runners around the edge of the pot.  Woodruff is a sweet little plant that, when dried, smells like sweet clover, meadowsweet, tonka beans, a little like hay, or, some say, like vanilla.   It is also called sweet-scented bedstraw in some parts of the world or at various times in history.  I would love to sleep with its fragrance nearby, though not necessarily with the leaves stuffed in my mattress.  Maybe these plants will take off and I can have enough to put near my bed.

And food....
If you like French Onion Soup, don't want to make your own, and happen to live near an Aldi, you could try their Bremer Bistro French Onion Soup.  It's not quite as good as homemade but we think it's delicious. 
I always add more croutons.  This time I cut up an Aldi ciabatta roll to divide between the two bowls of soup.  And we always add more Swiss cheese--a slice or two on top--before putting it under the broiler.  Perfect for a cool or cold evening.

And one parting photo of clouds at sunset.
I don't believe I've ever seen clouds quite like this--great rolls floating across the sky.

I finally worked out the problem with comments not coming to my email (mostly, except for Jeanne's comment).  In Blogger settings, I had to subscribe to comments.  Crazy because I never had a problem before and then, suddenly, I did.  Technology offers so many opportunities for old people--me!--to learn.

Thanks for visiting and, if you do, leaving a comment.  I hope all is well in your life.

--Nancy.

6 comments:

  1. Fun post! Glorious trees and sky. The clouds are so unusual--high winds up there in the sky?Or maybe rain?

    The soup looks sooo good, perfect for chilly dark evenings. I'll look online, we don't have Aldi here.

    Sweet woodruff sounds delightful. I don't think I ever have seen it or smelled it. Would make nice sachets for the linen closet maybe?

    Your Parsonsfield quilt is so pretty, nice soft colors.

    I'm looking forward to you Bramble project too. Mine is still in the mulling over stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy. 
      I can't remember if it was windy that day, or if it rained that evening or the next day.  I love clouds but I can never seem to remember their names....
      Trader Joe's has a French Onion Soup, too.  It's decent but the Aldi version has a more robust flavor.  Aldi probably doesn't do mail order.....
      If I'd seen the original Parsonsfield quilt I might have tried to stick with the colors more closely, except I'm not a fan of pale grey, so maybe I wouldn't have.  I'm looking forward to seeing yours.
      I"m just getting ready to do a second post on Bramble Blooms.  I'm so far out of my comfort zone.

      Delete
  2. Nice to meet you, Nancy. Thank you for the Aldi tip...and I see you love clouds too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do love clouds, Diane!
      You're welcome for the Aldi tip. French Onion Soup doesn't agree with everyone but if it does for you, maybe you will enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. I like the creams and tan in your Parsonsfield quilt. Grays have their place but I don't often choose them to go in a quilt. I want something with a warmer feel.
    The trees are lovely. It seems like some trees have waited till the last minute to show their colors or drop leaves this year. We still have leaves on the apple and apricot trees.
    Those are great clouds. I was looking at the clouds this morning and there was something different about them. It was like a child's drawing with clouds filling the sky, all the same small size and shape (oval). The sky was a delightful shade of blue behind them.
    I'm not progressing very fast on Bramble Blooms. I have the center all basted and ready to be appliqued but I can't seem to get to it.
    Our downstairs company has moved out and I'm anxious to put some of my things back so I don't feel so crowded up here.
    I love French Onion soup but my husband does not so I don't make it very often. It just sounds so good with all that melted Swiss cheese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to like creams and tans a lot, too, Robin.  They're definitely warmer than greys.  I've never made a quilt with a lot of grey/greys.  Maybe someday I'll try it.
      It has been an unusual fall when it comes to trees changing color.  Even now that December is about to start, we still see trees with lots of bright leaves.
      The clouds you saw sound lovely.  And I think Utah's blue skies are much bluer than Ohio's!
      Is progress slow for Bramble Blooms because you're not happy with your center or do you have other things on your plate?  I hope to sew my background together yet this week, then decide on the flowers and colors.  This quilt-along will be a challenge for me not only because it's improve but because I like to plan ahead and won't be able to with this.  But it's all good.  I'm sure I'll learn lots.
      I'm so glad to hear that you have your downstairs back and can spread out a little again.  How wonderful for you!
      Yes, the melted cheese is one of the things I love the most about French Onion soup, especially if there's a good layer of bread for the soup to rest on.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...