Thursday, December 27, 2018

Nativity Scenes for Little Hands

Curious little minds and active hands caused me to reconsider setting out our hand-made Nativity from Guatemala this year.  The smaller Nativities stayed in their boxes, too, lest pieces be lost.  I decided that my small collection of Nativity Christmas cards would be better — no broken shards should they fall, no concerns about cards carried to bed or left on the floor.  My granddaughter helped me choose the best place for each but I think she and I were the only ones to notice them.  I thought I would share them here, just to keep Christmas going a little longer.


Some were cards we received in the past.  Usually I cut the back off and saved just the front.


Some have reproductions of famous paintings.


One is from the 1950s, found in a box purchased at an auction years ago, and depicts Jesus, Mary, Joseph, shepherds, and the Magi.

Some have one or more angels announcing his birth or surrounding him.




All show Jesus Christ as an infant.  I love these cards and enjoy seeing them every Christmas.  I know I would be sad if one were ripped or torn but I would not be as sad as if one of the ceramic figures were dashed to pieces (or worse, if one of the children were hurt by the shards).

It is always a disappointment to me that on December 26 it is as though the celebration of Christmas didn't exist (except in the return lines and the half-off Christmas sales at stores).  So, the sweet joyful feeling of Christmas continues at our house, not because of family visiting, or mountains of sweets, or more gifts to give and receive.  I think the spirit of Christmas continues because I'm still listening to Christmas music, enjoying the lights, and thinking of the blessings of the birth of my Savior. 

In the midst of play one day while my nearly-five-year-old granddaughter was here, she gave me two plastic bags with five little foil bundles in them inside more plastic bags.  When I opened them I didn't begin taking photos until there were only several left.  Inside those foil bundles I found two tiny chocolate chips and a cheese-nip cracker; three red, chewy candies; another cheese-nip; and a child-sized handful of tiny chocolate chips.



My little O is the sweetest granddaughter!

I know there many days until I will have to begin thinking beyond the holiday to finishing quilts and jumping into regular activities, but for now, it's Christmas for me.  I hope you're continuing to savor the joy that is Christmas, if you celebrate the holiday.

--Nancy.
.

8 comments:

  1. I am still playing Christmas music as I make a Christmas quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to know others continue to celebrate and enjoy Christmas, Joan!

      Delete
  2. Consider celebrating all 12 days of Christmas - a joyous way to extend the holy day. We traditionally exchange presents on the Epiphany (12th day) and have a party. A lovely way to end the holiday. Jan 7th the decorations come down. Merry Christmas, Nancy, and God's blessing in the coming New Year. Love your cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie. I wish the same for you. That's a great idea, to celebrate the 12 days of Christmas. I wish I could persuade my family to go along with the idea. They seem to prefer the 12 days before Christmas instead of after! But I can do it personally, of course.

      Delete
  3. My tradition is to celebrate Christmas until Twelfth Night, or Three Kings Day, on January 5th. Other than Advent candles and calendars the holiday focus was this week [when I was a child], not the days right after Thanksgiving.
    I am alone now during this week, so I always celebrate by working on a special small Christmas quilt. I ll start tomorrow.
    The cards are very special. And I see your point about the Nativities. Could you find a wooden one instead? I have only my grandma's tiny one, it seems to be wax, and only the creche, Mary and The Baby still are here.

    My dad hand carved a Noah's Ark for me and my children, so that they could handle the tiny creatures safely. Thirty pairs of animals! Only one dove is now missing, and my dog, not Mo!, tried to chew Noah. One of my best treasures.

    Merry Christmas!

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems you're not the only one who celebrates the 12 days after Christmas, Lizzy. I like the idea and sort of do it personally, but my family is not interested in keeping Christmas longer than a day or two after the 25th.

      A wooden nativity would not be breakable but my grands like to carry little pieces all over the house. I seem like the mean gramma when I ask them to leave things where they are. Maybe in a year or two I'll give our wooden nativity a try.

      How wonderful to have a Noah's Ark carved by your father! A treasure, indeed!

      Delete
  4. I so enjoyed this post. It still feels like Christmas to me too. I had company come the day after Christmas for a wedding. So the busyness of Christmas didn't stop until today. I always enjoy the week between Christmas and New Year's Day, it's like a present of peace to me. I told you I'd let you know how I liked the wool batting that I put in a quilt earlier in the year. I have it on the bed now that temperatures are dipping into the teens. It isn't too warm like I was afraid it would be. And I love how it drapes and forms around you to help you stay warm. Also, the stocks block is delightful. This is going to be such a fun quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I agree, that week between Christmas and New Year's Day is a very sweet time, but peaceful (as far as quiet and low-key) only if there aren't little ones visiting. I'll take it either way it comes because I'm thrilled to have my little grands visit (not matter how exhausted I my by the time they leave).

      Thanks for letting me know about the wool batting. Which brand did you use, do you remember? Have you washed and dried it yet and, if so, did it come out okay? I've been wanting to try one. One of these days I will!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...