Sunday, March 12, 2023

Slowly Quilting Flowers

If I slow stitch today, it will probably be hand quilting this Tulips block and the surrounding section of border on Linda Brannock's Flowers quilt.
I think the quilt is going so slowly because I'm quilting lines an inch apart.  What was I thinking?  I think you can see the quilting in the photo, below.  The background, sashing, and borders have parallel lines; the flowers, leaves, and pots are outlined with some echo stitching inside.
I've quilted six blocks:  on the top row, the two on the right; all three on the row below that; and the pineapple.  And about a third of the border is quilted.  Still to do are the tulips, top left; the little baskets, below center on the left; the three blocks across the bottom:  Cacti, Stocks, and Marigolds & Blueberries.
Don't bother enlarging the photos to see details.  My phone's camera doesn't do very well sometimes and my poor, dear, old Canon PowerShot A560 is having some problems and needs to go to a repair shop.  I think--and hope!-- it just needs an adjustment to the settings.

On Sunday I'll link this post to Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Kathy.

--Nancy.

12 comments:

  1. But those close quilting lines are so beautiful, Nancy;))) I think this quilt is simply gorgeous...love those blocks...nice work in progress
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your generous comments about this quilt, Julierose. It was fun to make the top and I'll be glad to get it quilted.

      Delete
  2. This is just such a fabulous quilt and your quilting adds so much beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beauty. I think I would have quilted it the same way. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Melisa. I usually use simple quilting patterns and love Baptist Fans, but they just didn't seem right for this quilt. I'm hoping the puffy batting won't detract from the flowers when it's finished.

      Delete
  4. Oh, those quilting lines might be taking ages to stitch but they look lovely. Being so close together gives the quilt such beautiful texture and is so visually pleasing to the eyes. This quilt is going to be a work of art when finished with all the amazing applique; and of course your hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. I hope you are right and that the quilting doesn't detract from the flowers.

      Delete
  5. I have always liked that quilt, but never done any of the blocks. Yours looks wonderful, though. The middle block did enlarge nicely so I could see some details of your 1" apart rows. It looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. It's such a quirky quilt, isn't it? Well, quirky flowers, anyway. So glad at least one of the blocks enlarged well. I still haven't taken my camera in for a check-up, so clarity in details isn't its strong point just now.

      Delete
  6. This hand quilting project is coming along great. I just wish it didn't take so much time to see progress. But, as I was explaining to my DIL this morning, sometimes you just have to do the hard part to make the quilt special. Some quilt are fine with a knotted piece of yarn but others deserve more attention in the quilting process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin.  Oh, I agree about how much time it takes to quilt and see progress.  Sometimes I wish it went quickly, or that there was a quicker way to finish a quilt.  Then I remind myself that there is--I could have it done by machine--and decide I'm pleased to be able to take the slow route to a finish by hand quilting.I'm reconsidering tied quilts.  And big stitching on quilts, all for the sake of speed.  I have too many tops in the que for quilting!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...