Friday, June 5, 2020

Everyday Patchwork for June's One Monthly Goal

My One Monthly Goal for June is to decide on the layout then cut and sew the sashing and cornerstones for these blocks for Cheri Payne's Everyday Patchwork quilt.  You can read a previous post about my sashing choice here.

blocks for Cheri Payne's Everyday Patchwork

Cheri's original quilt has 25 blocks for a nearly square quilt but since I want a longer quilt I made five more blocks (as in photo above).  That still seemed too small so I made 5 more blocks for a quilt 5 x 7 blocks (below).  And now I'm undecided about the length.

blocks for Cheri Payne's Everyday Patchwork

These blocks will finish at 8".  The sashing will finish at 2".  The bottom and side borders will finish at 4".  And the top border will finish at 6".  Or, I could adjust the width of the borders to make the quilt wider and more proportionate.
A quilt with 5 x 6 blocks will finish at about 60" x 72". 
A quilt with 5 x 7 blocks will finish at about 60" x 80". 

blocks for Cheri Payne's Everyday Patchwork

Cheri used half square triangle squares for the cornerstones.  I'm deliberating what to use, but am leaning toward simple squares.

So my One Monthly Goal for June is to decide on the layout of the blocks then cut sashing and cornerstones and sew the blocks together.  (My goal does not including adding the borders or the applique on the borders.)

I'm linking this post to
> One Monthly Goal June Link-up at Elm Street Quilts
> Put Your Foot Down at For the love of Geese
> Off the Wall Friday at Nina Marie Sayre's blog
> Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
> Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.
.

14 comments:

  1. Your blocks look great, it's going to be a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Frédérique.  I hope so!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love the colors you have chosen for this. It just all goes together so perfectly. I like the 5 X 7 layout. It gives you a little to tuck under the mattress if you need to. This is really special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin.  They seem like such a hodgepodge of colors to me, most muted but still a hodgepodge.  I'm glad you think they work together.  I hope I will think so too when the quilt is finished. 

      Delete
  3. Great blocks, love the colors! Good luck on reaching your goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karrin.  The colors are such a mix.  I'm glad you and others think they work well together.

      Delete
  4. Fun blocks. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those blocks are so pretty! that is a great goal - you got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alycia.   I just realized yesterday that we're almost a third of the way through the month, my daughter will have almost two weeks off, and I've only cut a third of the sashing.  I have to get busy!

      Delete
  6. I love the fabric in your blocks. Layout is always a struggle for me but I like the 5 x 6 layout. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down. Looking forward to seeing which layout you decide on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those fabrics all look so great together! I think I like yours even better than Cheri's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan.   There is a block, or two, that I'm not certain about but I don't think I will remake any.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...