Saturday, February 8, 2020

Hue, Tint, Tone, Shade - Saturday Snapshots

Fishing Pier at Dania Beach, Florida

The ocean is one of my favorite places to be.  It's been years since I set eyes on ocean waves and dug my toes into the sand.  It is one of those places that is always the same yet always changing.  And I love it.

Fishing Pier at Dania Beach, Florida


I had forgotten how the ocean's color changes from place to place, from day to day, from morning to night, sometimes from hour to hour.
Hollywood Beach, Florida

This time I was struck by how bright and beautiful the water was. Blues from pastel to navy, aquas, turquoises, teals, greens. And near-violet several times, too.  Hues, tints, tones, and shades.
Hollywood Beach, Florida

The waves were gentle and the water was warm.
Hollywood Beach, Florida

One day was cloudy. (Florida was lightly cloudy compared to Ohio's dense, dark clouds that sometimes necessitate lights on inside during the day to see what we're doing.)

Hollywood Beach, Florida


Hollywood Beach, Florida


My daughter had the last week of January and the first week of February off  work.  At the beginning of January she suggested, spur of the moment, that we take a little trip somewhere for a few days while she was off.  New York City and Florida were the two locations we discussed, then wavered back and for a week or more.  My older daughter's husband was able to get time off so she could go, too.  And we ended up in Hollywood, Florida, in a hotel that was on the beach.  Glorious sunshine, sand, and ocean!

I would have loved to spend all day every day on the beach but we three had different ideas about what would be the most fun so we compromised and spent time at the ocean and time doing other things.  One of our favorite places was the Anne Kolb Nature Center where we saw a mangrove forest.  Oh so interesting!  Looking into the forest (growing in water) we saw a mass of roots sprouting from the trunk of the trees, some above and reaching for the water, more already deep into the water.  A tangle of roots!  We visited twice:  first in the afternoon, then a few days later just before sunset.  During that last visit we kept hearing snaps, pops, cracks, and squeaks coming from the water where the mangroves were.  We couldn't see anything making the noises, nor any movement in the water.  We learned that the mussels in the water were closing their shells.   
Mangrove forest at Anne Kolb Nature Center, Hollywood, Florida

Mangrove forest at Anne Kolb Nature Center, Hollywood, Florida

Another day we visited Tree Tops Park in Davie where we saw a banyan tree.  The photos below start with what we saw at eye level, then a little higher, and finally toward the top of the tree.  There was no way to get the whole tree into one photograph.  The diameter of the group of roots was perhaps 40 feet or more, growing in a semi-circle.  I could not tell if the branches were reaching for the ground to put down roots or the stems were growing up.  Beautiful and fascinating.  

Banyan tree at Tree Tops Park, Davie, Florida

Banyan tree at Tree Tops Park, Davie, Florida

Banyan tree at Tree Tops Park, Davie, Florida

It was a joy to spend five days with my daughters enjoying sun, sand, ocean, and nature.




--Nancy.
.

22 comments:

  1. oooh anytime at the ocean is the closest to heaven we'll ever get...i am about 2 hrs away but it's a traffic nightmare to get there...and with your family is just perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't know what it is exactly about the ocean that makes it seem so heavenly but I love it, too.  And it was great fun to share it with my daughters.  

      It's too bad traffic makes it such a difficult drive to the ocean for you, Grace  I.  Two hours seems like a short distance until I travel it and am ready to be there after one hour!

      Delete
  2. So glad you got to spend some time with sun and sea and family! A lovely respite from winter!
    (Some of your photos could inspire a colorway for a quilt!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful, Gayle, and so sad to return to the greyest skies ever.  Still, there's the memory of sun!
      Yeh, I'm not much of a lover of blues but I noticed how the colors in some of the photographs could make great quilts.  Maybe I'll have enough of a collection of blues one of these days to try one.

      Delete
  3. How fun to be with your daughters! And the beach where you went looks lovely and deserted. A winter break to a warm beach is uplifting.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful time, Lizzy.  The beach was busy on Saturday and Sunday, much less busy on Monday because it was a cloudy day, and then somewhat busy the other days.  So not deserted but the people didn't sit very close to the ocean.  I had forgotten how beaches are so different and was thinking of the one you post on your blog, expecting to see a flat beach.  But it wasn't.  From the boardwalk we walked down an incline to get to the ocean.  You can see the beginning of it in the third photo on the left side. 

      It really was wonderful to see the sun, but we arrived home to a really grey day -- and weeks since!

      Delete
  4. The ocean is beautiful, and on the rare occasions when this landlocked gal has been there, I am always overcome by the vastness and majesty I feel there.
    You captured beautiful photos of the color and movement. I felt like I was there with you on the shore, and I wanted to dabble my toes in a wave.
    The different tress look and sound fascinating. Sounds like a wonderful getaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet.  I'm landlocked, too, and rarely get to the ocean.  People so often look at the sky and stars to imagine the vastness of the universe but for me, it's the ocean.  And the infinite variety of bits of natures -- leaves, snowflakes, seed pods, etc.  Father is so amazing!  It was a great get-away!

      Delete
  5. Fabulous photos!! Makes me homesick. Yes, I'm from Florida, but haven't lived there in many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyful.  It was really wonderful to see the sun in winter.  I don't know that I would like the heat in the summer but for a break in the winter, it was fabulous.  Where did you live in Florida?

      Delete
  6. Great photos! The beach is my happy place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karrin.  I hope you get to visit the beach often!

      Delete
  7. Very interesting photos! Looks like a great sunny getaway. I've never been to Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia.  It was a fun trip and I loved the sun and the mid-70s temperatures.  I was so sad to come home to leaden skies.  It was my first trip to Florida, too.  I loved the ocean, the driving not so much.

      Delete
  8. I could just feel your joy as I read and it made my heart abundantly happy! It sounds like a fabulous trip, made even more precious because you were able to spend it with your girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so kind-hearted, Karin.  Thank you for your sweet comments.  It was a wonderful trip and so fun to spend time with my daughters without time constraints.  I love remembering the sun and ocean as we wade through these greyest of grey winter days here in Ohio.  I love grey days, too, but it would be nice not to have quite so many in succession.  Haha.  

      Delete
  9. What an absolutely fabulous getaway for you, Nancy. I enjoyed your post very much. Being from an ocean province, I love it and you are right, it never looks the same. We find our little pond to be the same way too. I saw banyan trees in Miami once...all fascinating to me and who knew mussels made such noise closing their shells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn.  Did you/do you get to spend much time at the ocean?  I would love to live close enough to visit often!  Yes, I was surprised about the mussels, too.  The noises were almost creepy, especially at dusk and walking on the board walkway with the water and trees all around us.  I kept thinking that there must surely be lots of ghost stories and legends about mangrove forests.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely time together! Now if I'm ever there and hear those pops and snaps, I'll be the one who knows what they are and can share the knowledge. Thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was wonderful, Susan.  You could probably look up a ghost story or a legend to go with the explanation when you're the only one who knows what the noises are!

      Delete
  11. Lovely pictures! Seeing these makes me wish I was there now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenna. Oh, yes, me too to being there now!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...