Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Bramble Blooms (Beginning Late and Out of Order)

I'm often slow to make decisions.  I weigh the pros and cons, consider how much time an activity will take, whether now is a good time, what the results may be, may likely be, will probably be, etc.  Sometimes an opportunity has passed before I make a decision and I tell myself I probably wasn't supposed to do it. 

All that to explain why I'm just now making the commitment to create and stitch Bramble Blooms along with Audrey (of Quilty Folk) and about two dozen other quilters.    
flower drawings for Bramble Blooms quilt-along Instead of choosing fabrics first, I'm beginning by choosing a flower pattern for the center.  I've been drawing/doodling flowers for years.  An idea will come and I make a rough drawing.  When the second Bramble Blooms post published, I thought, Oh, what a great way to maybe use one of those flower doodles I've made.  Above are five possibilities.  None of these have leaves yet but two have thorns.  (Whenever I think of brambles I always think of trailing vines with thorns.)  And that upper right one....  It reminds me of a baby bonnet, so perhaps not that one.  I like the flowers Audrey created for the center of this quilt, all one fabric with the addition of a small piece at the bottom, because it would be simple to applique, but maybe better to make my own.  So many considerations....

Tomorrow I will sort fabric, considering these possible color combinations:
  • naturals, blues, corals, and yellows (plus greens and browns?)
  • bronzes/olives (a cross between brown and green but I don't know the color's name), oranges/reds, blues, and naturals
  • naturals, greens, pinks/reds, and browns
  • greys, blues, corals/reds, lights/mediums
  • blues, greens, greys, corals or reds
  • or . . . .

I need a little uninterrupted time to pull out fabrics and consider colors.  Not something to do with my daughter here when I want to spend time with her.  So tomorrow I'll play.  And make a decision in the next few days. 

Audrey's first two posts for this quiltalong are fabulous--detailed and in-depth.  I love how she shares her thinking and decision-making process.  What a lot of time to plan, prepare, type, and publish those posts.  And it's great to have a guide for improv quilting, someone who's been doing it for a while.  Thanks so much, Audrey! 

I've enjoyed Audrey's quilts for years.  Each is a bright spot with some new block, color combination, or applique arrangement.  Her quilts always make me wonder what she will come up with next.  The subtitle of her blog is "where whimsy meets tradition."  That's Audrey and her quilts.

(If Audrey's not okay with my joining in late, I'll probably unpublish this post and tell myself I wasn't supposed to participate anyway.)  

--Nancy.

16 comments:

  1. Love your sketches--I am going to be sewing really slowly with my thumb accident and all; I am slow anyway...i am not really used to Improv of this type--I've always changed up patterns to suit me, but this is flying without a net (i.e. pattern or any idea where it is going to end up!!) is new to me and challenging...I also love Audrey's works--and her explanations of her process are amazing...
    Have fun hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose. 
      I hope your thumb is healing and feeling better.  A cut like that must be painful.  I think there are others in the sewalong who are going slowly or starting later.I know what you mean about not having a pattern or any idea where the quilt is going.  When I decide on my own I've usually got a few sketches, but not with this!  Definitely a challenge.  I wonder what Audrey will suggest for the borders.I agree that her explanations are wonderful--detailed and carefully written, and covering about any question anyone might ask.

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine Audrey excluding you, there was no deadline? But you can follow along anyway.

    i agree about the yes/ no quandary of SALs, I do the same. With all the same thoughts and issues. [I have no stash old old ugly fabrics, for ex! That stymied my sign up....] I will enjoy reading Audrey's posts even if I get no further than having pulled background fabrics. She's a delightful talented teacher as well as a gifted quilter. And nicely low key, low stress.

    Your sketches are so cute.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Audrey suggested old fabrics so people wouldn't feel like they had to go out and buy new fabrics to participate. She has a really huge collection of fabrics and it seems like she's trying to use some of her older pieces. And who knows exactly what "old" is when it comes to fabric. I have some pieces that I've had for only a few years that seem old. Honestly, I doubt anyone is going to examine our fabrics--at least I hope not!

      I'd love for you to join and see what you do with this sewalong, Lizzy. You already make wonderful drawings of flowers--imagine how wonderful they would be in fabric!

      Delete
  3. I am so glad your are joining in on Audrey's QAL! There isn't any real timeline with this project, I don't think. She stressed that it would be a no stress type of sew along. I really like your sketches. It is backwards for me though, I usually start with a pattern, then choose my fabrics. I am still stuck on my applique design so I am glad there is no timeline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca.  I'm glad to be joining in.  It's backward for me, too.  Like you, I choose a pattern first, then fabrics.  I'm working on trying her method, though not as successfully as I wish. I'm still stuck on my fabrics!  I'm feeling a little stressed, even though she stressed it would be a no stress quiltalong.  Haha.

      Delete
  4. Nancy--I'm adding you to the link list now! So happy to have you along. There absolutely is no deadline for joining in. Love, love, love your flower sketches. Great that it is a way to connect right into the BBI QAL!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Audrey. And I appreciate your including me in your link list, Audrey. Also, thank you for hosting and doing such a great job of it, especially with your detailed post.

      Delete
  5. I'm enjoying checking in on everyone doing the Bramble QAL. You are quite the artist! I chose coneflowers but find that they are easier for me to grow than to draw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to begin visiting all the other participants' blogs and leave comments, Cathy. I think community is important in sewalongs.
      I would have known that your drawings were coneflowers without you telling me, so you draw better than you think you do! My drawings are more doodles than anything.

      Delete
  6. Your decision making process sounds just like mine!😊. I’m still hoping to join Audrey’s sew-along, but probably not till January so you are still way ahead of me! (gladiquilts.net)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're going to join the sew-along, Gladi. It will be fun to see your choices. Thanks for including the link to your website. I really enjoyed the video you included. You make beautiful quilts!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for visiting Nancy! I think I have my comment glitches ironed out now. Your flower shapes are all intriguing -- good luck working on your color palette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for visiting and leaving a comment, Jeanne. For some reason your comment didn't come to my email. I thought I had that all figured out but maybe not. Thanks for the wish for good luck for my colors! I need all the help I can get.

      Delete
  8. Radiant brilliance in your post! Insightful, well-articulated, and a pleasure to read. Thanks for sharing your valuable perspective.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...