Wednesday, September 6, 2023

The Scrappy Star Stitchalong at Repro Quilt Lover

Taryn is hosting a Scrappy Star Stitchalong at her blog, The Repro Quilt Lover for any of us who want to participate.  She's sharing a late 1900s baby quilt with 20 of the scrappiest 6" Ohio Stars I've ever seen.  We can recreate, newly create, modernly create, or choose fabrics by any method that suits us and our scraps.  Taryn will post three blocks each week with the goal of finishing the stitchalong in October.  Thanks so much for making this quilt available and hosting the stitchalong, Taryn.

One of my favorite ways to make a quilt is attempting to recreate an old quilt as closely as possible.  I'm late starting, having only chosen and cut fabrics for part of the first star last night, and three blocks are already available!  I hope to catch up and finish on time.  Searching for fabrics similar to the ones in the original blocks takes time, even with my limited selection.

I'm sad this will be mostly hosted on Instagram --#scrappystarstitchalong-- because I don't have an account there.  (Instagram and I haven't been able to agree on a name.)  I've noticed that several other bloggers are participating and as I learn of more, I'll probably follow them on Feedly, too.  These are the current quilters I know who are participating: 
   > Barb at Fun with Barb
   > Jeanne at Spiral
   > Linda at Koka Quilts
   > Wendy at The Constant Quilter
If you're not one of these ladies and you're participating, I hope you'll let me know so I can follow your blog, too.  I love seeing the variety of blocks!

I better get back to the fun of looking through my fabric and some sewing.

--Nancy.

6 comments:

  1. The SAL looks like fun. I received a request to make some quilts for my 2 youngest grandsons so I'm going to have to pass on this one. The kind of quilt that can be cuddled up in and dragged around. I'm just going to make some flannel tied quilts. So, I'll be watching from the sidelines and it will be fun to see what everyone chooses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quilts you're working on sound delightful.  Quilts like that become precious because they are used, because Grandma made them, and not just because they were beautifully stitched or had lots of detail.  My husband's sister bought our younger daughter a handmade, tied quilt at a church bazaar.  It became a favorite and we used and used and used it.

      Delete
  2. Your version will be delightful. This is a challenge that plays right to your talents and interests. I want to do it, but have no time, looks like a snowy winter project for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy. This quilt is a challenge, simply because I don't have many fabrics that are similar to the ones in the quilt. Each of these blocks is taking about a day to search through and choose the fabrics--sometimes 12 or 14 per block! It's fun but time-consuming.

      Delete
  3. Look forward to seeing what you do. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. These blocks are a challenge to reproduce. My fabrics are so different from the ones in the quilt so lots of substitutions.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...