Friday, June 2, 2023

A BowTies Finish Plus Two More for Hands2Help 2023

BowTies is a top.  Hooray!  I finished it on Wednesday, which accomplished my hope that it would be done by the end of May.
Bow Tie quilt
This photo shows the colors closest to real-life colors.  My camera and I had trouble capturing accurate colors.  I didn't try it outside because the sun would have washed out the colors.  For the past week or so we've had 100% sun with no clouds.

One thing I realized when making this quilt is that plaids do much better (in my opinion) when two pieces are not touching in a block.  I like it when lines align but it's nearly impossible to align plaids when they're side-by-side in a block like this.

Each bow tie finishes at 6".  Four together, placed with lights touching, creates a circular shape.  Bow ties are such forgiving blocks when it comes to the corner triangles being exactly the same.  And the only seams that have to meet are where four light or dark corners meet.
Bow Tie quilt
I succeeded in my goal of having four different light fabrics touch where the blocks meet.  There are a few dark "circles" but for the most part, the bow ties were randomly placed.

These three quilt tops, below, are the ones going to Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) to become comforter quilts.
The center one, a double Irish Chain, is at least 10 years old, made before I began blogging.  It is larger than the other two and will fit a double bed.  It has such an array of fabrics and colors.  I think of these scrappy, multi-fabric quilts as compendium quilts--a concise collection of the fabrics I had on hand at the time I made the quilt. 

It has been fun to create something that will become useful, use fabrics I had on hand for good, and not feel possessive about the finishes.  I'll tote these to the not-too-far-distant MCC shop later this month. 

I'm linking this post to
> Hands2Help Link-up at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
> Finished (or not) Friday at Alycia Quilts
> Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework
> Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
> TGIFF at anjaquilts
> Off the Wall Friday at Nina's Creations
Thank you for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.

16 comments:

  1. Your final paragraph perfectly describes the approach and return making charity quilts gives so many of us! This may not create world peace, but we can make someone’s life a bit better! Thank you both for doing this work and so eloquently describing the pleasure it gives the quilter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that sweet comment, Anonymous (whoever you are).

      Delete
  2. Love the bow ties and the secondary pattern they create. Also enjoy your comments...I so often don't notice which fabric is next to which. I need to slow down at the machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn. I'm not so sure you need to slow down at the machine. I think your quilts turn out great!

      Delete
  3. I liked your comment about not feeling possessive about some of your quilts. That's the truth. Some quilts I can't bear to give away and if I do, I try to subtly keep track that the family member is taking good care of it. And then there are two quilts in my closet that I don't especially care about but because they were machine quilted and cost extra, I haven't given them away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting which quilts become important to us and for what reasons, isn't it, Robin?  After so much time and effort--and in some cases expense--to make a quilt top and then to hand quilt it, I think it's a natural tendency to take good care of it if we keep it and to want/expect others to do the same if we give it away. 

      Delete
  4. Three beautiful quilts that will bless some people in need. And that's why we quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat.  I began making quilts because of a service project at church.  I made 3 or 4 tops in maybe 2003, and then kept going, except I wasn't necessarily making them to donate anywhere.  Now that I have plenty of quilts (maybe 6 or 8 or 10 here at home) and no one's really interested in using them, AND I have all this fabric, AND I have the time, it seems like it's a good time to begin making some quilts to donate.  Blessing others is a great reason to make quilts!

      Delete
  5. Lovely red bow ties. It is such a neat quilt top, not busy but still very interesting. All the quilt tops are marvelous and I'm sure will be so appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia. The fabrics lean toward dark brick red and when in a stack they seemed similar in color. They don't work as well together as I hope simply because some are lighter and others darker, but I'm happy with the fact that the quilt isn't busy, as you say. I was thinking warm-looking when I chose them.

      Delete
  6. The bow tie quilt is beautiful, but what truly captured my heart was your decade old Irish Chain in a riot of colors. Perhaps it is because it has been raining all day. I craved sunshine and color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gwyned. That Irish Chain is definitely a riot of colors. I hope you've had sunshine or will have it soon. I love rainy days but it's hard if there are many in succession without a day of sunshine.

      Delete
  7. That Irish Chain is absolutely gorgeous. I can't imagine giving it away. I hope the tops are finished and loved, your quilts are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lizzy.  That Irish Chain was a really early quilt before I knew much about quilting.  One of the reasons I don't like it much is because the seams are pressed to the side.  I hope it will warm someone and bring a little joy, maybe. 

      Delete
  8. That bow tie is just such a cool quilt - love all the plaids in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia.  I like it enough that I may make another....

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...