Thursday, January 28, 2021

More Leaves Quilted

maple leaf quilt blocks

My One Monthly Goal for January was to hand quilt 15 of these leaves to give me a total of 29 quilted blocks.  So far this month I've quilted 19½ blocks, for a total of 33½ blocks quilted.  Goal met.    

The colors in the photo below are odd and far from accurate but I've included it because it shows the quilting.  Sometimes it worked for the arcs to continue from one block to the next, other times it didn't.  I think the quilting will be okay but it's hard to tell how much I will (or won't) like it till it's bound, washed, and dried.  Do you ever not know how much you like (or will like) a quilt until it's finished?


With 33 of 80 blocks quilted, it's just over a third finished.  I must always remind myself that just because the center is quilted, I'm not yet halfway done with the whole quilt.  But that's okay.  I love quilting these leaves, putting the hoop around one and quilting just it, then moving to the next.  I think this may be the first time I've been able to quilt a block without moving the hoop.  I love doing it that way!

maple leaf quilt blocks

I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal January Finish Link-up at Elm Street Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Patty.

--Nancy.

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful job on this Nancy!! I have to do 9 more Geese then the center will be quilted then I also have the outside rows to do, plus top and bottom borders...So I totally get it!! But I am enjoying this journey...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose.  The last I saw, your geese were looking great.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. So glad you do, Lizzy.  I'm back to being slightly uncertain whether I love it or not.

      Delete
  3. You've made great progress. I believe the arcs you are quilting make it appear even more as though the leaves are floating on the breeze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet.  I wasn't sure how the arcs would look but I agree that they give the impression of a breeze.

      Delete
  4. I think the quilting is great, love the way the curves sway from block to block. Great idea and I'm going to remember this for one of my own projects. Thanks and happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gretchen.  I still have lots of blocks to quilt but I'm looking forward to seeing what the whole quilt looks like then it's finally finished.  I'm wondering whether the windblown effect will be smooth or choppy.  If/when you use this quilting pattern I hope you'll let me know so I can see it on your quilt.

      Delete
  5. Your quilting is looking so great. It's a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia.  I've noticed that sometimes my stitches are small and even, other times I can't seem to manage it and they're uneven.  But since it's not a show quilt it won't matter. 

      Delete
  6. I like the way the fan quilting meanders back and forth, just like the wind swirls the dry fallen autumn leaves. Perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Pat.  I hope it looks great when the whole quilt is finished, too!

      Delete
  7. I love the way the leaves sway. This quilt is keeping you warm already as you sit under it to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin.  Yes, it is keeping me warm on these frigid days!

      Delete
  8. Its looking wonderful! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great progress. It amazes me that your arcs look so good without marking them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennie.  The arcs are relatively smooth but they're not evenly spaced which, to some quilters, would be a negative, I suppose.  I just assumed that the ladies who sat together around a quilting frame and hand-quilted baptist fans in the 1920s, '30s, and '40s, did it by eye, too.  But maybe not.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...