Monday, August 22, 2022

Little Cabins, Autumn Slips into Fall

I had leftover coral/salmon/peach/melon fabrics from the churn dash blocks I've been making.  Most were small pieces and many were narrow strips.  When I first thought of the churn dash blocks I deliberated about whether to use grey fabrics or a light fabric as the background.  I chose the nearly-white and I love it, but still, the grey and coral were in the back of my mind.  And then the leftover strips seemed perfect to try out those two colors together.  Here are 20 3" (finished) blocks.
Log Cabin blocks are fun to play with. They're akin to HSTs but with more interest.
The layout possibilities are almost endless, but with only 20 blocks, also limiting (and out of balance for some layouts).. 
With a 4 x 5 layout, this quiltlet will measure 12" x 15".   I believe those 1" centers are the smallest pieces of fabric I've ever sewn.   Even with short strips I think log cabin blocks are labor-intensive unless they're sewn as leaders/enders.  (Just playing around in the layout below.)
I'll sew the blocks together after I choose a layout.  I don't really want to make more--I don't have many small scraps left--but at this point, the only layout that really makes sense to me is the second one.  Is it called Fields and Furrows?  One thing I noticed with such small blocks is that there are equal amounts of fabric in the seams and in the top, which means the top is a double layer.  Maybe this one will become a tied quilt because I have no good ideas how to quilt through two layers of fabric plus batting/flannel plus backing fabric.  Big stitches on such a small quilt?

I have no intended purpose for this quiltlet other than to see the colors together.  Had the fabric scraps been large enough I may have made grey and coral churn dash blocks.

I found the first leaves of autumn on the ground this past week. 
Along about the middle of August, even if we have hot, humid weather, there's a day when I suddenly realize that summer's slipping into fall.  The quality of the air changes, the angle of the sunlight changes, and it just feels like fall will be here soon.  I love this time of year!

In my August 6 post I commented that I love rain- and thunderstorms, and I do, except when there's a leak in the roof.   We had a wonderful storm this past Saturday--wonderful until I walked into the bathroom and discovered that the counter was covered with water, then noticed the floor was wet, and then realized water was dripping along the side of the doorway.  It got worse and rain poured from the attic to the first floor and down to the basement.  What a mess.  The roof is still under warranty but because the damage was done by (likely) a raccoon, it's not covered.  There's a long section of valley that's been chewed or scratched away.  This is the third time we've had problems with raccoons.  Why do they love our house?  Why not one of the neighbors' houses?!  (Not that I'm wishing bad things for our neighbors!)  You know that saying, "When it rains it pours?"  Challenges have been pouring in and around our house and home all year.

On a happy note, we had chocolate croissants for breakfast this morning.  My daughter finished four 12-hour days last evening, has today off, and works two days in a row, tomorrow and Wednesday.  She suggested croissants for breakfast today and I readily agreed.  Yum!

I'm linking this post to
> Monday Marking at Love Laugh Quilt and
> Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Thank you for hosting, ladies.

I hope you have a good week this week--no illness, no house/home problems, no car problems, good progress on whatever you're working on, etc.

--Nancy.

14 comments:

  1. Oh mygosh--water problems are no fun!! Hope you can get it all fixrd up permanently and find some kind of racoon repellent--if there is such a thing!! I love how the pink and gray look--nice combo and that Fields and Furrows setting will look great...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They fixed the roof yesterday, Julierose, but last night before bed I realized that I might not have gotten all the water out of the house and, indeed, this morning as I was removing things from the closet to check, I realized that a lot of paper items were wet. We'll lose some of them, others are drying out now and I'll check them tomorrow. Ugh!

      The hole was in a valley in the roof and the roofer put a new kind of (supposedly) animal-proof material in the valley and replaced shingles. I hope everything's fine now!

      Thanks for your kind words about the quiltlet. I love the colors together, though nothing in my home has any grey in it, so it's not really a quilt I'll use, I don't suppose.

      Delete
  2. Pretty churn dash blocks in pretty layout options too. Oh dear to leaky problems. I'd not heard of racoons causing such problems. We have one around here and it gets into the compost bin sometimes...knows how to get the top off but hasn't come near the house to our knowledge. Hope it gets fixed soon and what a great treat for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had raccoons in the past, Jocelyn.  They do awful damage to a house when they really want to get in.  They tore off a soffit vent cover before this incident and before that they somehow managed to chew through another area to get into the crawl space.  I think they are some of the most adorable animals but I just wish they wouldn't consider our home their home.
      They fixed the roof yesterday.  We'll know how well when it rains again....

      Delete
  3. Oh no that racoon! Did you not hear it/ them? I love the log cabin project, such an unusual adventurous color way.

    If you did or do a sketchy journal like my silly pages, you could start with those first lovely leaves!
    They may be changing bec of heat and drought tho, not fall color change?

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't hear the raccoon this time, Lizzy, but I can't think of anything else that would have created the long hole in the valley of the roof.  The roofer said he saw raccoon scat so we took his word for it.
      I thought the coral might work with grey but I wasn't sure.  I like the two colors together but there is nothing in our home that is grey so it's not like this quiltlet will be used in any way.  I guess it's just a color study.  My daughter commented that grey is such a modern color which I guess is why we don't use it.
      The leaves may have fallen because of dry weather, though we've had rain recently.  They were the only ones anywhere on the property where we found them.  So maybe not the first autumn leaves....
      Oh, I don't think  your sketchbook journal drawings are silly.  I think they're wonderful. 

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about layouts, Sharon, and for visiting and leaving a comment, too. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  5. Good for you to tackle the scraps right away! The last setting is the most intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nann. This is the first time I've used scraps immediately and I think it's something I might try to do after finishing quilts.

      Yes, that last setting is intriguing. As it was, I thought it needed some adjustments but I wasn't sure what.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful little log cabin blocks! What an unexpected color combo, but I like it a lot! Coral and Charcoal--and with so many possibilities for a layout.
    Oh, very sad about the water issues. The chocolate croissants can't fix it, but I'll bet they sure don't hurt! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet.  I generally think grey goes with almost all the colors, if it's the right tone and shade/tint.  I'm please with these colors together though I'll never make a large quilt with them.  Grey just isn't one of "my" colors, generally.  But who knows, maybe sometime I will.The croissants were delicious and they fixed the roof yesterday.  Only a rainy day will tell if it's really fixed.  (And I hope it is!)

      Delete
  7. Gray can be such a great color when paired with the right shades. Your log cabin blocks and variations look great. I keep thinking I'm going to play around with some fabric and make some small log cabin blocks. I never seem to do it though. I'm always in too big a hurry to just play. I'm sorry about the racoon damage. That must be so frustrating. There's a French bakery about a 1/2 hour away that sells Chocolate Croissants for about $5 each. I've been tempted but I have yet to buy one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin.  I hadn't really made anything with grey before, but I think you're right that it works with lots of other colors. 

      I think log cabin blocks are really time-consuming, even the little ones, but for sure the big ones, and yet it's a pattern I really like.  But, playing with fabric is always fun.
      The roof damage was frustrating but it's repaired now, though only rain will tell for sure if the repair is good.  Sadly, I discovered that I hadn't found all the water in the house on Saturday or Monday.  I pulled out more of the stuff stored in the closet and found papers that were wet where they'd been on the floor.  They're drying now and then I'll figure out if I can save any of them.  Thank goodness no family history papers!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...