Saturday, August 5, 2023

Next in the Que for Quilting: Everyday Patchwork

Don't quilters always have ques?  The quilts we want to make.  The quilts in progress to be finished.  The tops to be quilted, the tops to be bound....  We always have some quilt in the works at one stage or another.  Maybe not you, but I do!

Now that I'm sewing the binding on Flowers, it's time to get another top ready to quilt.  Since I have backing for my version of Cheri Payne's Everyday Patchwork, I'm getting that ready to layer and baste.
Cheri Payne's Everyday Patchwork
This is a bright, busy quilt.  I especially notice this when I contrast it with Flowers, which has large blocks with plain backgrounds.  Both are wonderful, just different.

I need to wash the backing fabric, which you can see at the bottom of the quilt in the photo above, then cut and sew it, press, and tape to the floor.  I like printed fabric for the back of a quilt but because this front is so busy, I thought a solid would be fine (especially because it was on sale at a really great price.)  The color is not exact to any that are in the top but close enough to work on the back.

I also need to cut out the fabric behind the appliques.  That's always stressful and requires great care so I don't cut into the fabric on the front.  Yikes!  I've done it before but not on a finished top.
This applique technique is not how I usually stitch, but is overhand stitching through the turned edges of the applique pieces.   (Sorry there's no photo of the front.)  I saw that Cheri stitched hers this way.  I don't know how well it will hold up to regular use including washing and drying.  I may end up having to restitch the appliques.  But I like the look of it for a more primitive quilt so decided it was worth a try.

My One Monthly Goal is to get this quilt layered and basted.  I'll be using Hobbs 80/20 cotton/poly batting for the first time.  So many others use and like it.  I hope I will, too.  That shouldn't take too long so I should include beginning to quilt as part of the goal.  I don't have a guess how to quilt it.  (Sometimes I don't know until the quilt is in the hoop and my needle is threaded, but I would rather make a decision before then.)  My go-to is often free-hand Baptist Fans but I'm not sure what fans might do for this quilt.  Diagonal lines?  Straight lines?  A different pattern for each block?  Ideas, anyone?

I'm linking this post to August One Monthly Goal Link-up at Elm Street Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Patty and Anne-Marie.

On the AireGirl front
We finally chose the name Nona, pronounced with a long o.  I was concerned it might be confusing to her if I use "No" as a command, but so far there hasn't been a problem, maybe because there are very few times that I have to tell her "no."

She's still not a fan of the camera.  When she's sitting near me and I call her name, she looks, but when she sees the camera she looks away.
If I call her again, she looks even further away.  Any other little thing is so very interesting when someone has a camera pointed in her direction.
On the other hand, if she's investigating somewhere and I call her name, she comes racing.  Dear girl.
The weather has been hot and humid--too hot for paws on pavement, so few walks for Nona till the weather's cooler.

I'm grateful for central air that makes it comfortable to have a quilt over my lap while I stitch a binding.  I'm not yet halfway finished.

Thanks for visiting.  I hope you have a good weekend.
--Nancy.

10 comments:

  1. That is a great top, it will be wonderful no matter how you decide to quilt it. I'm so thankful that we can use the tables in the fellowship hall at church to pin our quilts. Most of us are too old to be down on our hands and knees these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I often wish I had access to large tables to layer and baste quilts. There are tables at church but I don't think they're big enough to be very helpful. These days, I only get on my hands and knees when I'm attaching the end of a binding, where I have to cut accurately to sew the two ends together. For everything else I bend at the waist, in short stretches of time. It gets the job done, albeit a little more slowly.

      Delete
  2. You may need to rethink the name now while you still can. Did she have a previous name? I had probs w Mo, I had to learn to say STOP! instead of No. Even smart dogs get confused. And I often call him Moses instead of Mo, or I say MoMo. [his AKC name is not Moses but that's what I say]. The other thing I taught him is to stop naughtiness w a finger point and stern look, like one does w toddlers.

    Your quilt will be delightful. What applique stitch do you usually use? And--it will be stronger/ longer if you do not cut behind the appliques---is that bec you hand quilt?

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nona did have a previous name but whenever we bring Airedales from a previous home/situation, we give them new names--new name, new start in a new environment with new people.  The name Nona seems to be working out.  Honestly, we came up with about 60 possible names and actively tried out more than two dozen.  My husband refused some names I loved and offered nicknames (that I couldn't have used) for several other names I loved.  That brought the number of possibilities even lower. 
      Mo is a great name but I never thought of how it could be confused with no.  But it sounds like you have a system that works.  And I can't imagine Mo being naughty.
      I usually applique with tiny, as near invisible stitches as I can make.  I liked that Cheri didn't use a buttonhole stitch to applique, and I hope this method works.  It's one I would probably only ever use on a primitive style quilt.
      Yes, I cut behind the applique because I hand quilt.  I guess I don't think of the need for strength because the top will be quilted with batting and a back which seems like it would be plenty strong.  (Or maybe not....)  I also cut out behind because I thought that was how it was done.

      Delete
  3. I'm wondering about cutting behind the appliqué, too. I've never done it. I think Baptist Fans would look good on the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne-Marie. I've always cut behind applique, I think because I thought that was how it was done. I've never had a problem and have several quilts with applique that have been well-used.

      Delete
  4. I usually follow the outline of the block design when I'm quilting a sampler quilt. The lines are already there so there's no marking. You could still do the Baptist fans in your border. The backing fabric looks really good. It will accent the quilt well. I seldom trim the background of my applique unless it's a large area like a basket or something. You're going to have fun working on this quilt with all the variety.
    Your dog looks so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the idea to outline the block designs, Robin. It's an option I'll think about using. I think I'm going to use a dark green thread for quilting, so the stitches should disappear on the back, but (sadly, because my stitches still look like a beginner) they'll show up on the front. Yes, I hope quilting this will be fun.
      Nona is a very sweet girl, so gentle, unlike the typical boisterous Airedale.

      Delete
  5. What an adorable looking dog. I know she will be sweeter with each day she feels more secure. I wish you a completion on the One Monthly Goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nona is beginning to feel more comfortable here but she still has lots to learn.  Little by little....I was pleased to finish my goal for August.  Thank you, Susan.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...