Saturday, October 15, 2022

Zinnias in Little Plaid Baskets

appliqued plaid baskets with zinnias quilt blocks
When I saw this as a thumbnail in my photo program I thought, Oh, cheerful.  I think that's because of the yellow flowers.  These are unfinished, in-progress blocks.  The baskets need their flowers, the flowers need their stems, and the stems need their leaves.  Nothing has been stitched except the baskets.  Each basket block measures 10" x 12".

Before appliqueing these, I'll have to decide whether the baskets need two flowers or three, or whether some baskets will have two and some have three.

My idea for these baskets is to place them along the sides and bottom of a group of pieced blocks (that will more or less cover the center of the bed).  When the quilt is on a bed the baskets will be upright as they hang over the sides.  I'm thinking seven baskets along the sides and five across the bottom for a quilt that will measure approximately 74" x 82".  Since this is still in progress and the final layout is still uncertain, anything might happen.  Those center blocks? Maybe Old Italian blocks, or nine-patch blocks, economy, square-in-square, or ...?  I'll pull out some block pattern books and see what I think.  Colors for those center blocks?  I'm not sure yet. 

These are a few more zinnias. 
I bought this beautiful, soft, comfortable sheet some time ago at the second hand store.   From the photo you cannot tell that the color is pale peach and would work perfectly for the churn dash blocks.
But because the fabric is a very fine twill, I'm uncertain about using it as a back.  What do you think?  How might it quilt?  How durable might it be?  My guess is it's probably a bad idea but I thought maybe someone who reads this post might know. Thanks if you have a thought about it.

The last time I wrote about these baskets, in July, we'd had a fire in our stove.  This time, when my daughter got up for work on Monday morning she found that one of her cats had died.  Such sorrow.  And three days later we found a major plumbing leak in our basement.  Challenges have accompanied us through this year, one after the other.  I'm not sure what to think but I do ask myself what I need to learn. 

We have two ash trees in our yard.  This one stands in our front yard, its branches extending nearly as wide as our house.
ash tree in autumn with golden leaves
ash tree in autumn with orange-golden leaves
When the sun is shining through the autumn branches it's dazzling.  The colors of autumn ash leaves can extend from golds to oranges to reds to burgundies, sometimes on the same tree at the same time; sometimes depending on the sun's rays from morning to afternoon; and sometimes from the beginning of fall to later in the fall. 
burgundy ash tree leaves
We still have lots of green which makes the bright trees stand out all the more.  Gorgeous autumn color!   I hope you're enjoying this season of beauty.

I'm linking this post to
> Finished (or not) Friday at Alycia Quilts
> Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
> Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.

21 comments:

  1. I love your basket blocks Nancy, they're so pretty. I don't have any good information to offer on the backing fabric, hopefully someone will be able to help you out.
    I'm sorry this year has been so trying for you. Maybe the universe is done putting obstacles in your path now and everything will be smooth sailing for a while. It's hard not letting life get you down when things start piling up like that.
    I hope you have a good weekene
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tazzie, for both your kind comment about the baskets and encouraging words about trials. I'm hoping for smooth sailing for a while, too!

      Delete
  2. challenges visit each of us in different ways...sometimes just persevering is what's required...very nice baskets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grace. Your words are a great reminder to me that persevering IS doing something. Otherwise, we'd be giving up, I guess.

      Delete
  3. Adorable little baskets!! I like the idea of different numbers of flowers in each one. They will be lovely surrounding the quilt top. sorry about your woe-ful happenings...life is always throwing curves at us it seems. Just
    hang in there--hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Julierose.  When I finish the zinnias I'll lay out the blocks but with you, I think different numbers of flowers per basket will be best.  
      I know everyone has challenges but it's just occurred to me that maybe older persons have a few more....  But maybe not. 

      Delete
  4. I so love the zinnia baskets. So adorable and happy.

    I hope the center is not green.

    The pale peach sheet looks hopeful but since you hand quilt I think you will only know by making a trial swatch and experimenting. If the sheet is not big enough to trim a swatch you can use a 6" x 6" corner area to layer up then pick it out and reuse. Make a random top block w seams and use the batting you will use on Churn Dashes. Twill seems more hopeful than dense percale.

    Sorry for ongoing woes, it has been that sort of year here too.

    Your trees are glorious!

    love lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, LIzzy.  I love these baskets, too.  I just hope I can come up with a center that will work well with them or, if not a center, some other way to enhance them.  If I do blocks in the center, there may be some green but I doubt the blocks would be all green.  (You can't imagine how often I think of you and your aversion to green when I'm deciding colors, Lizzy.)
      Ongoing woes....  It's been a hard year around here and I'm thinking of ongoing woes as a part of my life.  Sometimes I look around me and wonder what will break or die or have problems next. 
      The trees are even more beautiful in real life than in photos.  Thank goodness for autumns!

      Delete
  5. I love those baskets! I think they would be most interesting with varying numbers of the zinnias, maybe even leave one or two without any flowers. As for the used sheet I'd be a bit leery about using it, that twill weave looks very much like some sheets we had that not only didn't wear well but were also big lint magnets. Your autumn colors are glorious, it's always a joyful season. I think a lot of folks have been put through the wringer this year, sorry you've been going through it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I agree about varying the numbers of flowers in the baskets, and probably heights of flowers, too. I have a few more zinnias to finish sewing and two more baskets to make, and then I can lay them all out and decide.
      The sheet is one I bought second-hand but not with the intention of using it for a quilt but maybe on a bed. I just rediscovered it a few weeks ago and thought maybe it would work. The reason I included it in the post is because you mentioned the challenges of twill (that is, how it's woven) when I use a piece to try out a wool/cotton batting. But now you've brought up another two considerations that I hadn't thought about and those are wear and lint. The sheet has been washed a few times (and has a very soft hand) and I haven't noticed a problem with lint but washing a quilt would be different. I appreciate your thoughts on this, Pat.
      Despite challenges and woes, I'm so grateful for autumn. Its beauty takes some of the sting out of the difficulties.

      Delete
  6. Bah, the computer ate my comment! I like the basket blocks, the 2 and 3 flowers idea, and the simple center traditional block surrounded by the baskets to dress it up. I keep seeing it in plaids!

    As for the sheet, I backed a quilt with a new 100% cotton one around 46 years ago, and it's held up well. Factors would be how old this sheet is, how worn. My quilt was tied for my 7 year old. Quilting might be hard or not. Why not take a little area and try some you can pull out later, if you don't have any extra fabric in the sheet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry about comment-eating computers, Susan.  I think it might be Blogger/Google more than the computer.  You're not the first one in the past seven days to have had that happen.
      This quilt I've been thinking of using is very easy on a needle--no problems there.  It has a really soft hand, smooth and cozy, but the concern was using twill instead of even-weave.  And then another commenter suggested it might collect lint.  And now to look at whether it's worn.  I have several more things to consider!  I'm so glad to hear of the 45-year run with a sheet.  If I find a new one that lets a needle pass easily, I won't hesitate to use it.

      Delete
  7. Hi Nancy, I love your baskets, no surprise, and the plaids are adorable. I can imagine your plan for them to hang on the sides and bottom of your bed which would be wonderful. I would try hand stitching on that material first just to make sure you can easily stitch it. I have had a lot of loss in my life and there are no answers as to why some of us have this happen. I haven't gotten over some of the things but I got through it and it was just one step in front of the other, one day at a time.
    Meanwhile yes our trees are glorious too and I'm so grateful for another autumn to enjoy them. And hoping there isn't a lot of wind to take the leaves too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments and thoughts, Jocelyn.  The sheet is very easy to stitch through so my major concern was whether the twill would hold the stitches well enough (but other commenters mentioned a few other things I should be concerned about, too).  I have a few more tests to try before deciding to use this sheet.
      I hope your autumn leaves are staying on the trees.  We still see a lot of green trees but the ones that have turn are glorious.  I, too, am grateful to be here to enjoy them.

      Delete
  8. The baskets are wonderful! I agree with other commenters who have suggested trying quilting a small area before making a commitment. I will say, however, that, as a dedicated hand quilter myself, I would be very very reluctant to hand quilt a large piece in which the needle doesn’t go through easily because it can be very hard physically on the hands! Also consider using a very thin batting and a stronger needle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gladi. This particular sheet is so easy to pull a needle through it's almost like going through warm butter. After buying several shirts at the thrift store that I could barely bet a needle through I began carrying one with me to test fabric before I buy it. That's helped a lot.
      Several other readers left comments with other considerations so I'm leaning against using this sheet.
      I appreciate your taking the time to share your experiences!

      Delete
  9. Oooh! I'm partial to basket blocks -- and zinnias are our town's official flower! You've given me an idea........

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. I use sheets as backings frequently. I'm taken aback by the number of people who say no, no, never when it comes to using sheets. Ultra-high-density modern sheets, no. But all-cotton thrift-shop sheets, yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, Nann. I hope you'll share your idea, especially if it's with zinnias.

      I've not hand quilted with a sheet as backing yet but I would not hesitate if the sheet were all cotton, lightly used, and I could get my quilting needle in and out easily. (I take a needle with me to the thrift store to test fabrics before buying.) The other considerations seemed to be how worn the quilt is and whether it might attract lint. My concern is whether it will hold up well to long use and to quilting stitches because it's twill.

      Delete
  11. Those baskets are so cute!! and I love the idea of them being upright around the bed - what a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alycia. I hope my idea works--I can never tell until I see it.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...