Tuesday, October 3, 2023

To Dewey Beach, 2023

I love the ocean and I'd always thought of it as a bright, sunny place to be.  This time, I saw another view of the ocean.

To get to Dewey Beach, Delaware, last week, we drove through cloudy, rainy, cool Ohio, the Appalachians of West Virginia and Pennsylvania, then through Maryland, and into Delaware.  I love that drive.  When we arrived at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge I thought to myself, we're almost there!, forgetting that the ocean was still two hours away.  About an hour later, we saw this "Beaches" sign.  It always makes me chuckle with its collective, non-definitive noun.  The coastline is filled with beaches in both directions!  We only about an hour away!

We knew there was a great possibility that we wouldn't have bright, beautiful, sunny days at the beach this year.  Ophelia had just bypassed Dewey a few days before.  But looking at my phone's weather app and seeing how often it changed from rainy to partly cloudy or partly sunny, I was hopeful that the rain and clouds would be on their way out by the time we arrived.
Not only was it grey and cloudy, it was also rainy, windy--17 to 22 miles/hour winds--and cool--in the mid-60s.  The weather app also told me that there was a flood watch which soon became a flood warning.  Our hotel was on the beach (with an ocean view room).  Should we be concerned?  I asked several people about it and they said it wasn't a big deal.  The hotel's receptionist told us that the water probably wouldn't get to the dune.  If you enlarge the photo above, you'll see a fence just in front of the dune on the ocean-side.  The waves reached that fence but no higher.  I was surprised that the water continued to rise even after high tide had been reached. 

On Tuesday we walked on the beach with a temperature that felt colder because of the wind.

We walked the beach for half a mile or so, then gave up fighting the wind and went back inside.  What does one do on a cool, grey, windy day in October when at the beach?  We headed to the state park's bay-side marina where we found hundreds of boats tethered to dock after dock.  Such a lot of boats!  It was not as windy there.

Next, we went to a small section of a state park where the path meandered through a forest then into a marsh area where we saw tiny fiddler crabs busy hunting for food, or doing whatever crabs do.  It was a wonderful walk, also warmer and less windy away from the ocean, and the rain held off.

On Wednesday we saw a glint of the predicted sun around 9 a.m.
By 10 the clouds had thinned a little giving space for the sun to shine through.

Then clouds returned....
until the weather changed again.  It was still cool and windy but it was wonderful to see sun and blue skies.

We came home a day early:  Thursday was predicted to be as dark, grey, and cloudy as Monday and Tuesday.

I love the ocean no matter the weather.  This was the first time seeing it look grey, with a grey sky above.  I always wondered if the ocean picks up some of its color by reflecting the sky.  Blue sky, blue ocean.  Grey sky, grey ocean.  True or not, it seemed to be accurate this time.  As much as I love the ocean I'm disappointed that the few days we were there weren't sunny and a little warmer.  Had we been there a month, last week's few days would've been a pleasant change and I would have been thrilled to see them.  I'm glad to have seen them this time, and pleased we had part of a day with so much sun, but I'm looking forward to another ocean visit which I hope will be really sunny.

This week the Dewey Beach weather has been perfect!  I'm so happy for the people who are there now.

I'm returning to quilting activities now.  I finished last week's Scrappy Stars but haven't photographed them yet.

--Nancy.

8 comments:

  1. Hi! I knew you were at the beach and wondered how you fared as Ophelia's second bout of storm and flood came on Friday. Good that you'd gone home. I'm sorry you had bad weather.

    btw you must be very careful on the beach when a flood warning is in effect, or flooding is happening. Not only might you be caught by large waves, the sand can become unstable. I got caught in quicksand once! Lost my hiking boots forever and walked a couple miles home barefoot through snow and ice. [ obviously was colder].
    My beach is huge and gorgeous this week. We were lucky the wind stayed from the north. This results in a wide flat beach. Pics on my blog maybe tomorrow.

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lizzy. I didn't realize Ophelia had a second bout. I'm glad we weren't there for it.
      We've noticed in the past how quickly the sand can shift below our feet as the waves come and go. The sand was very unstable.
      How awful to have been caught in quicksand so far from home and even worse that it was in the winter. Did your feet end up with frostbite? That experience sounds like a horrible one!
      Yes, your beach photos were gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. It's a beautiful beach. I like the beach in all kinds of weather, but I'm not particularly a beach fanatic. We used to go to the Jersey beaches and I've spent a lot of time on California beaches. My favorite beach was a rocky promenade on Okinawa where the waves would rambunctiously crash into the cliff. There's a place like that in California, too, north of L.A., but I don't remember the name of it. I'm glad you had a good time, even with gray skies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. It was a beautiful beach. I love the beach in all weather, too, but when it's cold, windy, and rainy, I love it better when I'm inside. Had we been there for two or three weeks and had three or four days like the ones we had, I think I would probably have enjoyed them more, knowing that the other days would be sunny and warmer.
      THe Okinawa beach sounds beautiful, though not the sandy kind one walks on.

      Delete
  3. I loved your photos of the ocean and the clouds...so beautiful and some so moody looking. I could just smell the fresh ocean air that is distinctive. I would have enjoyed seeing the little crabs too and a good woodsy path. What a great time with weather adding its own drama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn. I love that ocean air! Yes, despite the grey, rainy, windy days, it was a great time.

      Delete
  4. It's always nice to get away and have different scenery for a while. Sorry it wasn't sunshiney weather for you, I watch the shows where people in Alaska are working outside in below zero temps and the wind is blowing. I don't see how they do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Robin. Sometimes a different place is like a little vacation from regular life, and we come home with a new view.
      I don't know how people can work outside in strong winds, either. Amazing!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...