Tuesday, March 20, 2018

An Error in Judgment

I'm open to using a variety of thread for hand quilting.  If the color's right, the thread's strong, it doesn't smell like smoke or mildew, and it's all cotton or natural fiber, I figure it's good enough to use to hand quilt.  I found this spool of light brown/tan at a local craft shop where people donate their unwanted craft items for others to have (after a monetary donation) and brought it home. 


When I found it I didn't have an intended purpose but I knew the color would be useful.  I tested it by burning a section and found that it's a natural fiber because it turned to ash.  I don't know beyond that what fiber it is but it's too shiny to be cotton.  I also tested it before using by washing and drying it and by putting it under a hot iron.  All good.

The spool was full but there was no indication how much thread was on a full spool.  But then I never think about whether there will be enough thread to quilt a quilt, probably because in the past I've been able to get more.

Now I find that I have 15 squares and 8 stars yet to quilt and this (on the left photo) is what's left on the spool.













I was not exactly frugal while quilting.  If I had a few inches of thread left at the end of a row or block, I cut it off and threw it away and began with a fresh length, never thinking that I could run out.

My error in judgment is to use thread without considering whether there's enough for the whole quilt.  I may find I made a second error in judgment if, after tossing the finished quilt in the washer and dryer, I find that the thread has shrunk more than cotton usually does, or disintegrated, or some other untoward event happens to cause the quilt to need requilting.  Oh, how I hope that doesn't happen!


I suppose I'll use cotton quilting thread in a color as close as I can find to the one above if I don't have enough of this thread to finish the quilt.

Do you ever make errors in judgment with your quilting?  Do you always use the same brand of hand quilting thread?  Which kind do you like best?

Oh, yes!  I almost forgot.  It's the first day of spring.  Happy Spring!  Snow is predicted for our area tonight and most of the day tomorrow.  Those two groundhogs I saw eating greens on Saturday will probably be surprised.

I'm linking this post to
> Fiber Tuesday at The Quilting Room with Mel
> To Do Tuesday at Stitch All Things
> Let's Bee Social #220 at Sew Fresh Quilts
> WOW at Esther's Blog

Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.
.

16 comments:

  1. Skip a section and finish the thread. That way, you can make the new thread a design feature (instead of an afterthought.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might work, Joy. I have 12 blocks to finish, 3 at each corner, plus a few stars and most of the small squares. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  2. I do that all the time with thread - just do whatever works, and worry about it later. It is nerve wracking wondering and worrying whether you will finish with the area or with the thread first. Someone said she just sewed faster at the race, as if it will help. It's okay - it is only thread, after all, and it can be a design feature. It won't show up much in the overall design if you are close enough in matching. Your quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shasta. I'm so glad I'm not alone in my thread use. LOL -- sewing faster when you may not have enough thread. I wish it worked that way. Since this is a utility quilt I don't think it will make much difference whether the thread matches. My only concern is the shrinkage and whether sections of the quilt with one thread or the other will shrink more. Either way, I'm sure it will be fine.

      Delete
  3. I've always used a "hand quilting" thread. When I first started quilting I used Coats & Clark, but for most of my quilting years I have used Guterman. I like the strength of it. I know it won't break when I try to pop the knot through the surface.
    Your quilt is looking great! You are making rapid progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. I haven't tried Guterman but I will. If I run out of thread for this quilt, I'll buy a spool and try it. This thread I'm using now is the first thread that has ever broken when trying to pull the know through. I was surprised when it happened. Thanks for the thread recommendation.

      Delete
  4. I don't hand quilt, only machine quilting, so I admire your work! I hope you will not have those troubles you mentioned... (fingers cross!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fred. I hope I don't have troubles at the end, either, but if I run out of thread, I'm sure it will be okay. After all, it IS a utility quilt.

      Delete
  5. Maybe an error in judgement, but a good lesson to be learned by you and us! I know I've done that exact same thing with thread! You think it'll be enough...but it's just short!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Jayne, I think from now on I'll be more attentive to thread, and a few other details, too.

      Delete
  6. Hi Nancy,
    I can honestly say I never would have given it a thought either. It looked like you had plenty . . . Darn! I sure hope nothing untoward happens when you wash it! It sure is a pretty quilt - I love all the neutral colors and the pops of blue stars. I usually use Gutermann for hand quilting. It is easy to get at Joann's, they have sales on it all the time and lots of colors. For sewing I've been using Aurifil lately but before that Gutermann for piecing and quilting. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Roseanne. Thanks for your kinds words about the quilt. I'm so glad to hear that others wouldn't give a second thought to having enough thread, either. Someone else recommended Gutermann, too, so I think I'll give it a try, especially if I run out of thread for this quilt (imagining that surely one spool will be enough to finish 12 blocks, several stars, and the small squares). I have some Aurifil but I haven't used it on my machine yet. I think I should pull it out and give it a try.

      Delete
  7. Oh my, I would never have made such an error in judgement - ha, ha, ha. Most of my quilting includes at least one unintentional error! I hope all turns out well and that you are happy in the end. I LOVE this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. I'm just tickled to know that other quilters make errors in judgment, too. I see all your quilts and the quilts of other bloggers and imagine perfection the very first time! (Though I did notice you pointed out a little mistake in one of your Foothills quilts, though those kinds of mistakes just add interest.) Thanks for keeping it real for me.

      Delete
  8. I'm always making errors in judgment with my quilting! I should plan ahead more, but I get too caught up in the excitement of getting the quilt sewn and then finished with quilting! I do hope this all works out well for you and everything turns out perfectly! Thank you so much for linking up with To-Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Christine. I try to plan ahead and imagine the finished quilt but I make errors in judgment with more than just thread! I've run out of the first spool and bought a spool of cotton in a similar color yesterday. I don't suppose I'll know for sure how the two threads will work together until after I wash and dry the quilt. I'm hoping....

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...