Thursday, September 14, 2023

Scrappy Stars #4-6, Nona the Fabriholic

This set of stars (#4-6) for Taryn's Scrappy Star Stitchalong went much better than the first three.  When I finally adjusted my thinking and gave in to using fabrics I have that are similar in any way to those in the original stars, I began enjoying making these stars more.  My goal is to recreate the blocks as closely as possible in fabric/fabric style, colors, and placement.  Many thanks to Taryn for hosting this stitchalong.

Block #4, original and mine
Scrappy Star Stitchalong Block #4Clearly, my blues are not as dark or intense and my corner blocks have light lines instead of dark lines.  Even though this block had nine different fabrics, it was the simplest so far, and the most symmetrical as far as color placement.

As I look at the original blocks I can't help but think about the person who created them....

Block #5, original and mine
Scrappy Star Stitchalong Block #5
This block repeated several fabrics from previous blocks.  I'm trying to do the same, though purple fabrics are a real challenge for me.  The lower right square in the original is such fun fabric.  I had nothing remotely similar.

After looking closely at the construction of the blocks, I can't help but wonder if this was a young girl's or young woman's first quilt.

Block #6, original and mine
Scrappy Star Stitchalong Block #6
That blue stripe is a stand-out fabric in the original quilt and I was sure I had a similar stripe somewhere.  But no, I must not have.  This was the closest I could come.  I was puzzled by the two greenish triangles in the bottom and left blocks.  They look like two different fabrics and they look green/grey with prints.  I had nothing similar.  If I happen to find a similar fabric I think I would replace the one I've used.  Really.

Always, when I'm trying to reproduce antique quilts, I wonder about the makers and who they were.  Unless the quilts are signed, we'll never know.  Perhaps they are like me and could never imagine one of their quilts lasting so long, or even being of interest if it did, hence no signature.  Who knows, but it's fun to imagine.

I'm sad this stitchalong is happening only on Instagram.  My experience with sew-alongs is that they build community and are just fun to see everyone else's blocks.  This one feels isolating, though I'm enjoying making the blocks.

These are the current quilt bloggers I know who are participating: 
   > Barb at Fun with Barb
   > Jeanne at Spiral
   > Linda at Koka Quilts
   > Tazzie at Tazzie Quilts
   > Wendy at The Constant Quilter
   > Katy at KatyQuilts
   > Kathleen at A Sentimental Quilter
   > Cynthia at wabi-sabi quilts
See non-bloggers' blocks on Instagram using #scrappystarstitchalong.

Aside from quilting....
There's sweet Nona.  She is enthusiastic about fabric and quilting.  She's eaten a number of scrap triangles I had in a box on the floor, and she decided she didn't like one of the little star blocks so chewed holes into part of it.  (It took a few hours to unstitch, recut fabric, and sew together again.)  I forgot what it was like to have an Airedale assistant quilter.  My previous assistant limited her interest to laying on the blocks and sniffing and rearranging.  I'm keeping small pieces of fabric and finished blocks away from Nona.  I think she needs a different title but I can't decide what it should be.  Definitely a demotion.  ;-)

She had a bath and a clip in preparation for her spay yesterday.  All clean and clipped, she enjoyed a roll in the grass.  What a happy smile!
Our weather has been cool but I think warmer weather is headed our way next week. 

I hope all is well in your world.
--Nancy.

12 comments:

  1. I see Nona is joining us in "eating up" fabric like we
    quilters do--only literally hahaha;)))
    I love your repro stars--you are doing such a super job on these, Nancy--love how they are coming out...hugs for a great weekend Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I hope Nona learns to leave my fabric alone. I'm the only one who should be eating it up, especially when she wasn't invited. ; -)
      Thanks for your kind words about the stars, Julierose. This quilt is so much scrappier than I realized when I first saw it.

      Delete
  2. Your star blocks are turning out great. I like that you explained your choices and decisions in each block the way you would if we were talking face to face. I love the pictures on Instagram but I miss the community aspect as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I think these posts will be a reminder to me of what I was thinking and how I decided which fabrics--at least to some extent.
      I don't have an IG account--IG and I couldn't agree on a name but I know it could also become a rabbit hole to suck up my time looking at other people's photo. And I do like that with a blog post details can be included that probably wouldn't be on IG. I'm wondering again if the popularity of blogging is waning.

      Delete
  3. Your blocks look great! Is purple a challenge because you don't care for that color or just don't have many? I have a number of purple/plum repro scraps I could send if you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat.
      Purple is a challenge because I have so little and I have so little because it's one of my least favorite colors. Thank you for your generous offer to send scraps but I'll try to make do with what I have and substitute where necessary.

      Delete
  4. Your blocks look great! Good stripe finds.

    I second QB above, I have purples and also if needed double pinks to share.

    The piecing of these blocks looks good to me, points and X seams all match. I imagine it's hand pieced, and straight of grain seems disregarded.

    I think it is a crib quilt. Maybe a less experienced young mom to be made it? Sewing at night with poor oil light? I could do a whole story as you do!

    I love how you imagine the maker, and how she'd react to her quilt being loved and studied by so many people, hundred or more years later.

    Try again to join IG. Just make up a name! Tell me if you need help, we can do it together. The pics have been a delight.

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy. I was so sure I had a plain blue and white stripe....
      I'm not a fan of purple so I'm going to try to use what I have. Thank you for your generous offer.
      My thought about the original quilt is that a young girl, perhaps 10-14 years old, made it, possibly for an older sister who was about to have a baby. The piecing and fabric choices and placement look to me like an inexperienced quilter made them. Except for the accidental misalignment on some of my blocks, I'm trying to follow the original quilter's piecing--stripes that are askew, etc.
      I like your idea about the creator, too. Someone on IG suggested that an older woman might have made it, gathering and cutting fabric over a number of years. I wish I knew.
      It's so easy for me to get sucked into social media websites. I looked at Facebook today for the first time in months and ended up wasting half the day! I can hardly imagine what could happen on IG. But I might create an account....

      Delete
  5. Lovely blocks Nancy. Yes, it's interesting to wonder about the quiltmaker of the crib quilt, what was going on there? I've only just realised you joined in too! I don't have any antique /reproduction fabrics so I'm just using what I have in my stash but am so loving this stitchalong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. The original blocks are so quirky and I'm trying to go with that. Will I love the quilt when it's finished or scratch my head that I attempted to reproduce it?
      Your blocks are so fun!

      Delete
  6. Glad you're relaxing into the sewalong and enjoying it more! It does take time to choose just the right bits and scraps. More sewlong frineds -- hooray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanne. I think finding and choosing fabric takes me longer than sewing the blocks!
      Yes, I keep finding more bloggers who are participating--not many more, but a few more.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...