Thursday, March 21, 2024

Links to Enjoy #22

I haven't been around the internet much these past few weeks, or the sewing machine either, for that matter, so I have only three links to share.  I hope you enjoy them.  (I'm sorry they're all videos, but they're short, if that helps.)

Oh, roundabouts.  I don't like them.  I still think a red/yellow flashing light or even a stop sign works better than a roundabout.  There is one large one in the country not far from us with fields on all four of what-used-to-be corners.  It seems a silly waste of money because there is so little traffic.  Then there is one in a residential area of the city on a narrow side street.  It's probably not more than about 12 feet across.  Another waste of money (in my opinion) and almost a u-turn when a simple left turn was adequate.  And many Ohio drivers don't know how to use them.  Some drivers will sit at the entrance to the roundabout until there are no cars in sight, wait another minute or two, then slowly move into the circle.  I'm happy to drive but I really don't like to waste time in the car.  Let me just get where I'm going.  All that to introduce this roundabout in Swindon, England.  If I go to England, I will avoid Swindon.


Are you a fan of roundabouts?

I used to think making a wine glass sing was a stunt or a trick. Then we bought a few goblets at the thrift store just to try it and learned that they really do sing, though I don't think we ever managed to "play" a song.  We learned that it requires wet fingertips.  (In the video below you'll see the musician dip his fingers into the glasses of water near the center front and rear of the table.)  Our paltry effort was nothing compared to the expertise of this musician.



And then there's the glass armonica, created by Benjamin Franklin, an instrument in which he put glass rims on a revolving rod which rotates for the musician to play.  Amazing!  Many years ago we saw someone play one of these at Colonial Williamsburg.



I think these have such an ethereal sound.

That's it for this installment of Links to Enjoy.  I hope you enjoyed at least one.

--Nancy.

6 comments:

  1. In New England it's called a rotary and there's a dreadful one in Augusta (and another dreadful one in Bangor). In suburban Chicago there was only one that I knew of, at Wolf Road in Des Plaines. They're fine if you know where you're going and thus what lane to hug to spin off at the right time, but if you don't know it's taking your life in your hands. And nowadays there's a trend to create roundabouts at intersections -- not as complicated or as fast as those New England (or Swindon) rotaries, but still confusing. And annoying. To say nothing of the very long time it takes to build the roundabout, requiring "road closed detour" (with more confusion if, again, it's an unfamiliar route anyway).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard roundabouts called rotaries though around here they are also called traffic circles. When I researched a little online it seems that the words are interchangeable but that one or the other is used in various parts of the country.
      The ones you mention sound awful. There's a large one in a nearby city that I would not want to use if I didn't know the city as well as I do.
      It sounds like you and I have similar feelings about roundabouts, Nann.

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy these posts, thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Lizzy. I'm glad you like them.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...