Friday, August 27, 2021

Time Flies Has a Border

Time Flies now has a border, completing my One Monthly Goal for August, 2021.
hourglass quilt
I was fairly certain I would use the strips of red fabric left over from another quilt for the border.  They were just 6½" wide which was perfect.  When I realized I didn't quite have enough I improvised and used 4 leftover hourglass blocks and an-already-cut-apart shirt that was almost a match.  I had to cut several strips--very carefully so I could align the stripes--then sew them and cut to size.  I don't notice the difference from a distance but it's obvious when close.
The border improves what I think of this quilt and how much I like it.  I didn't like it much before the border. 

I probably made a bad choice in the way I measured the fabric for the border.  Instead of measuring the whole quilt top, I counted the blocks, multiplied by 6, added ½", cut the length, pinned, and sewed.  I'm sure that's an unconventional way to measure a border knowing that even though a block is supposed to be 6" doesn't mean every block is 6".  But the quilt is flat all the way to the outer edges.  Perhaps I'm getting over the idea of a quilt being precious.

By the time I finish a scrap/scrappy quilt I see all the ways I could have improved it, perhaps with fabric or color choices, or the placement of either, block placement, or in some other way.  It's so with this one.  Sometimes I take parts of quilt tops apart to improve them, but it's a habit I'm going to try to break.  If a top was fine when I folded it to await quilting I'm going (to try hard) to leave it and just layer, baste, and quilt.  (I'll let you know how that works when I pull the next quilt top out to layer and baste it.)

Already I'm wondering what fabric to use for binding.  Maybe one of the lighter reds in the center blocks.  Or maybe one of the plaids, or just the red striped shirt fabric, though I don't really want to cut up the rest of that wonderful fabric for a binding.  Hmmm.  I have a long time till I have to make that decision.

I'm linking this post to
> One Monthly Goal August Finish Link-up at Elm Street Quilts.
> Finished (or not) Friday at Alycia Quilts
> Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
> Can I get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Thanks for hosting, Patty, Alycia, Wendy, and Sarah.

I hope you're staying healthy!  Covid has certainly created a mess.  My younger daughter is a nurse who works in an ICU caring primarily for Covid patients.  She's so ready to be done with Covid.  In fact, I think she may be suffering from PTSD because she's see so many horrendous medical procedures and so many deaths.  She said the cases are rising to the level they were when Covid was last at its worst.  Around here, people behave as though we're finished with Covid -- no masks, no social distancing, and who knows about hand washing.  My daughter has had the vaccine and she continues to wear a mask and tries her best not to be close to people.  The vaccine may help the symptoms be milder but it certainly doesn't prevent people from getting Covid. 

Take good care!
--Nancy.

22 comments:

  1. I like your quilt very much, it looks so cosy and the border is good, I like the solution for the shortage of fabric. Just leave the quilt as it is, it is beautifull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kleine Vingers. I think this will be a cozy quilt if I use a slightly thicker batting than usual. I hope I can leave it when I look at again before layering and quilting.

      Delete
  2. Your quilts always sing to me. This one does, too. Thanks for sharing your work.
    Sharon M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sharon. I appreciate that kind thought.

      Delete
  3. I love the addition to the border and agree with you that it makes it better. Don't tell the quilt police, but 99% of the time, that is how I measure my borders, too. I do pim before I sew and if things look wonky, I start over, but so far my quilts lay flat. I guess that means my quarter inch seam is pretty accurate? As for changing your mind between construction and quilting, maybe you need to lessen that gap of time? Okay, now that you're done laughing with me, I'll admit I get it! Hugs to your daughter for doing what she does and to help her heal emotionally. I cannot even begin to imagine doing her job, but am immensely thankful for her and those like her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katie. I would say that your quarter-inch seams are excellent if you can add a border without measuring the quilt and have the quilt lie flat. Excellent!
      I did laugh out loud at your suggestion of lessening the gap of time between construction and quilting. I really wish I could hand quilt as fast as I piece a quilt. I should work on that.
      Thanks for the hugs for my daughter. Most of us have no idea how awful it is for the nurses caring for Covid patients.

      Delete
  4. Your quilt just glows! I love the colors and fabrics. Great idea to extend the border fabrics with hourglass blocks. Your daughter is a hero today. Please thank her for what she is giving to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Ramona.
      I will thank my daughter for you. It was a particularly rough day today and she'll appreciate your thanks.

      Delete
  5. I think the improvised border makes the quilt more interesting. And I say, once it’s done, it’s done!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennie. I hope I can be more like you with your 'done is done philosophy!'
      I hope you have a good weekend, too.

      Delete
  6. Just Striking! It's perfect just as it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathi. I hope I don't think it needs changes when I pull it out to quilt it!

      Delete
  7. Oh Nancy, the border is wonderful! It just adds the perfect touch to an already attractive quilt but now it is even more so. Nice job! I would be anxious to start quilting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I agree, the border adds the extra the quilt needed. I thought about layering it next but I didn't have backing. I'll be on the lookout for it now.

      Delete
  8. Your border is inspired! Great looking. I agree that this vaccine isn't really a vaccine, but it seems the best we're going to get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. You're probably right about no better vaccine or other resistance to covid is in the future. Ugh.

      Delete
  9. I love it, with the varied shades!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! I really like how you did the border - those additional blocks in the border just draw that whole quilt out - it is lovely. Please hug your daughter for us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alycia. I'm pleased the blocks in the border work as well as they do. I'll send your hug along to my daughter.

      Delete
  11. Lovely! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congratulations on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patty. And thanks for hosting One Monthly Goal every month. I appreciate it.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...