Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Ready to Quilt Linda Brannock's Flowers

After I finished pin-basting this quilt yesterday I thought I was almost ready to begin quilting.  When I looked at the quilt sandwich this morning I realized that the top was a little loose against the backing (most obvious in that upper left block), so I unpinned it, smoothed it, and re-pinned.  Now I'm almost ready to quilt.
Linda Brannock's Flowers quilt
The only thing left before I begin is to decide a quilting pattern.  I plan to outline the shapes.  But how to quilt the rest?   I'm not keen on echo quilting so maybe diagonals in two directions?  That's always a straight-forward and simple option, since I can use tape to mark the quilting lines.  Or, I could quilt Baptist Fans, but I don't think that's the best option for this quilt.  Or . . . ?
I found this Pam Buda print for backing.  I thought it could work for either this quilt or Time Flies.  In real life it's darker than in the photo.  I decided to use it for this bright, colorful quilt and find a more lively print for the back of Time Flies since it's a plainer quilt.

There are a lot of quirky blocks in this quilt but I think these baskets turned out the quirkiest.  Linda Brannock's pattern was probably for paper-pieced blocks but I didn't realize it.  I used turned-edge applique to stitch them.  Together they are my favorite block in the quilt.
baskets from Linda Brannock's Flowers quilt patternI love autumn!  Ours continues to be beautiful even thought our weather has turned cold--coat, hat, mittens, and scarf weather--with high winds.  Then the temperatures are predicted back up to the low 70s in a few days.  I have a lavender in a pot that I need to get ready for winter and grass seed to scatter over the area the plumbers had to dig up.  I hope autumn stays around for a while longer before cold weather comes to stay.

I'm linking this post to
> Midweek Makers at QuiltFabrication
> Finished (or not) Friday at Alycia Quilts
> Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
> Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

I hope all is well in your world.
--Nancy.

10 comments:

  1. I love this quilt and great backing choice. The three baskets are so adorable. You could add your initials and the date embroidered in that small block [tho it might detract from the cuteness]. Do you sign your quilts?

    You ll know best what pattern to quilt. I marked a small quilt for Fans the other day and decided straight and tape was much more in keeping with its simplicity.

    I am having Fall weather too! Very unusual. I think it's nice tho too windy for deck time sewing this week, Mo is nt pleased,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for all your kind words about this quilt, fabric, and blocks, Lizzy. I've never signed quilts or put labels on. I suppose it's something I should think about doing or do....
      I've started the first block with an outline around the applique and will probably do diagonal lines on the backgrounds. I always think Fans work great on any quilt but then along comes a quilt that I know won't benefit from fans. Diagonals are a great, simple quilting pattern, too, and sometimes are just perfect. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've been quilting.
      I'm glad you're getting fall weather since it seems that you so often don't. Poor Mo, missing his sewing time.

      Delete
  2. It is exciting to see you get this to the point where you can start quilting. You have worked hard on this quilt and it has really turned out well. I think the grid quilting "behind" the outline quilted shapes is a nice way to go. But whatever you do, I know you will make a great choice. You are always so careful with your decisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. I thought the only decision was how to quilt it but then realized I needed to decide on thread color, too. Ha! I also forgot how quickly one loses quilting callouses and long it takes to build them up again. The quilting is going slowly just now.

      Delete
    2. If truth be told, Robin, I'd have to say I'm a little jealous that you're making those beautiful applique blocks just now. You'll get to yours one of these days.
      The quilting is going slowly because my callouses were gone. It will take a while to build them again.
      How's your weather?

      Delete
  3. I'm jealous that you are getting to quilt this quilt. It is so pretty. I won't be able to get to mine for a while so I'll enjoy watching you quilt this. It is because of you that I made mine. The backing is a great choice. Our cooler weather isn't coming till this weekend. It's supposed to snow in the mountains and rain in the valleys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you highlighted that little trio, they are lovely. And how nice to have this one to this stage now ready for some quilting lines. I dither about too much when making those decisions. Meanwhile, no snow here though some much further south of us which makes no sense. I'm enjoying autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn. I'm not sure why I like those baskets but I think it may be their quirkiness.
      I was thinking that dithering may be one of the things I do best. In fact, I have a post in progress with that idea....
      It's strange to have snow further south, isn't it, when we think of the northern temperatures being colder. Autumn is a great season to enjoy!

      Delete
  5. This is so pretty!!!! I will be excited to see how you do choose to quilt it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia. I'm hoping I made a good choice for the quilting!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...