Friday, August 11, 2023

Links to Enjoy #11

Here are another few links that I've found interesting over the past weeks.  Maybe you will enjoy one or two of them, too.

Shadows fascinate me so, of course, this post with paintings of bright buildings with shadows by Sergiu Ciochină attracted my attention.  I admire how artists' vision allows them to see the colors of shadows.  "Blue Shadows #20" is amazing because there are not only shadows but also reflections.

I love this painting by Monet called "The Magpie" and use it as my desktop background in winter so I see it for several months of the year.  But it took me a while to recognize that the shadow in front of the fence was shades of lavender.
Ukranian folk artist Maria Prymachenko created some beautiful, bright paintings.  The word I would use to describe many of these is exuberant.  I love the borders with flowers and especially the flowers in the last photo.  Her paintings were almost destroyed in a fire after one of Russia's attacks on Ukraine. 

If I were going to make illustrated travel journals, I would love them to look like these, by José Naranja.  They include all the best of travel:  written descriptions, maps, illustrations, postage stamps, and other ephemera.  You can see more of his journals here and here, and his blog is here..

I'm always interested in reading ways to organize my fabric scraps.  I haven't yet found a system that works but there are some ideas in Taryn's post, Top Tips for Organizing Fabric for Scrap Quilting, that I might try.  Nor to mention the beautiful photographs in the post.

Who knew there were three twilights?  Not me.  So I found this post interesting telling about civil, nautical, and astronomical twilight, which happen at both sunrise and sunset.  This post at AstroBackyard offers even more info and some great photos.  (Illustration below courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.)
undefined

I appreciated Ann Wood's thoughts on momentum and working through the doldrums.  (And I am in awe of her ship.)  I'm currently in the doldrums and trying to find momentum.  You? 

Enjoy!
--Nancy.

8 comments:

  1. Fascinating places to go. Now I'm going to watch for the phases of twilight. You live where it's more flat so there is probably more time involved. Here once the sun goes behind the mountains, it's over in a flash. (Or, at least that's the way it feels). Those journals were so terrific. I could never do anything like that. Such a talent. The lavender snow painting is very nice and quite soothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is flat here, Robin, but there are also lots of trees, which can make watching a sunrise or sunset a challenge.  I think being at the ocean would be the best place to see the three twilights.  I can imagine the mountains ending sunset quickly.  When we drive through the Appalachians I notice how quickly and almost immediately sunset happens.

      Delete
  2. That is a gorgeous painting isn' it, the light is so beautiful. I enjoyed that link to scrap saving so much Nancy. I have a big mess usually and do need to take it more seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think "The Magpie" is my favorite Monet painting, Jocelyn. Maybe it's because I love winter.
      So glad you enjoyed the scrap saving post.

      Delete
  3. I love the Ukrainian folk art and am so glad people were able to rescue it from the fire. They sound like a very positive, hopeful family, and I hope their vision for the new museum and art community comes to pass. So many interesting things you find, as always. I was in Doldrumsville earlier in the week, but am feeling better now, so that fades away. Usually, it's related to how I feel physically!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that how we feel physically can affect our emotions and how we feel physically, Susan.  I'm often tired and I think that makes a difference, too.  I hope you're having a good week this week!
      It was interesting to read about the Ukrainian folk artist.  With the war going on there I imagine it could talk a while for the museum to come to pass.

      Delete
  4. Fascinating posts to ex[lore, thanks! I learned about the twilights years ago when my kids were small. I told them to come home ''when it got dark'', and their idea of dark didn't mesh w mine. We studied all about the twilights, esp noticeable here on the Atlantic shore, looking at the ocean without buildings or trees.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lizzy. I think the shore, with its unimpeded horizon, would be the ideal place to observe the twilights. What a great way to teach your children about "dark."

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...