Friday, September 2, 2022

Links to Enjoy #2

This is a round up of posts (and two items that are not posts) that caught my attention and interest over the past month.  I hope you find something to enjoy.

The Goodnight Quilt by Mary Jane Hannaford.  Michele of Pennsylvania Piecemaker wrote a beautiful post about this quilt 
a month ago.  (Thank you, Michele.)  I was fascinated by the appliqued images of people and animals and also by the poem embroidered on the quilt.  I followed the link Michele included in her post and was delighted to see more photos and learn about the quilter who made it.  These kinds of quilts are so interesting to me because of the detail, the individuality of them, and the near-primitive style.  They seem almost autobiographical.

Lace on very large scale murals is both beautiful and amazing.

One of the Ninety and Nine.  This song was written by Michael McLean after he'd had read the Parable of the Lost Sheep in Luke 15: 4-7.  This is especially apropos if you feel left out or unnoticed because you're not the one the Savior went to find.  If you want the story behind the song, listen from the beginning of the video, here.




Why not tock-tick instead of tick-tock?  And about the order of adjectives.  There's not a link for this image below, just the image.  I love learning about words, word origins, idioms, and other interesting things about words and language.  I thought this article was too fun.  Here's the link to an explanation for this phenomenon about the order of adjectives, called the rule of ablaut reduplication.
When ice cream could kill you!  Gosh, I'm glad we can buy ice cream in cartons and that there are government regulations.

Quilt Show Photos at Quilt Inspiration from the Springville Museum of Art here, here, here, here, and here.  There were some amazing quilts there.  I was especially taken with the first post in the last link.  Beautiful!

Some Birds Changed Their Tune during the pandemic.  What would a post highlighting links to enjoy be without a nature post?  Be sure to listen to the two 30 second audio clips.  

I hope you find at least one post to enjoy!

--Nancy.

8 comments:

  1. WOW that Hannaford quilt is totally amazing--a life story in fabric--the figures are so evocative--and I LOVE the idea of a poem on the quilt...
    so personal...thanks so much for sharing this Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Julie. I'm glad you enjoyed the quilt.

      Delete
  2. Isn't that Hannaford quilt wonderful...so many items of interest included. It reminded me of a family named Hansford that were our next door neighbours in a tiny outport I taught in. Wonderful folks. I had read that article about birds changing up their tune during the pandemic. Birds will sing earlier to beat the traffic sounds I've read. They are very attuned to our activities. I grew up with the ninety and nine story...very interesting. Thanks for all of this Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Jocelyn. The Hannaford quilt is so fascinating to me. I wish I could see it in person.

      As I was including that post about the birds I thought of you and wondered if you would already know something about birds and their songs as relating to human activity.

      Delete
  3. Instead of commenting on the wonderful primitive quilt, I will thank you for the links to the additional articles and tidbits you found interesting. I especially enjoyed the one on linguistics - I,A,O combinations. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed some of the posts, Anonymous. They are ones I particularly enjoyed and wanted to remember and/or share.

      Delete
  4. I got sidetracked by that quilt, now have done a few more reads. I loved the grammar article, so interesting. Hip hop, nit-pick, lol. Will read about the birdsongs next...Fun blog feature, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that quilt's pretty interesting, isn't it?  I wish the photos would enlarge at the website so I could see more detail, but I'm happy to see what they gave us.  I'd love to make that kind of a quilt, though not exactly the same.
      I mostly post the links because I want to be able to find them again later.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...