Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Binding the Blue and the Gray - One Monthly Goal for November

Hooray!  I finished the quilting on the Blue and the Gray quilt yesterday, and today I cut around the edges.  

The Blue and the Gray quilt

I think maybe you can see the quilting a little better in this photo, below -- diagonal in the blocks and cornerstones, lines in the sashing.  At the time I took this I still had one border rectangle and one corner to quilt.

The Blue and the Gray quilt

The corners of this quilt will be rounded.  The sashing on either side of the corners are quilted in straight lines so  I decided to continue the quilting lines right around the curves of the corners.  I marked the corners before I layered and basted the quilt.  But by the time I was ready to quilt them, the marks were too light to see.  (I know, they show up in the photo below, but not so much in real life.)  So I marked them again.  I couldn't remember what bowl I'd used the first time and couldn't find one that was the same size.  In the end, I used a 10" quilting hoop because the pattern for the half-size quilt used a 5" bowl.  

quilting a rounded corner

I couldn't find sequential sizes of anything to trace the curves so I just measured from the outside edge using pins, then quilted toward along the pins.  Not a perfect solution but it worked well enough.

My One Monthly Goal for November is to choose fabric for binding then attach it for a finished quilt.  I'm a little uncertain how to bind around those curves, unless I cut the binding on the bias.

I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal November at Elm Street Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Patty.

--Nancy.

12 comments:

  1. This is a lovely piece and your quilting is great.
    Congratulations on finishing it Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I always feel so light when I have the weight off my shoulders of the actual quilting on a quilt. This looks so great. I hope you're going to keep it for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Robin.  I don't know what will happen to this quilt.  If one of my daughters or another family member wants it, I'll pass it along.  Yes, quilts get heavy.  I don't know why I notice it more near the end than at the beginning but I seem to.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations!! It’s a great quilt and always fun to be able to check one off the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennie.  It's a simple quilt pattern but I do love it.  Binding seems to take me forever but I should have it done one of these weeks.

      Delete
  4. You are getting close to a finish. I'm SEW looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the red cross blocks for sashing. Stunning. You'll be done with this quilt in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for leaving a comment, Kathy.  I wish I'd come up with the idea of the red cross cornerstone blocks!  I love them, too.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...