Thursday, December 21, 2023

Parsonsfield, Tubas, Tomatoes, etc.

I finished Parsonfield (the top only) a few weeks ago but have had trouble getting a good photo.  Lori's quilt is white leaning to greys.  I knew I'd be happier with whites, creams, and tans.
Who knew low-volume/pastel quilts were so hard to photograph?!  In real life, the colors are somewhere between these two photos.  The above photo was taken with a flash, the photo below with natural light.  My top measures 23" which, I think, is slightly larger than Lori's. 
Parsonsfield was a sewalong offered by Lori of Humble Quilts.  I'm linking this post to Lori's linky party along with others who finished the quilt.  Thank you for recreating this little quilt and giving us the opportunity to recreate it, too, Lori.

Attending Merry Tuba Christmas has become one of our Christmas traditions.  This past Monday we enjoyed hearing the tubas play Christmas carols.  I like to sit in the balcony where the sound flows up from the tubas and descends from the ceiling to envelope me.  I think it must be like sitting in the middle of the stage surrounded by tubas.
It's hard not to appreciate the glitz and glitter (even though it's not my usual style) of the tubas.  In this photo, above, the players were giving a tuba cheer which is causing the blurry appearance.  Since their hands aren't free to clap, they lift and lower their instruments again and again.   It's a fun sight to see in person and almost as fun on video.



You can watch the tuba cheer at 17:20 minutes.  And you can hear one of my favorite tuba Christmas songs, "Santa Wants a Tuba for Christmas," with its history, beginning at 23:54 minutes.

We've had more than a few days with beautiful blue skies.  Of course, the weather has been cold and we've had wind most of those days, but it's been great to see the sun.  We did have two really grey days and one snowy day with snow that stuck to the ground.  I've always loved snow but I'm finding more and more that I love it most when I'm watching it through a window in a warm house.  Snow or not, freezing temperatures or not, I won't get to stay inside this winter with Nona here.  I may have to invest in some warmer winter wear.

The tomatoes are ready for Christmas!  I, on the other hand, am having a hard time, not just getting ready, but even wanting to get ready.  My theme song for this Christmas could be, "Where Are You, Christmas?"  The usual joy of the season has bypassed me.  Not that I haven't done some preparation.  The gifts are bought, but not wrapped.  We put up a small tree and added lights, but no decorations.  There are candles in the windows but only because they're in the windows  year-round.  Our front door has no wreath and I haven't pulled out any other decorations.  I haven't baked cookies or made candy.  I'd rather sleep or read, or maybe stitch or watch a movie, than do anything else.  I push myself to do, but my heart's not in it.  Dear Christmas, where are you this year?!  I realize that some years are just like this and accept it.  Next year's Christmas will probably be a wonderful one!

I hope you're making great memories this holiday season!

--Nancy.

6 comments:

  1. Your Parsonfield piece came out so beautifully--I love all those muted creams and white together...very calming...nice work....
    Funny you should mention not being in the "Christmas Spirit" this year; I find myself in the same quandry,,,I've not baked, nor decorated much--
    for me, missing loved ones who've gone on ahead has muted my usual Christmas feelings of joy.
    But for now, I am happy with my hot, foamy coffee and my crochet moving into the day..one day at a time in hopes that the usual joy will return......
    hugs, from a kindred spirit, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comments about my Parsonsfields quilt, Julierose. 
      It's really unusual for me to not enjoy Christmas, but, like you, I tried to appreciate the good and peaceful things happening in my life.  I hope your Christmas was good.

      Delete
  2. Love your Parsonsfield! I agree they are hard to photograph.
    Getting outside, cold or not, helps me make it through the long dark days of winter. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori. I appreciate the suggestion to get outside. I do try but several physical ailments make it hard (and more painful) to walk sometimes.
      Thanks again for hosting the quilt-along. I really enjoyed it.
      I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

      Delete
  3. Tuba Christmas always makes me smile. It's such an unusual concept for this mother of children who play violin and organ. I guess some of my other kids played French horn, saxophone, and bongos for a short time. If I ever have the chance to attend a concert like this - I'm all in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have lots of musicians in your family, Robin, with such a variety of talents.
      I can't remember where you live in Utah but from the Merry Tuba Christmas website, it looks like Logan, Provo, Salt Lake City, and Spanish Fork all had events this year. But maybe they're too far for you to travel....
      I hope you had a great Christmas!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...