Friday, October 7, 2022

October One Monthly Goal: Play

I wonder about the wisdom of setting a goal for October.  We're only seven days in and it feels like a hard month already.  But I know I'll accomplish more if I do set a goal, so I've chosen what I think will be a simple one:  to play.

I'll consider border options (to add one or not, to add one with applique, or one without applique).
Burgoyne Surrounded in progress
If I decide to applique the border, I'll play with options for colors, fabrics, applique patterns, applique placement, etc.  Below are possible colors for the leaves.  I think shades of brown but maybe green/brown fabrics, too.  What is that color called, anyway?
What color are oak leaves in autumn, anyway? I guess it depends on the species of tree.  So many that I see around here are in the golden to medium brown range.  But do I need the colors to be exact?  Perhaps artistic license will come into play.
I'll also consider size of the applique pieces so they don't overwhelm the pieced part of the quilt.

Really, I'll just consider all the options.  I hope by the end of the month I'll have made a decision but I'm not going to create that pressure for myself this month.  I'll just consider options and play.

This is the inspiration quilt.   The original is red and white.  I don't think I want an oak vine, since oaks don't vine.  Maybe oak branches?
I'm linking this post to to October One Monthly Goal at Elm Street Quilts.  Thanks so much for hosting, Patty.

I'm also linking this post to
> Finished (or not) Friday at Alycia Quilts
> Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
> Off the Wall Friday at Creations by Nina Marie
> Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework
Thank you ladies for hosting.

--Nancy.

20 comments:

  1. That top looks so lovely so far. Aren't those grapes on the vines in that border?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris.  Yes, the original quilt has grape vines and grapes.  I think I'll probably go with oak leaves and acorns.  I have an aversion to making and appliqueing 12 dozen tiny grapes.  Haha.

      Delete
  2. Play should be the goal every month. :) There is something particularly playful about October as the leaves fall and costumes are donned. An acorn and oak leaf vine border is the perfect complement to the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I agree, Gwyned. Play is so important. I do it often when I'm making decisions about a quilt but there are times when a goal has to be hand quilting or putting on a binding--neither such playful things to do.

      Delete
  3. I think oak leaves will look beautiful surrounding this Burgoyne quilt--it is surrounded, right? ;))). Nice plan, and I really like those autumnal colors you have laid out for them..Have fun playing to find what you love best. hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose. I did not realize there were so many varieties of oaks with so many different autumn color ranges. Lots of play!

      Delete
  4. An aunt who lived in the Pennsylvania Appalachian mountains always referred to the colors of the late fall oaks as golden and bronzes. Those shades ring true in our area especially when the sun shines on the leaves as they're blown by the wind. You've found some very pretty fall colors for your leaves and acorns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I think about the oaks in our area and from my childhood, I think your aunt's color names are accurate, Pat, and those are colors I love. I didn't realize, though, how many different kinds of oaks there are, each species with its own color range. Wow! Lots of color options.

      Delete
  5. We have a plant here that we call Scrub Oak (AKA Gambol Oak) and it has rosy red fall folliage. Here's a picture;
    https://fineartamerica.com/featured/1-brilliant-fall-foliage-near-midway-howie-garber.html
    You're stack of autumn colored fabric has me itching to stitch.
    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sending the link to the photo, Robin. I didn't realize there was such a huge variety of oak species and now that I've seen the Scrub Oak, I love the colors. They are beautiful.

      Delete
  6. [4th try] Time spent playing and planning is great! Love acorn and leaf border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Lizzy, I'm so sorry Blogger was acting up when you tried to leave a comment.  It's so frustrating for the reader and disappointing to the blog owner to read an abbreviated comment.

      Delete
  7. Your top is so lovely so far!! and the inspiration is wonderful too. Have fun playing!! The ideas will come to yoU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alycia, not only for the compliment but also for the vote of confidence!

      Delete
  8. Play is the best goal of all! Love that quilt top. I think your oak leaf and acorn border will be a lovely finishing touch. And since I just live a couple of hours from Robin, I will echo the red scrub oak as an idea--they can also be orange in color. Now you have lots of options! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet.  I should probably play more than I do but after I'm finished playing I have to actually stitch what I was playing with, and then quilt, and then bind.  I guess I play first.I knew nothing about scrub oak trees until Robin mentioned them.  They are beautiful and their leaves (and colors) may be the ones I use on this quilt. 

      Delete
  9. It's already beautiful, and a border could be nice, or without could be equally nice. Tennessee tradition is no borders on quilts. =) Sometimes that's my excuse for not doing one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Susan. I've thought about finishing it without a border but it's too small as it is. I would have to make more blocks for it to be large enough. I'm still playing and trying to imagine....

      Delete
  10. That's a beautiful palette of fabric. Nice project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sharon.  It started out much scrappier than it ended up, with the mostly-autumn colors.  After a block or two I realized there needed to be some constant within each block.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...