Saturday, October 31, 2020

Still Playing - One Monthly Goal Finish

My October One Monthly Goal was to play with possibilities for sashings, borders, and layout for the Baskets of Plenty blocks for at least nine hours during the month.  I chose that goal because it lifted the burden and stress of making definitive creative choices by a deadline, something I don't do well.  I spent lots and lots of hours, many more than nine, considering options and trying them out.  Here are some (maybe too many) photos.

I began with the idea that each block needed an additional narrow border, in either light or medium tones.


I didn't immediately decide the width but finally chose a 1" border.


I placed those blocks against mostly black and a little blue to try to imagine sashing colors.


My original thought was that a print border would be just too much for these blocks.  So I pulled several solids and created collages in my photo program.  You can see that the fabric colors I have are not quite the same as the colors in the collages.

My next idea, shown below, was to add a slightly wider dark red/maroon/burgundy border and place the blocks against a brown print as if it were sashing.  I'm thinking of 5" sashing.

I thought I would like the black sashing and while I think it looks dramatic, black just isn't a color I use in our home.  Hence the brown.




I think these look a little like matted and framed prints, ready to go on a wall.  And I wonder if I'm making too much of these blocks, trying to make them more than they are.  The blocks are definitely not wall-worthy but the baskets and flowers need a little breathing room and the blocks (and quilt) need to be bigger because I want a bed-sized quilt.  Or at least one that's long enough to tuck under one's feet for a nap.



In the photos above and the one below you can see how the browns look.  I think the cornerstones will enliven the brown and tie the blocks together.   (Unless I choose a different sashing color.)


I have several burgundy/maroon fabrics.  There is one (in the photo below) that is truly beautiful -- deep, rich, warm.  The other three are very close but lacking just a little.  If I choose this color as a second border I'll probably have to use two different fabrics since I don't have a lot of the really beautiful one.


These are the browns I'm considering using.  The photos above show the true colors of the browns better.

So, after all this play, the only real decision I've made is to add a 1" light-colored border around the blocks.  I'm leaning toward the burgundy border with brown sashing plus square-in-square blocks for cornerstones.

Perhaps a lighter, brighter fabric for sashing would enhance these blocks.  Because they are created using Cheri Payne's primitive-syle patterns, I tend to think of medium to dark fabrics.   I don't know....

The other day after I'd added light borders to one of the blocks I placed it against the burgundy then surrounded it by brown, and walked away.  I forgot about it.  A little later I was thinking of something else when I walked into the room where the blocks were on the floor.  And I gasped in delight.  How perfect, I thought.  But that was just one block, not all of them.

I think play is an essential part of creating a quilt that's your own (as opposed to using a purchased pattern and kit with everything already chosen by someone else).  I find my imagination is not really helpful because it's so faulty.  What I think will look great often does not when I finally put everything together.  I imagine so many of you with flawless imaginations, choosing colors and fabrics, the perfect arrangement, turning out beautiful quilts because you already know how they will look. 

I don't know what the next steps for this quilt will be.  I have light borders to add to six more blocks, and I'll go from there.  There's more play in my future!

I'm linking this post to
> One Monthly Goal Finish Link-up for October at Elm Street Quilts
> BOMS Away at What a Hoot Quilts
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.

20 comments:

  1. I agree that time to play is important. I often have blocks on the design wall auditioning sashing and borders. But I never go scrappy. I think that takes a lot more imagination than I usually give to a quilt. Looking forward to seeing what you finally decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank  you, Chris.  I hadn't thought about scrappy taking more imagination.  I'll have to give that some consideration, because I nearly always choose scrappy....

      Delete
  2. I think most of is go through the difficulty with decisions just as you are. We just don't post them on our blogs, or remark on a 2-hour hair-pulling session as a single sentence! But you are doing this because you want to do justice to your DEFINITELY wall-worthy blocks. You don't want to cringe later at a decision made in haste. But like so many decisions in life, sometimes they turn out to be not as good as you thought and the best you can do is learn from them. Sometimes it is better to go with your gut, initial idea...sometimes it is not. I'm sure whatever you choose will look beautiful and we will ooh and aah over it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights about the creative process, Katie.  I think it's because others don't share much about their process that I think I'm the only one (or one of only a few) who goes through this process! 

      Delete
  3. These look wonderful. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think tying all the blocks of a quilt together with sashing/borders is one of the more difficult aspects of quilting, and needs the thoughtful approach you're going through. In the end you will have the quilt you love! Even if you have to buy some additional fabric if your favorite just isn't enough for the whole. Having just the right shade of a color can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat.  For me, I don't think much about the sashings until I have to choose them.  And in a finished quilt, I think I really only notice them if they seem odd or not quite right.  Otherwise, they're just part of the whole quilt.  So you're absolutely right, choosing sashings and borders carefully is essential -- and difficult! 

      That wonderful shade of burgundy that I have so little of...  I have no idea where I got it.  It's probably been in among my fabrics for a dozen years or more.  If I decide on maroon/burgundy, I'll use what I have.  There's really just the slightest difference in shade.  After it's quilted, I'm sure I won't notice.

      Delete
  5. I am a fan of brown so I think it was a very good choice over the black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen.  We are alike in that way.  Brown is one of my favorite colors.

      Delete
  6. Well, my imagination isn't flawless, that's for sure. It's so hard to find just the right thing for sashing. And, when I ask someone what they think, they see things differently than I do, and so their perception doesn't work for me. I used to ask my husband his opinion of something I was working on and it was so different than mine I had to stop asking. We have since discovered he has blue-yellow color blindness, which I had never heard of before. That accounts for our lack of agreement on whether something clashes or not. The brown and brighter maroon looks great to me but then, it has to look good to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.  Thank you, Robin.  Oh, your poor husband, finding out he's colorblind.  That must have been such a shock to him!  And to you, too, for that matter, wondering why he would choose a color that looked so obviously wrong to you. 

      I can't remember having such a hard time with sashing before.  Maybe it's because I'm trying to increase the size of the blocks without it being too obvious; use a border and sashing; and trying to stay with Cheri's primitive style (which doesn't come naturally to me).  I like the maroon and browns.  I glad they look good to another person, too.

      Delete
  7. I really don't think you could go wrong, no matter what choice you make. It's going to be a fabulous quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyful.  I appreciate your confidence!

      Delete
  8. I always enjoy your design thought processes. Your Baskets are darling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy.  I sometimes wonder if I go overboard with details and bore everyone.  But I guess they can just look at the photos and leave, can't they? 

      Delete
  9. Play is definitely a key need for successful creativity. Also, marinating. . . coming back to a possibility, like you described doing. Fresh eyes verify a choice or tell us something may need adjustment. :) I really, REALLY love the light and then the burgundy borders! This is going to be a nice quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynette!  I hope the light and burgundy borders look as good as I hope they will.
      That marinating part....  Sometimes I come to a complete standstill while letting quilty decisions marinate, but it's an important step for me when making quilts (or almost anything). 

      Delete
  10. Sometimes I know exactly what I want to do with blocks, and other times it takes months, or even years before my "play" yields results that speaks to me.
    I think your light border around the blocks is a good call. Beyond that I have liked all of your other options. If the burgundy/brown looks better in your home, then you can't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have noticed that sometimes you finish quilts in a week, other times less quickly, Janet.  I guess each quilt has its own needs which sometimes take us longer to see....
      Thanks for your comments about the blocks and borders in this post.  They are coming along slowly.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...