Wednesday, August 25, 2021

A Trip to the Farm in Photos

Lizzy said she'd like to see photos of my daughter and her husband's farm.  Since getting there is part of the beauty, I'm including those photos, too.  (Skip to near the end to see just the farm.)  These are not all from the same trip--some were taken in the fall, some in spring/summer.  (This is photo-heavy post!)
The country road to the farm is perhaps two miles of scenic Kentucky byway running alongside a creek. Bridges cross over the creek as it meanders from one side of the road to the other. The road slowly, gradually descends, mostly without one realizing it. I began taking photos after we passed most of the houses. Here we go!
Here we are at the driveway, above on the right. It's a steep drive (I'm sure it must be a 45-degree incline!) with deep valleys on the right and steep hills on the left.  I believe, but don't have proof, that the top of their driveway, where the house and farm are, is at about the same elevation as the beginning of the road they live on.  We'll take this drive a little slower since it's gravel-covered with several curves.  It can be treacherous in winter.
In the photo below you can see the hill on the left but not the drop on the right.

At the right of these photos you get a hint of the drop into a valley.
It is exhilarating to finally see the clearing in the trees widen and know we're almost there.
Here we are at the top of the hill in front of the house!  It sits on the edge of the property with the 30 acres of farmland surrounding it.  Below, the driveway in front of the house curves around and leads to the barn and several other farms.

The barn is an old tobacco barn, now used for animals in the winter and mamas with babies.
Pasture land.  Perhaps you can tell that there is another dip or valley between the far edge of the grass you see and the trees beyond.  The land at the top of the hill gently undulates.

There is a small herd of Dexter cattle, which are smaller than most other breeds.  They don't seem to like people much.  They may let my son-in-law get close, but not me.

When I was walking with my granddaughter last spring two of the guys with horns were beginning to tussle not far from us.  Speaking to them as I would speak a dog I said, "Hey boys, calm down."  My granddaughter looked at me and said, "Gramma, those aren't boys.  Those are girls."  Silly me.  I thought only the males had horns. 

There are four pigs.  Everyone in my family thinks pigs are adorable--except me.  I don't see the cuteness factor.  It is surprising and wonderful that these pigs don't have that awful pig smell.
The sheep are hair sheep.  It looks like wool when it's growing but then it becomes coarse and falls out.  I think they look unkempt when they're half woolly and half smooth but an advantage of these sheep is not having to shear them.

Some of the sheep are friendly and will approach for a pet or rub.  These two in front, below, fancy themselves in charge of the flock.  One of them butted me from behind last spring when I was out walking in the pasture.  That was a surprise!
Now back toward the house...

...and down the hill toward home.

I would like to visit my daughter and her family at the farm but she has Covid.  An in-person visit will have to wait.

Sorry there's nothing about quilting in this post.  Next time!

--Nancy.
.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennie, and you're welcome. Too many photos, even after I deleted a bunch, but I knew readers could decide how many to look at and in what detail.

      Delete
  2. Thank you! It is beautiful, isn't it. I love the rural winding country road. And the animals.

    Sorry your daughter has Covid, sending prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Lizzy. Kentucky is really a beautiful state and my favorite part of the trip to visit my daughter (the travel part) is driving down the road to their house and going up their driveway.

      Thanks for the prayers for my daughter. I'm hoping (and praying) she'll begin to feel better very soon.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm sorry to hear your daughter is sick. It is such a precarious time, just when you think it's all going to be alright. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. She's had a rough go of it these past few months with a baby born at the end of April, then gallbladder problems with a surgery in July, and now Covid. And her five little ones (ages 9 to a few months) at home in quarantine with her. I hope and pray she's on the mend.

      Delete
  4. Many of your pics look like part of a Thomas Kinkade painting. I've walked 2mi without problems but not the 2mi to your DD. I would consider that a challenge especially in winter, all uphill! I hope she recovers without hospitalization. Thanks for sharing beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. The walk along the road would probably be a gentle walk, but that walk up their driveway would be grueling. I'm not sure I could do it. I hope she recovers without hospitalization, too! You're welcome.

      Delete
  5. Nice drive, thanks for taking us along. A farmer near here has a small herd of those self shedding sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome, QuiltGranma. The first time I saw them was when my son-in-law bought them but now I see them more often. That breed seems to becoming more popular.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...