Friday, November 5, 2021

Making Dear Prudence, A Little Quilt

Wendy the Constant Quilter hosts a monthly miniature quilt link-up at the end of every month.  Such beautiful quilts the ladies make!  I love the mini quilts and have made a few but always wonder what to do with them. Then, early in October, Rogue Quilter Janet (who is one of the queens of miniature quilts) extended a challenge in conjunction with Wendy's mini link-up:  use a bag of leftover scraps and make a miniature quilt from them.  She offered a few of her bags to readers who were already participating in the monthly mini link-up.  I admired several of her color combinations in the bags but said I just didn't see myself making miniature quilts (because, of course, what would I do with them?).  Janet may read this post and chuckle.

And then, when I saw Pam Buda's new sew-along for a miniature quilt she calls Dear Prudence I caved.   (Thank you for the sew-along, Pam.)  Her inspiration quilt had 18 tiny birds in the air blocks.  I fell in love with the colors of the birds on that little quilt.  I have a small collection of fabrics in the gold-to-copper-to-bronze-to-green-to-brown color range.  Pam use pinks and blues from her fabric line for her beautiful quilt.  My version uses the original colors as much as I was able to see and copy them.  Except I didn't have enough of any double pink.  I also didn't have the pattern.  My only clue to size was that the tiny birds, unfinished, were 1½" square.

My quilt top is together except for the two borders.  I still need to trim around the edges because I wasn't sure how big to make the side-setting and corner triangles.  Oversize is better, I thought.
birds in the air miniature quilt
I'll try to find fabric for the narrow inner border that has the coppery/green tones from the fabric in the blocks, perhaps a plaid.  I've already chosen the fabric for the outer border.  You can see it on the right in the photo below.
I think the pink is an unusual choice to go with the rest of the fabrics but because I was copying an old quilt I went with it. 

I forgot how dense little quilts can become.  The seams in the tiny half-square-triangle blocks almost cover the triangles on the back. 

Finishing this top (trimming edges and adding two borders), plus choosing backing, deciding whether to use batting/flannel between, and basting are my One Monthly Goal this month. 

I'm linking this post to
> November One Monthly Goal Linkup at Elm Street Quilts.
> Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
> Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
> Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
> Off the Wall Friday at Nina's blog
Thanks for hosting, ladies!

--Nancy.

16 comments:

  1. Sensational! You have made a delightful little quilt - and so much detail and intricate piecing. It's just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. Now that it's almost finished I'm thinking it could have been smaller. Ha!

      Delete
  2. Nancy, You have done an incredible job of recreating that adorable quilt. I had to laugh, but not for the reason you may have thought. You didn't have the pattern for this and yet have done so well. I DO have the pattern and made some major cutting errors. So, though I had cut out the entire quilt (or so I thought), the frustration of having to recut almost everything made me lose my enthusiasm for the project and after 6 blocks I couldn't bring myself to do more. I chose my 5 favorites of the six blocks and made a very small version of this--hardly looks like the same quilt, which is partly because I made a different colorway.
    Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. I'm surprised that you mis-cut but I'm sure your quilt will be adorable. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

      Delete
  3. Simply beautiful! Kudos for making these teeny tiny blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. Now that it's almost finished I'm actually wondering if the blocks should have/could have been smaller! Each block finishes at 3" and it's only the small blocks that are 1½".

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! Your usual knack for finding fabrics excels here. It's darling. Tiny quilts are such a fun uplifting change from the long slog of making a bed quilt.

    lizzzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy. I have some thoughts about the fabrics I used--now that the blocks are all sewn together. Little quilts can be fun unless they're really detailed and really small, and then they are just a frustration to me. But this one was, as you say, an uplifting change.

      Delete
  5. So cute! Good luck with your goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen Anne. I'm now hoping I might be able to begin quilting it, too, this month. We'll see.

      Delete
  6. It's beautiful! The double pink was used a lot during a certain period of the Civil War era to about 1880, and it makes a great contrast. Pinks and browns were often used together then and I love the combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I really like pinks and browns together, and I love the double pinks (for some quilts) but they're really hard to find locally which.

      Delete
  7. Wow! I tried my hand at these once several years ago -- well, mini blocks, really. It was a class through what was then Quilt University, called "Jane Was Nuts!" (referring to Jane Stickle (https://benningtonmuseum.org/portfolio-items/1863-jane-stickle-quilt-2/). I made 9 wee blocks and put them together as a table topper -- I still have it and use it! Maybe it's time to give minis another 'go'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Dear Jane blocks are incredibly challenging (just by looking at them, because I haven't tried to make any). Kudos to you, Margaret, for making 9 of them! Your table topper is probably delightful!

      Delete
  8. I see you didn't make the mistake I always do, which is I press the seams to the side, and you pressed them open. I recently hand quilted a little quilt with flannel as batting, made it hard to quilt. I just need to dig out the sewing machine and get the binding on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I press seams open except for a few circumstances, such as the points on geese, which have several layers of fabric overlapping and really don't want to fold over.
      I used flannel instead of batting in the last small quilt I made. I think the kind of flannel must make a difference. Mine was not difficult to quilt (but it's very bendable/foldable. Of course, I didn't want it stiff.
      It will be great to get the binding on your little quilt!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...