Saturday, January 6, 2024

Going on about Bramble Blooms (You do go on....)

I haven't been up to much the past week or so but I finally finished stitching down the flowers, stems, leaves, and circles (under the petals) on my Bramble Blooms block.  (The crock and its motif are still undecided and unstitched.)
Bramble Blooms 1
The center has some changes from an earlier (unstitched) version and another version, below, both with some ideas in progress.
Bramble Blooms 1
  • The crock fabric was a brown/coppery color that looked more green in some lights.  Because of the green it had to go.  The brown in this version (top photo) has some red flower-like shapes.  It is more in keeping with the Albany Slip glaze on our crock.
  • Originally I had the pointed-oval shapes at the base of the flowers (photos above and below).  I really loved them in my original doodle of the flowers, but I couldn't come up with a good color/fabric.  I thought green might work but I didn't have a green that looked great.  So, for now, they're gone.  I will add them if I can find/figure out a color or fabric for them.  I think they added a lot, but maybe they are too much with the motif on the crock?
Bramble Blooms 1
  • I added leaves.  They are a little quirky but I think they're okay.
  • I stitched the circles but now I think the ones at the top near the petals should be at the bottom of the other two so they're near the stem, which would accentuate the curves of the stems.  It's not a big deal to unstitch 18 or 24 stitches per circle and restitch them.  I just want to make sure before I do it.
And the last decision is the motif for the crock.  I made some doodles, some based on images I saw on old crocks.
Bramble Blooms 1
If I use a circle in the center of the crock, it will be no bigger than 2" and I'll use the middle brown of the ones in the lower right corner in the photo at right.  Originally I thought a circle within a circle but then that seemed boring.  But what?  What image would fit in a 2" circle?  On the other hand, knowing what the next border will be, maybe I should choose a motif that I can use again in the next border...?  And, of course, there is the decision about color and fabric for any motif in the circle....

I was concerned that Bramble Blooms might be on hold for a while longer but I see that Audrey posted the next prompt today.  That means I really need to make some decisions quickly!  Many, many thanks to Audrey for the great detail she includes in her posts for these prompts.  I read only part of her new post but will return tomorrow to read the rest and begin playing.

For all of my adult years that I can remember I have been indecisive.  This, or that?  Or would the other be better?  When it's something that requires several decisions (color plus shape, or shape plus placement, etc.) my indecision could go on for weeks or months.  When I do make a decision, I often second- and third-guess it. 

I just started reading The Perfectionist's Guide to Losing Control and have already learned that this indecision is/can be a result of being a perfectionist. The author, Kathleen Morgan Schafler, takes the view that perfectionism is not a negative personality trait/attribute to be overcome.  (Hooray for her.)  No matter how much I try to talk myself out of it, I haven't been able to dissuade myself from aiming at perfection.  Yes, I do want things to be well-done and as near to perfect as I can make them, but when I begin, I realize that perfection is impossible.  It can be daunting.  I'm looking forward to seeing what else she has to day on the topic.

I hope you dear readers have had a great beginning to the new year.  For my part, I hope 2024 will be better than the past two years!

I'm linking this post to
> Finished (or not) Friday at Alycia Quilts
> Can I Get a Whoop, Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.
Thank you for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.

14 comments:

  1. I like your star in the circle on the crock. And I thought just as you did - now that we know what the next border is, it can be chosen to repeat, and a star would be great. You might even be able to piece a wonky one for the cornerstones? (Sheesh - I should be thinking of my own project, but sometimes the creativity just won't contain itself!) I'm glad to see someone has addressed the idea that perfectionism is bad. You do what makes you happy. The rest of us can just deal with OUR OWN demons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and observations about my block, Katie.  Isn't it interesting how we can see the next steps for others' quilts?  I do that sometimes, yet can't always see what to do next for my own quilts.
      The author's stance on perfectionism is that it is not bad and that it can be powerful.  I think it may depend on how we put into practice the attributes of perfectionism.

      Delete
  2. So enjoyed this post, Nancy. I like the star as well and the wonderful deep saturation of colour in your blooms. I need to get busy with mine now. On perfectionism...I used to have a serious problem with just that too and it did render me stumped at times, unable to move forward. A wise person told me to aim for excellence instead because that is achievable...perfect is not. That helped me a bit. But I still do a lot of second guessing esp. about my stitching things which is pretty well all I really work at now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments about my BB1 center, Jocelyn. 
      That's great advice to aim for excellence.  (But I still think as near perfect as possible is better.).  ;-)  Even if I'm only aiming for excellence, I think I would still be indecisive.

      Delete
  3. Love what you have done so far. I esp like the crock w the star. YOur flowers are delightful.
    Perfectionism---not an issue I have, so I shouldn t comment. bc it is an important part of you and how you function. My experience w a perfectionist father and perfectionist ex husband is that the trait can create unrealistic goals and standards that are impossible to achieve---and the result of living up to t heir perfectionism is very painful and hurtful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy. I'm still slightly undecided about the star. It leans toward primitive and seems trite. But I haven't come up with anything I like better.
      Yeh, I think perfectionism is here to stay. I just need to learn to manage it better. I'm so sorry for the pain your father and ex-husband caused because of their unrealistic goals and standards. From my point of view, my perfectionism deals mostly with my own efforts, particularly in the doing and making aspect of life. But because of your comment I'll try to notice if/when/whether my perfectionism spills over towards others. Thank you for that.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE THE CROCK! It is wonderful. I love your choices of designs to applique upon the circle on the crock. Your next quilt could just be lots of crocks with different designs on them My idea of perfectionism is doing the best I can and not apologizing for things I don't do well. An example; I can applique pretty well but don't ask me to machine quilt. (or knit - I just don't have a knack for knitting) As for the little circles on your applique piece, I agree. Your eye wants there to be a curve but I think if you take the one on the far right and put it on the other side and down a little you could get away with just moving one. (Or, don't worry about it and move on to the next border.) I read Audrey's next prompt. I didn't expect there to be more applique so soon. My mind is a blank. It's going to be 16 degrees tomorrow and it's expected to get down to -5 next Monday. What happened? Time to bundle up and the good news is - it's finally hot chocolate weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I've been dithering about that circle and star.... Is a star trite?
      I moved three circles, one under each flower, and am happier with them now. I appreciate your comment about those.
      I was surprised at the next border with applique, too. After I finish the applique on the center I'll pull out fabrics and see what I think about that border and the applique on it. Hmmmm.
      As far as perfectionism, there are things I know I'm not good at and just leave by the wayside for others who can do them well, but the things that I can do, I can't seem to stop pushing myself to do better at them.
      Wow, -5 is really cold. Do you also have wind to make it colder? I'm shivering just thinking about it. We haven't had any temperatures that cold yet, at least not during the daytime when I'm out and about. Enjoy your hot chocolate!

      Delete
  5. Your crock looks right at home in its setting, the star in the center really completes the vignette, and gives you an opportunity to repeat the motif in the borders if you choose. A winning combination in my book! I spent years fussing over everything striving for perfection in my work as well as hobbies. It took me a long time to realize how much that obsession was sucking the joy out of what should have been fun and fulfilling. I'm trying to let go now and enjoy just doing and not worrying so much about the end product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments about my BB1 center, Pat.
      That's a great attitude, to enjoy doing and not worry about the outcome. I'll have to try it (if I can).

      Delete
  6. I really, really like your crock and flowers!! I think the circle with the star is perfect! Love the addition of the little circles. It's a pain being a perfectionist! But I can't help it! Even now I look at my Bramble applique and wonder of it looks childish, should I try again, forget about my plan and star over, AGAIN. (sorry it took so long for me to leave a comment, we have been really under the weather for 3 weeks)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments about my BB1 center, Rebecca. 
      You are my kind of person, Rebecca!  You got it exactly right with your comment, "It's a pain being a perfectionist!  But I can't help it!"  Neither can I.  So why not put it to good use? 
      I just went back to look at your flowers for BB1.  There's nothing childish about it.  I really think it looks as perfect as it could be.  Don't start over this time.  You can start again for BB2, the next quilt.  And really, isn't it getting too late to start again?  Did you see Audrey posted the next prompt for the first border?  I have to get a move on and finish appliqueing the crock!
      I'm so sorry you've been sick, and for so long!  I hope you're doing much better now.

      Delete
  7. I love that you go on!! there are nuggets to be learned - I don't do Applique - so will not attempt to answer any of your questions. Only to tell you - that I LOVE seeing this come together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so generous with your sweet comments about my Bramble Blooms posts, Alycia. Thank you!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...