Monday, October 8, 2012

Now Why Did I Come In Here?

Does this happen to you?  You walk into a room for some particular reason - maybe to pick up a magazine or look for something - and suddenly forget why you're there?

If you're like me perhaps you thought it was old age creeping up.  Not so!  Well, in my case, old age is creeping up but it's not the cause of this problem.  Turns out doors are the problem.

Psychologists at the University of Notre Dame have published the results of a study which discovered that walking through doorways causes an event boundary in the mind, separating one set of thoughts from the next.  The old thoughts or memories stay in the old room (figuratively).  The doorway opens to the brain a new, blank slate for new thoughts and memories in the new room.

I guess this explains why I have to walk back into the room where I first had the thought to remember why I went into the next room.  Strange how that works, isn't it?

What a relief to learn that doors have been causing my problem.  Thank goodness for researchers and studies.

Read here for more details about the study.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...